Wanted: Volvo 740/940 estate

Fabergé Greggs

Decided that I’d like to try a brick: preferably turbo, preferably auto, preferably an estate.

I’m Scottish so I figure it’s allowed even if I’m currently south of the border.

I’ve always wanted a pez turbo and I’ve yet to have one, and I’ve always fancied tinkering with boost valves and ecu’s to get some free horses, apparently you can get 200hp out of these without too much bother.

Having got 50mpgs out of the Skoda for a while, I figure I can get 25mpgs out of one of these and still average 37.5mpg overall.. not bad huh?

Anyone know of one for sale, or have any thoughts on the matter?

Highly recommend. I swear by them and have had old Volvo’s almost my entire driving career, got my first at age 18!

They’re very very good cars, bullet proof reliability and strong old workhorse’s. Though, particularly early 700 models they can feel a bit dated in the way they drive now if your used to more modern stuff.

Early 700’s imho are the best lookers but they’re starting to become scarce now as they’re well on the way to being at least 30 years old by now. Later 900’s are better built and equipped though.

I’ve had my current one nearly 3 years now, an early flat front 740 2.3GLE auto estate. That’s my ideal preferred spec tbh but I was given it for free, got it back on the road again after it’d sat rotting on a driveway and it’s been faultless really since. Before this one I had a flat front 740 saloon in the same spec which was a beautiful car and, again was faultless the entire 8 years or so I had it.

I must say though I wouldn’t buy one if mpg concerns are a big issue though!

There’s 2 estates (J reg and K reg) sat on a driveway near where I live along side a Skoda. One red one blue, the red one has been sat there many years and has some huge lumps of moss growing on its roof! The blue car looks good though.

There was a sign on them saying ‘possibly for sale, knock door for info’.

I did think about having them both a while back, making one good car out of two but, being 900’s you can still pick up good roadworthy cars for so little it’s probably not worth it unless you want a project.

Decided that I’d like to try a brick: preferably turbo, preferably auto, preferably an estate.

I’m Scottish so I figure it’s allowed even if I’m currently south of the border.

I’ve always wanted a pez turbo and I’ve yet to have one, and I’ve always fancied tinkering with boost valves and ecu’s to get some free horses, apparently you can get 200hp out of these without too much bother.

Having got 50mpgs out of the Skoda for a while, I figure I can get 25mpgs out of one of these and still average 37.5mpg overall.. not bad huh?

Anyone know of one for sale, or have any thoughts on the matter?

I shared a 940GLE saloon on the eBay that thread yesterday..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk