So you need a car for communting, shopping, and for doing the odd jaunt to that London from Lincolnshire..

DaveDorson

Given it's nearly Christmas, everyone is skint, and I've got more on my plate than I'm likely to get done between now and then, I've been doing what every sensible shitter does, and looking at replacing my car.

There's nothing "wrong" with the 307.  It's still a bit clattery and smokey on start up, the cam belt wants doing sooner rather than later, and it needs track rods doing before the next MOT, but it's also still doing 60mpg regularly and getting me to and from work in relative comfort and hasn't yet FTP (It'll do it now to spite me!).

But, I had my performance review at work earlier in the month, and I'm starting to pull my belt in a bit so I can get my life in order. 

The review went really well and it was hinted at to expect a decent chunk more money to play with from my December pay packet.  I'm already £80 a month better off after messing about with a few things I pay out, which means I don't need to think mingebaggery on the car front quite so much anymore.

So, rather than putting another £300 into a £200 car, I think it's time I bought something that cost more than a decent couple of nights out, and purchase a sensible car for what I need.

I tend to cycle a lot.  I've got an estate MK4 golf I don't give a shit about that can be used for this, it can also be used for chod chasing if I need to and dragging my trailer tent about.  This car doesn't need to be a good load lugger, but I will be required to ferry myself, Mrs Dorson, and a couple of full sized adults to and from places in comfort, as well as shopping, so I need a boot that's also of a reasonable volume.

My commute daily is Stamford, to Peterborough, I live inside Stamford, so I have to drive through it to get to the A1, but work is opposite the show ground, as such it's half an hour, 15 mins of which is likely faffing about in Stamford getting to the A1.  Then obviously I need to come home.  Which means traffic, because the A1 is often shagged up near Wittering.  As such I'd rather an automatic.

If I do have an automatic, I want an engine that suits that.  So either a big Petrol, or a Diesel of a reasonable size.  Ideally a Diesel.  Modern diesels are not as tractor as older stuff, as such I'm perfectly happy to have one.  I'd rather one, as I'm tight, and don't want to be chucking fuel in endlessly, as we have toys for that.

I'd rather have something that's a nice place to be.  I like leather seats, but they have to be comfortable ones, they're not a must.

I'd prefer something with Nav as well.  I know I can add stuff like that later, but it'd be nicer if it was factory stuff.

I'd rather megavalu! over car park bragging rights.  As I said, I've got toys, my daily driver is a tool, but that doesn't mean it can't be nice.

So what does that leave me?

Well, I've been looking at the following:

Alfa Romeo GT Coupe.   Never had a modern Alfa, had a couple of 33's for a bit, sold them quickly, do like them but the horror stories are a bit scary.  What's the 1.9 JTD like?, I know they're usually manuals because drivers car.. I can cope with a manual if it's not a horrible one.

How do they drive?, the roads around here are a bit of a shocker.  I'd much rather float over stuff than crash and bang.

Peugeot 407 (I've been looking at the Coupe.  We don't have kids, but go out with friends a lot).  I understand it's got a high tax engine if I go for the V6 one, but the 2.0 HDI might work out OK, remember this is primarily a tool.  They look a nice place to be inside, and the coupe comes with toys and apparently are nicer screwed together than the saloon and estate variants.

C6 is usually out of budget unfortunately, but damn they look good inside and out. Again though, some horror stories put me right off.  I know big Citroens ride lovely. 

What else is actually out there for my imaginary £3k budget?

The roads around here are honestly, utterly atrocious.

I'm not sure my spine would take it.  I've even considered fitting suspension to my bicycle, and I'm not a fan of suspension on bicycles :D

Modern BMW's although apparently brilliant, in my experience, ride horribly.

The roads around here are honestly, utterly atrocious.

I'm not sure my spine would take it.  I've even considered fitting suspension to my bicycle, and I'm not a fan of suspension on bicycles :D

Modern BMW's although apparently brilliant, in my experience, ride horribly.

Aye the suspension on our 320d m sport is rock hard,that's why i looked for a SE.

Keep looking..

I'm also a fan of a comfy ride, and finished up with a Merc W203 for that reason. I've just discovered that mine has the sports pack but it's lovely and wafty even so. Comfy seats and I love the big glass area (mine is an estate).

They tend to be a bit leggy but I found mine for £3.3k on an 07 with 97k miles. To get under £3k you'd be looking at something a couple of years older, but make sure it's post-facelift (generic-looking twin clocks rather than the big central speedo) as apparently they are less prone to rust.

