Parts Bin Specials

Aston Martin

I love a hodge-podge. Especially if it's a dying company rooting around to cobble together a 'new model'

The MGF, the front/back half of a Metro and 200 switchgear?

BUYING-MGF-5.jpg

The first BMW Compact. I'm not entirely sure this works, but it's an E36 chopped into two thirds, with the rear end of an E30.

matt-car-001-538c6788d3e4c.jpg

Do your worst, or mod delete...

Citroen LNA, Visa, ZX and BX were all considered and described as parts bin efforts at the time. People on here got a bit cross last time I described the BX as such, though. Dunno why, it's made from all Peugeot parts except the LHM bits. I hated its looks when it came out after all the subtle complex curves of the GS/a, but mustardmit a smart early one can look very distinctive now.

post-4845-0-28115500-1542390581_thumb.jpgpost-4845-0-74545500-1542391403_thumb.jpgpost-4845-0-83370300-1542391348_thumb.jpgpost-4845-0-51102800-1542391909_thumb.jpg

There is always "that" door handle which graced loads of BL cars from the Marina to the Range Rover, before escaping to things like the Lotus Esprit. Most low volume manufacturers raid the big boys' parts bins although you did get the daft ones who would tool up for, or commission thousands of bespoke parts when they were building a few hundred cars.

Expanding into bikes, the Suzuki Bandit was a complete parts bin special that took off and spawned a whole new sector (factory street fighter)

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Do you think so? I didn't think they were any different to most UJM's made before it, I thought the 600 I bought was a load of crap, and it only had 3k miles on it, the triumph speed triple was a much more convincing effort (900, 855 and 955)

Do you think so? I didn't think they were any different to most UJM's made before it, I thought the 600 I bought was a load of crap, and it only had 3k miles on it, the triumph speed triple was a much more convincing effort (900, 855 and 955)

Triumph done it properly, but the bandit was cheap. Late 90s early 00's you had fightered bandits everywhere.

The 1200 is a different beast, night and day

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

TVR should take the Gold Medal for the ultimate parts bin special with the original Grantura. Coventry Climax or MGA engines to make it go and Austin Healey brakes to make it stop. Obvious  externally are the Mark1 Cortina rear lights and Spitfire number plate light headlights presumably generic Lucas 7", not so obvious the Mark2 Consul windscreen :o One I just found by accident was that the door handles were from the Austin Metroplitan of all things.

The Land Rover Discovery 1, about 95% of it is old Range Rover mixed with a little bit Defender, draped with Austin/Rover/BL trim (rear lights from Maestro van, early fronts from a Sherpa van, exterior door handles from a Marina, Interior from a Maestro, stalks from various Rovers, and randomly, under the bonnet, the power steering Resevoir comes from BMW, despite BMW not having any involvement with Land Rover at that time.

The Land Rover Discovery 1, about 95% of it is old Range Rover mixed with a little bit Defender, draped with Austin/Rover/BL trim (rear lights from Maestro van, early fronts from a Sherpa van, exterior door handles from a Marina, Interior from a Maestro, stalks from various Rovers, and randomly, under the bonnet, the power steering Resevoir comes from BMW, despite BMW not having any involvement with Land Rover at that time.

The PS reservoir is generic ZF. Also used by Porsche. Same ZF # as the ones on my 928s.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

I recently owned two mk4 Mondeos at the same timepost-17414-0-75872800-1542402878_thumb.jpeg

Here they are with the family bike Fiat between them.

The only glaringly obvious common component was the driver's door electric window and mirror switch panel. If the Volvo was a 4 instead of 5 cylinder it would have had more prominent Ford ( PSA) components , a bit like our C30 ( Focus)

Sometimes this is a really bad thing because it's basically an existing model with a new badge, classic 'old wine new bottles'.

I don't think that's a criticism you can level at the MGF (e.g.). Rover wanted a small open two seater and I think they approached it from the basis of 'what do we have that is good and could be reused?'. I can't see anything wrong with that, the MGF wasn't a Metro and what practical purpose does it serve to create a whole inventory of new parts for a lowish volume car. Pragmatism is often a strength, especially when it means a new model can be launched quickly and at a relatively low cost.

If you look at, say, VAG, they recycle parts all over the shop for the various new models* that their various brands develop*.

Zastava (Yugo) - Fiat 128.

Yugo 45,55,65 - Fiat 127

FSO 1300, 1500, 125 p - Fiat 125

Lada Classic - Fiat 124

Fiat seem to have done bloody well flogging off their 60s and 70s designs and factory hardware beyond the iron curtain.

Not really parts bin specials though, it was part of FIAT's business strategy to sell on old designs and Polski-FIAT made things like the 126 for FIAT back in the 1970s and 1980s. Rootes did the same by flogging the Minx / Hunter to Iran (where it became the Peykan) and let's not forget that the Morris Oxford became the Hindustan Ambassador while the FD Victor became the same company's Contessa.

Things like the LNA and Samba are more 'parts bin' models than anything sold off to another manufacturer / country in my book.