Cheap AWD for winter - trying to predict the weather....

83C

Father DR has the high output V8 grand cherokee, he reports it's very good in mud with a tractor and trailer on the back but perhaps not as good as the Monterey it replaced which had a genuine LSD rear axle and was pretty much unstoppable.

Part-worns are ok if inspected beforehand - bearing in mind any used car comes with a set of part-worn tyres by default. That said, nowhere I know down here does them now.

Just this evening I've had bought a set of part worn Vredestein Winter Tyres which are a couple of years old for £70.. Bargin!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

I've got a spare set of 4 Continental 165/70 14" TS800 winter tyres, with over 6mm tread, on wheels to fit a VW Up! if anyone's interested.

The youngest has now got the car and he's nowhere to store them.

Possibly interested, just need to confirm they'll fit my Daihatsu. where are you/the wheels?

Also, shouldn't they be on the car seeing as its winter?

Yep, they should fit, so as long as I'm not treading on anyone's toes dibs please.

From the HMC Motors Xantia thread....

Sorry to HMC, but hopefully good news to someone else.. I have to pull out of buying the Xantia. 

My classic insurance says NO. Normal insurance is crazy for me (circa £1200!!!) because no "no claims" and Beruit. 

I thought I was safe saying yes because they'd previously quoted me, however "that was at a different address".. Bastards. 

I hate giving people the mess around. Soz.

Xantias are good in foul weather but I wouldn't use the highest suspension setting for long, there's no suspension travel at all.

No, it’s not exactly the most comfortable setting. However, for short bits of slow progress it will be fine. Just need to acquire some winter tyres for it now...

We used to have a 2005 2 litre Kia Sportage with Vredestein winter tyres. It was fine in 2wd for the most part and if the going got properly tough 4wd kept us going. We even towed an astravan out of a ditch and back up the hill with it. Great wee car until it burned a valve.

Recently I've been considering buying something AWD for a winter spare car.

I have to drive quite regularly over bits of road that can be a bit shit in poor weather, and I don't think the current 5-series will be much cop with its autobox. Last year I had my old 5 with a Spanish box and turn-offable traction control which worked just fine in snow.

Thing is, just about everyone else seems to have had the idea of buying something AWD and there are no cheap ones about. I'd prefer something manual, diesel would be nice but not a deal-breaker. Budget is playing a big part as usual, preferably less than £500. I'm down to looking at Freelanders and the like but most of them seem to have had the propshaft removed.

So what do the AS massive think will happen this winter? Are we in for a proper winter or is it just going to be a wet fart at the arse end of autumn again?

You do know as soon as you buy something that'll be the end of winter?

Just 3 months of cold rain for you to enjoy....

That is grim, and 2wd.

A set of decent all season tyres solves most problems, you only need 4wd if you are towing caravans out of fields regularly.

My 1.4 pez zx with pretty worn tyres was fab in the snow we had years ago! Going up one particularly steep hill it was doing 75 with both wheels spinning but it was going up so I left it be. After that it just bimbled ong quite happily driving around all the sideways idiots!

My puma was also very good, although it had quite new tyres on it at the time so that might have helped. Myself and Amy went for a drive once we'd dug it out to see if she could get down the hill to go to work, which she couldn't so I abandoned it on the verge with the hazards on (probably, you couldn't tell what was road, verge or field) and we went for a wander. Came back to some guy filming it and it was in the opening credits to the itv news all that day... We told the guy we were just mooching around and jumped in, turned it on and drove back home with no bother at all! (maybe a bit of fun here and there, the roads were deserted!)

Never had snow like that again whilst I had to drive though, they shut the office and made everyone wfh last year when it snowed a bit so the laguna stayed buried in it and we played in the garden/with the other kids on the estate. Much more fun!