Daihatsu YRV turbo 130 (off to pastures new).

Joey spud

I got the sparkly stick out today.

The plan was to cut out the rear end of the o/s sill and see what's what but i wasn't too happy with the front of the sill either.

I was able to knock a hole thru it if i used a chisel.

post-5233-0-49765700-1542048664_thumb.jpg

So that'll be a 45cm x 12cm bit of zintec required then.

I think i have caught this just in time as once i had ground away the spot welds the middle stiffener panel was nice and shiney.

One more winter and i think the rust would have gone to town.

post-5233-0-77933400-1542049460_thumb.jpg

I have made a start covering the void but the light beat me today.

post-5233-0-44207000-1542053236_thumb.jpg

^^ just for mr egg ^^

When I had a 1.3 n/a YRV and a Yaris TSport, someone on the internet said that the Tsport manual boxes could be made to fit the YRV turbo. Dunno if it's true though. Would be grand if it was as the box on the YRV turbo seems to be it's downfall usually.

Loving the updates man. Great to see stuff getting done.

I said here the other day that i had never owned a Daihatsu.

Then i remembered my F50 truck that i used as a workshop mule back in the mid 90's.

post-5233-0-42170700-1542054294_thumb.jpg

With its 2500cc diesel power it could pull most things if it could get traction but its body was rather rotten with patches welded onto patches.

The front panel was sculptured almost entirely of filler and it was my first effort (and last) at respraying a whole vehicle using synthetic truck paint.

Good old truck,wish i had it still today.

On 13/11/2018 at 13:14, sierraman said:

Love a good welding thread.

Are the RAC not too good an outfit to work for?

I could write a book about what has happened to a once great company but when i left i had to sign a non disclosure agreement.

Various Private Equity groups and off shore owners (Singapore investment group anyone?) have used it as a cash cow for a few years now loaded it with debt,sold what they could and stripped everything else back to the bare bones.

The bloke in charge hasn't got a clue about running a once well respected 100+ year old breakdown organisation but fair play he is brilliant at making short term record profits for the greed driven investors.

I requested a YRV as a courtesy car from CH Bull in Bridge of Weir about 10 years ago( just to see what it would be like), after someone twatted my Rover 620 and the insurance company decided that a garage dealing in an obscure Japanese marque would be ideal for the task of repairing it. It was in the middle of January and the heater in said YRV was like a hamster farting. My wife was delighted*

Anyway, as you were...

1.2mm zintec is the way forward when it comes to scabby 14 year old Jap cars which is just as well as i have enough of it up my shed to build a small Battle Ship.

As all the repairs are going to be hidden behind the plastic skirts they don't have to look perfect.

post-5233-0-63771700-1542135134_thumb.jpg
This section was popped in first to close the inner arch to sill section,it is a terrible design that allows dirt and damp to sit and fester.

post-5233-0-83845000-1542135392_thumb.jpg

post-5233-0-62998700-1542135513_thumb.jpg

post-5233-0-98333100-1542135601_thumb.jpg
That'll do for me Tommy.

As it's been remade from 1.2mm steel i have been able to really wind the amps up and get some good penetration going.
Handily there is a big gromit hole to let me fill the inside of the sill with stickiness (waxoyl).

I have given it a couple of coats of red oxide today and tomorrow i will Tiger seal the joints,apply chassis paint then sprinkle with stone chip and finally brush on a bit of clear waxoyl.

post-5233-0-50824500-1542136592_thumb.jpg

I think a new set of shoes wouldn't hurt either.

post-5233-0-37372300-1542137097_thumb.jpg

I had to derust and paint the gearbox sump too as it was looking really rough.

The guy i bought the Daihatsu from had been doing an 80 mile daily commute in it for the last four years so i think it's wearing its 114k miles quite well.

top tickling……… I've often wondered about these - but nly ever see broken ones coming up for sale. They seem to be a 'hold onto it until it's fucked' type of chariot.

Excellent repair skills fella.

What's the plan once it's done? Put into action or punting on?

Edit - I saw it was for commute - but hadn't seen the new job report..... if so, congrat's!

What's the plan once it's done? Put into action or punting on?

Edit - I saw it was for commute - but hadn't seen the new job report..... if so, congrat's!

I have a thing for Japanese stuff and this ticks so many boxes on the crowded roads of north Kent so i am going to use it and improve it as i go along.

My plans for it include changing the ugly reg plates to smaller jdm 13 x 6.5inch plates,lowering just a tiny bit,dark tinting the rear and side windows and getting better looking wheels (in white obviously).

The brakes need a refresh / upgraded linings and an auto box flush and filter change wouldn't hurt either.

Reading online the car runs at a modest 0.6 bar of boost and can be upped to 0.8 without any problems anything more and the ecu will cut the fuel off.

It looks like 150 hp is simple enough to find and shouldn't hurt the autobox.

I found a pair of genuine Honda branded mirrored sunglasses in it yesterday too.

Not back in work yet either and not in any rush.

I've been offered an mot tester job at a nice local garage but not sure i want to continue in the motortrade.

I fancy and nice parts van delivery job if i'm honest without any stress.

The weather down here has been misty and damp today and my mojo finally turned up at lunch time so outside i ventured.

I was hoping the i could get away with just repairing the rear end of the sill but no once i cleaned up the front end little pins holes became evident.

post-5233-0-82429100-1542390519_thumb.jpg

So a cutting disc was fired up and a big hole was made,pleasingly the inner sill and stiffener panel are still good.

post-5233-0-43792900-1542390784_thumb.jpg

At the rear end the inner arch has suffered a bit more than the other sides.

post-5233-0-77267000-1542390949_thumb.jpg

post-5233-0-50709100-1542391030_thumb.jpg

Again i think i have caught the rot just in time.
I think one more winter would have really hurt it.

As it was so damp outside i didn't wheel the mig out the front and instead had a good scrape and wire brush session underneath.
I had read that the fuel tank filler necks were prone to rotting through so had a good prod and found it was really clean at the fuel cap end but when i followed the pipe to the tank i noticed that the breather/vent pipe part of it was swollen and scabby and really not fit for purpose anymore.

Looking at this rotten bit i think can cut the worst section out and use household copper pipe or even the plastic stuff instead and join it either end with rubber hose/hose clips.