Wanted: Volvo 740/940 estate

Fabergé Greggs

Do it.

I've had 240, 740 and 940, and my favourite of the three was the 740, a GLE estate in 2.3 auto flava.  Pretty much a perfect car, says the man who owns his third Cadillac and covets another Jag.

That sums it up.

It does everything, but competence in all areas isn't something we generally look for in a friend. I want to spend my time with interesting & fun people, and cars.

Still would though.

^ Looks like it's had some welding for it's recent MOT...

"Nearside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength inner wing (5.3.6 (a) (i))"

Also has a hefty oil leak by the sound of things.

They do that... it's not a difficult repair and they are known for it. Other areas to watch are boot wells, sills ends, front crossmembers and badly repaired or damaged jacking points.

The Council Estate is still very solid despite appearances, but even it's had welding there in the past. The issue is if the drain holes in the chassis legs are plated over cos they fill up and rot out.

As has been said many places, from MY87 rustproofing on 700s was much improved, 760s rot much more severely than 740s and quality on the very last 900s just wasn't up to ths standard of earlier models; 88-93 seems to be the sweetest spot in terms of build quality and rust resistance.

The V6s are a bit shite, diesels are really not that much better on fuel than the petrols, all 2.0s (B200) and 16v 2.3s (B234) are interference engines, the 2.3 (B230) 8v isn't. All Turbos are 8v - the 940 added the option of a 2.0, 155bhp high pressure turbo which wasn't a bad mill at all.

Until the mid 90s all manual 2.3s and diesels were 4+OD which rarely give any issues, manual 2.0s were all 5-speed. From about 1995 manual 2.3s got the 5-speed M90 gearbox which is a development of the 5-speed in the 850. 2.0 autos are 3+OD Aisin Warner 'boxes, 2.3s were ZF 4HP22 until the 940 series when all autos were AW.

In terms of all round usability my personal preference is the 2.3 8v injected GLE auto 740 with the ZF 'box but these are getting rarer; that said, the 2.3LPT in late model 940s develops roughly the same power but is a much torquier unit.

Three words to avoid on a Volvo are on the chassis plate - Made In Sweden. Belgian ones are by far the better built ones.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You've just reminded my that my Gran had a 740.  I asked her what the little button on the top of the gear knob was and she said it was 'overdrive'.  I didn't understand it at the time - I was about 7 - but now I know what she actually had.  It would have been the 2.3.  They always bought powerful versions...

My '96 940 LPT was bought purely on condition, underneath looked pretty much brand new and aside from a small amount of corrosion round the battery tray it was all gravy, probably due to having covered very few miles and living down South all of it's life. My major gripe with it is that it's such a clean car I'm reluctant to use it for lugging stuff to the tip etc and doing the usual Volvo things, slightly counter intuitive and sort of defeats the object really.

I spent the summer injecting it with Dynax S50 and covering everything that's exposed in UB so in theory it should be well protected, that being said Ill probably avoid using it in particularly salty/nasty winter weather.Come the summer I may well look to sell it and buy a rougher/cheaper one that I won't feel as precious about.

Interesting about the Swedish Vs Belgium made cars, I'll have a look the next time I'm near it.

I’ve a skanky old V40 Auto estate sitting around doing nowt. Recently mot’d, ‘‘tis taxed and sitting.

I bought it when my left leg needed substantive surgery last Autumn, I found the gap ‘tween bulkhead & brake big enough to allow a thick plaster Cast! It served me fine, to the extent I fitted a tow bar - although I relented , for larger alternatives shortly after.

P plate, lots of miles, red with lacquer peel, it’s a solid trustworthy boring old lump. Battery’s off but it’ll start first turn, and is fit to go. Might have an oil leak , allegedly rectified by local garage. I’m uncertain. Other than that, years in it, methinks

Cheapies if wanted, but it is in Littlehampton, on the south coast! Sitting outside the rail station, cos that’s the last time I used it!