Mine is a C220 CDI. So far it hasn't been great on fuel but it's mostly just sat in traffic, however the run home from Dorset last night wasn't too bad and I got it over 40mpg according to the on-board computer.

I also want nav and a USB or SD slot for music so I'll be getting a generic Android head unit for it. Built in nav is usually cack anyway.

If I didn't need an estate for dog duties I'd be finding it very hard to resist the C6 that's on here, nothing can beat a hydraulic Citroën for ride quality.

Mine is a 124. They are very very good cars such a great drive. Yup thirsty for a regular commute except the diesels or the small engines. Are you restoring for yourself? 

Yeah, one's a 2.0 wagon that's been sat at a workshop in corby to have the welding done for ages.  I need to kick the bloke's arse a bit on that one.

The other is a 300E saloon that I'm doing for myself, but won't run properly.

Yeah, one's a 2.0 wagon that's been sat at a workshop in corby to have the welding done for ages.  I need to kick the bloke's arse a bit on that one.

The other is a 300E saloon that I'm doing for myself, but won't run properly.

2.0 are very overlooked so good to see one looked after. I many be stating the obvoius - have you changed the rotor on the distributor mounted horizontally right on the front of the engine. Often neglected as fiddly to get to. 

Notice your thread title - remember ULEZ if driving to Central London is a thing

Aye.

When I say drive to London, what I always mean, is drive to Cockfosters, then do the sensible thing and use the bloody transport system instead.

If I had to do any work related travel that meant going into the citeh, they can book me a car.

2.0 are very overlooked so good to see one looked after. I many be stating the obvoius - have you changed the rotor on the distributor mounted vertically right on the front of the engine. Often neglected as fiddly to get to. 

Aye, new plugs, leads, cap, arm.  It's a fueling fault somewhere in the depths of the K-Jet.

I think I need to crack the fuel dissy open.  I just don't want to do it to myself.

As said don't overlook an older Mercedes.

Facelift E211 -  2006 onwards isn't a bad shout. I use mine on a 50 mile daily commute. Comfy old bus with decent economy from the OM642 diesel when on a run (less so in town).

Bought at 125k and have put on circa 25k in 18 months for little outlay. I believe the gearbox can prove troublesome though......

It says everything that when choosing which car to use (Wife's modern Volvo 5 cylinder tractor costing 5 times as much as the E211), we both automatically reach for the Mercedes key! 

My Rover 75 estate seems to tick all of your boxes (diesel, auto, nav, mega-comfy heated leather seats), and for a shedload less than £3K.  Mine isn't for sale, but I'm sure you could find another.

Sounds a good idea. These and the X-Type came out about the same time. I always thought the Rover looked better and is a great looker in estate form. 

My Rover 75 estate seems to tick all of your boxes (diesel, auto, nav, mega-comfy heated leather seats), and for a shedload less than £3K. Mine isn't for sale, but I'm sure you could find another.

Yeah they're on the radar, I think they look good in a few of the colours but I'm also wary of the annoying little issues that people seem to get ever increasingly frustrated with. Leaking through trim holes, that sort of thing. And the last MG/Rover I had infuriated me with the cheap feeling plastics and rust forming in odd places. In all fairness it was a zr105 facelift but it still annoyed me.

Mark 4 Mondeo TDCi.

That's all you need. Well made, rides well, nice to drive and durable. £2000 for a really clean one that's still new enough to avoid old car rubbish like rusty brake pipes.

P.S Rover 75? X Tripe Jag? They're £500 bangers.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810261856829?sort=price-asc&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&maximum-mileage=100000&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&make=FORD&postcode=ox201qz&model=MONDEO&year-from=2009&page=1

post-3069-0-30335100-1542633492_thumb.jpg

Mark 4 Mondeo TDCi.

That's all you need. Well made, rides well, nice to drive and durable. £2000 for a really clean one that's still new enough to avoid old car rubbish like rusty brake pipes.

P.S Rover 75? X Tripe Jag? They're £500 bangers.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810261856829?sort=price-asc&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&maximum-mileage=100000&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&make=FORD&postcode=ox201qz&model=MONDEO&year-from=2009&page=1

attachicon.gifbae83f16caff492f98f0be99d6e27b29.jpg

That is of course, an incredibly sensible choice.

I love these threads, it's just like that daft programme Modern wheels, classic steals, where we mostly ignore the proposer's criteria and budget; let me be the first to nominate Eddy's Cadillac

It's larger than my current off street parking.

I have done the silly thinking about stuff like that, and v12 Jags, and just patching the Pug through ad-infinitum to keep things turning and the money coming in.