This *MIGHT* be a collection thread

Fabergé Greggs

Yeah two grand is probably alright but definitely not total barg territory.

I really want an estate and had it been one of those I would have paid 2000 all day long.

The mot history was ace, but it also had a touch of the low mileage giffer disease- one of the rear calipers was sticky, the belts were cracked, the HT leads were brittle as anything, just that general vibe that everything would need doing as soon as you put it to use.

The driver's side carpet appears to be held together with what looks like gaffer tape...

For £2k I'd consider myself lucky and happily part with my 940 estate, it's on 86k and comes in the desireable 2.3 turbo flavour with an M50 manual box, I'm amazed that they've managed to get that for a sedan with ripped carpets and baggy seat pockets.

Crazy money.

Interior aside, it's a dull, ugly car. And it's too old to be as reliable as its reputation. Who needs it? At about £300 (for an estate) they were tempting but at these prices I just can't see why anyone would want one.

Hope you had a nice day out. Now get that little french thing bought. ;)

It's one of those cars that's just gone up and up in value without anyone noticing. Of course, these are now in that 'oh hey my grandad/weird uncle/geography teacher had one' nostalgia stage so that adds a fair bit onto the price.

I wanted and would still fancy a 760, but one of the early ones. 

I think Saab values have done the same, it's weird how many old cars I have owned in a short space of time but the 900 has got the most attention by a long way. I suspect old Volvos are the same. Plus y'know, a red interior! Personally i prefer the dark blue they did but still.

Just goes to show how mental the car market is these days. Not knocking it, the cars are worth what people will pay but if you want a bargain Volvo you need to go for a C70 as they are at the bottom of their curve. Anything older is probably big money.

Like the Mercs, CLKs are silly money at the mo, even a 500 can be picked up for under £2k.

Face it we're all old. Anything 'interesting' is attracting money these days. We need to readjust to the bargains 1998-2003 to get the proper shite bargains.

Ive seen the inside of the Blackbushe BCA too many times, when we've been over for 'wave yo handz up in'de air, when yo feeling like ye just don't care' - newer shite buying for the family; they've some right old ruze's going like, spendy catalogue that's stapled together all wrong; 'keys fees'... last July was the last time I was over, but we did win a nice 14 Focus for the sister, n myself n my bro drove it from there up to the boat (for which  a ticket was bought at the 'gate at 1.10am for CASH!! - n we got a full Plod search n siff by their mutts, of overselves n the car respectively - we couldn't remember the reg to new car/ no sleep, but they let us on the boat) 

...My old man is big into the trip n bidding excitement ; one year we attended the 'full days action' event making up part of the posse that were led around to the 'salvage lots'- £800 'dash fire' Rollers, stoved Subaru's etc..

Didn't the 'total shitters' / council estate chariots sub £2k sale used to take place on a Saturday morning?? Some right old dogs tramping through the lanes, the cars that is...

That saloon looks gorgeous, the interior really is a bit special too. Shame it went so high. Value’s are creeping up slowly but I think that only applies to particularly nice ones for the most part.

Here’s mine...

post-3771-0-48117500-1542236921_thumb.jpeg

One year newer than the above car, less mileage, estate, higher spec.

I was given it for free a couple of years ago!

They are still around at good prices if you look hard enough.

Oh, and just by the by, if you were to offer me £2k for mine...

I’d still tell you to f*** off!!

2k for a 740GL saloon is strong but the mileage is a big factor. The excessively green GLE estate I had only fetched £800. It was a tidy car too but on 175k.

If you really want one just keep an eye on C&C, they come up on there faitly regularly.

Re. that prices going up thing, I think we, as in we, who spend our lives on a beige forum, just fail to notice the fact that money is worth fuck all nowadays. Or does anyone of you really realise that what 1,000 Pounds bought you in 2000 costs £1,651.07 now?

There is a synonym for inflation. It's called 'theft'.

Re. that prices going up thing, I think we, as in we, who spend our lives on a beige forum, just fail to notice the fact that money is worth fuck all nowadays. Or does anyone of you really realise that what 1,000 Pounds bought you in 2000 costs £1,651.07 now?

There is a synonym for inflation. It's called 'theft'.

This I think is about right.

If you look at it from an outside Autoshite mindset, £2k isn’t really much at all nowadays. Very similar was said on the thread about the £3.5k Pug 405. Really, that sort of money to a lot of people isn’t that much.

You just have to look at the crap most people are driving day to day now, the amount of Range Rover’s, BMW’s, Merc’s, Audi’s etc etc. They cost a shit load, even on lease, but there’s loads around and people still afford to pay for them and replace them after 3 years or whatever. Suddenly £2k for an old car to use as a toy isn’t that much.

I’ve got to be honest, and I’m sure most of you lot will call me mad, but if someone offered me £2k for mine I’d turn it down.

Not because I think it’s worth more (it’s not!) but because I don’t consider £2k to be worth getting excited over. It’s not that much, and I’d rather keep the car than have the £2k.

Cars like these of this age you don’t tend to want or have if all you want is transport. You can pick up a perceived ‘better’ car for less than that anyway these days. Sometimes things are worth more than money?

I wouldn’t sell my Capri either regardless of what people would or have offered me for it. I want the car not the cash.

I'm not even sure I would take a small profit on my Fezzer.    Driving sub-£2K cars (all of mine are/were except the Damper van) does indeed put you in a different mind-set to the usual take on residuals or profit/loss.   I am damn sure I couldn't replace any of mine for what they are "worth".   There honestly are people at work who have spent more on TV sets, "cheap" foreign holidays and 3 piece suites than most of my cars cost.