1991 Toyota Corolla 1.6GL Executive

pandamonium

Just figured out it has an intermittent rear wiper!

In other news, got my hire car from work for a trip next week. 1.5 petrol in a car this big?!

attachicon.gifIMG_20181201_122308.jpg

It would have had a Diesel engine in it but now demon diesel back to a petrol it is. Back Manaus many years ago, if you had a consul cortina with a 1500 lump in it you had a 'big motor there mate'. Fast Fordward 60 years and we are back there.

Just figured out it has an intermittent rear wiper!

In other news, got my hire car from work for a trip next week. 1.5 petrol in a car this big?!

attachicon.gifIMG_20181201_122308.jpg

That’ll be a turbocharged lump.

We had a loaner 1.4 Astra turbo when my daily was in for recall work. I wanted to dislike it, but, by god it was an absolute HOOT.

I’d imagine the Insignia will go pretty well, but it’s bound to have a drinking habit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how long this car will hang around, it's already annoying me.

I'm not a fan of automatics at the best of times, and this has something that bothers me. Not a misfire as such, more of a murmur. Like a faint pulse when accelerating or decelerating gently. I'm very oversensitive with cars, so it's probably just me not being used to a carburettored engine, I've been spoiled for a few years. 

I think if it was a manual, I'd persevere and do all the service items and maybe even replace the carb for peace of mind. 

But the fact it is an auto is a minus point for me. Am I weird? Probably. Whatever the case, expect this up for sale/ Swap etc by the new year. 

Mind you, I've done nearly 650 miles in just over a week and it's been comfy and lovely to bomb around in. 

I had one same colour n spec as yours but a manual; It had a short test when I bought it n two clicking CV's - I bought two replacement shafts to cure that €100 for the pair...

I did use black electrical tape to hide a small rust hole in the outer sill, to the rear; which the tester never did spot (later down the line I did get the welder out n patch up the rust...

I did have all sorts of trouble trying to get it pass emissions; n I went asking round the scrapyards had they a carb'd corolla in for breaking; no joy, but one of the lads gave me directions to an old school mechanic who 'could tune the carb' - I was doubtful but followed the directions to the mechanics place...

...turned out he was very elderly and only had one functioning eye, but he had a great turn of wit n set about hooking up the exhaust to his ancient gas analyser - he spent about 3 hours arsing about with various screws on the carb, n only charged me €30... a decent old skin, he told me he was a widower n was now living in a mobile home on site, having gifted his house to his only daughter who'd recently got married...

...anyhow, it flew the test after his magic carb twiddling n I kept it 3 years before selling it to a mate who was bugging me to sell it to him; 2 weeks after Id sold it, it was written off; he'd lent it to his mother who drove too quick round a bend n drove it in under a tractor trailer...

Mine was a 92 from memory n was a 'runout model' had all sorts of  GTi bits like bigger ARB, GTi spec shocks n springs; it handled really, really well... my gripe with it was its hugely dull interior n unsupportive seats - they are great cars tho...

Calling this a For Sale thread, as it will be moving along at some point. I've advertised it for £895 to the general public, but would be £650 for one of you lot.

I'd rather do a swap deal, as it is my only car, and I can't handle the stress of 'needing a car' 

What do I want? Medium sized car, of this genre and preferably this age, but with a manual gearbox. 

The percieved wisdom, in OZ Toyo circles, is DUMP THE P.O.S !

..... I wouldn't ignore such lager leavened words ;)

Go Weber

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-WEBER-32-36-DGV-CARBURETTOR-CONVERSION-KIT-1BBL-TO-2BBL-MANUAL-CHOKE-/323369244145?pageci=8546c915-ab9d-4c11-84e1-f1cacf5ec8c6&epid=14021856802

Been fixing stuff. Bumper had been pushed in on one side, and was really annoying me. 

I'll let the pictures do the talking... 

Wonky

post-1804-0-50796200-1546346424_thumb.jpg

Bumper off

post-1804-0-91572200-1546346499_thumb.jpg

Note warped bumper

post-1804-0-62898500-1546346565_thumb.jpg

Heat gun helped that.

post-1804-0-85351200-1546346639_thumb.jpg

Used a jack to lever the bumper bracket out.

post-1804-0-98980900-1546346711_thumb.jpg

Reassembled. Looks better, I think.

post-1804-0-62689500-1546346818_thumb.jpg

While I was on, noticed rear bumper alignment issue.

post-1804-0-15519100-1546346874_thumb.jpg

And fixed. 

post-1804-0-20453800-1546346919_thumb.jpg

Do I still want to sell it? I guess, but really it is the perfect car except that I don't like the fact it is an automatic.