Bramz ever changing fleet merry go round.

bramz7

That 850 is nice.

Just a few notes:

Any history of cam belt or fuel pump belt ?? - Get them changed asap if not (I have some of the tools required to do it, if that helps)

On idle - Listen out for a 'tick' , pump the brake pedal & if it goes, then change the Vac pump asap, this is driven off the camshaft via a plunger, they lock up and can snap the Camshaft.

Get rid of the EGR (or just bypass it) - They run and breath so much better.

Look out for Mass Air Flow sensors in scrap yards etc, as you cant buy them new anymore (if you get a few, let me know)

And if you're inclined, get it 'fettled', surprisingly this engine can go like the clappers.

The noise you mentioned a few pages back - Make sure it's not the water pump.

It's probably the Auxilary tensioner, but get it checked out.

Any 855 (850 estate) or D5252t spares going, do P.M me.

OBD port - Can't be read with most generic devices, you need Vol-Fcr and a suitable cable.

Happy motoring.

Feel like I have hit optimum fleet.

820- Lovely (slow) wafty barge with a silky gear change, great seats perfectly adjusted, top notch steering feel etc....I don't even care if it's popped it's head gasket now as I'll happily get it done.

Mondeo- needs that scrub but an ideal hard as nails (engine wise) back up. Insured for the whole year, paid up.

New daily will need cash throwing at it but when done it will be a mega thing.

There's only one car left to get.

post-20043-0-26320100-1553380333_thumb.jpg

The last car my dad ever owned before he passed away in 2002. Somehow it survived being sold in 2003 and is still about in the same area we lived in. It's looking quite untidy these days so I wonder if it's on borrowed time.

I know where it lives though. I will leave a note. I just don't know quite how to mention the above without sounding desperate.

So in the worst kept secret awards I came first place as I'm the winner who bought the £150 E320 off of HMC a few days ago.

What a torquey beast. I've deduced it will need money come MOT time in the form of at least one tyre and possibly some welding. As per usual Merc of the era the majority seems to be surface rot. The rear suspension truly is terrible though, bouncing up and down like a deflated Citroen. Engine and box are impressively smooth, and whilst there is something up with performance beyond 3k revs, I'm not in a rush to go changing the MAF yet.

One other slight issue, the bonnet release handle has broken. What's the best bodge for that? Cable still there, but the mount for it on the handle has broken off.

I might be sacking off the Mondeo. It's okay...just fancy an AX or even a Saxo instead. If anyone wants a swap for one of those or something else small and preferably French (or Italian) than let me know. Otherwise £250 to anyone else.

One other slight issue, the bonnet release handle has broken. What's the best bodge for that? Cable still there, but the mount for it on the handle has broken off.

I've got a bit of sawn off broom handle in my Jeep.

Handle snapped so 5cm bit of handle, with a saw hole from outside edge to the middle'ish, top to bottom.

Slot cable in the saw hole, and just gives enough grip to be able to pull the cable.

Certain there are more elegant solutions, but works a treat for me.

post-20043-0-64649200-1553996867_thumb.jpg

I've always liked the W210. Personally I prefer the styling of the estate too.

So, what's it like? Definitely more premium feeling than the slightly later C-class I had, but some of it still feels very cheaply done. The engine is a proper straight six though, with that unmistakeable noise.

However...

No willing to kick down or go beyond 2600 revs.

Turning off the ESP makes a strange pulse in the idle (when coasting around 30mph) disappear.

It's quite rough up close. None of the rot looks MOT fail worthy but I haven't dared peek underneath.

Bonnet cable and handle have become detached.

Rear suspension is frankly terrible.

OBD is going nuts over a bulb fault but none of them have stopped working...

Using the manual up/down on the gearstick takes an absolute age to do anything. 5-6 seconds.

I think I'm going to try for an MOT in a few weeks, but I'd actually make profit on this just scrapping it. But that would be wasteful right?

I might be sacking off the Mondeo. It's okay...just fancy an AX or even a Saxo instead. If anyone wants a swap for one of those or something else small and preferably French (or Italian) than let me know. Otherwise £250 to anyone else.

AX you say?

Must admit to having a soft spot for old Ford diesels ;-)

Anybody want the E class for £250? Yeah yeah, trying to make a profit on a car with three weeks test....

Engine and box seem smooth and powerful, gearchanges are silky but the manual shift in the box is mega slow. Maybe that is just me.

MAF and EGR are causing the car to not kickdown, holding it at 2.5k revs max when moving, and causing an odd pulse when coasting at 25-40mph.

Rusty, as its a Merc,

Rear suspension spheres need doing as the ride is fucking awful on the back

Interior is oddly wear free

Bodywork has suffered with rust and dents. One rear tyre has worn quite well on the outer edges.

Bonnet release handle has snapped.

I am selling because I fucking cba to get it fixed up, especially as I've got something or things incoming which don't need a blank cheque throwing at them. Maybe if I could DIY...

V5 present, ready to go this weekend.

Cartakeback will give me this sort of figure if I scrap it.

Me too... Saxos look like smart buys at the moment although unfortunately FJ won't insure them on a classic policy even if they're pre 98... I haven't asked them about Peugeot 106s.

When I rang them about insuring the Jim Bell AX, FJ quoted me £25 to put on my policy along with the 900 and x1/9.

When I rang them about insuring the Jim Bell AX, FJ quoted me £25 to put on my policy along with the 900 and x1/9.

Yeah, for some reason I guessed it would be OK. Old enough to be unreliable enough to be a classic. Xantias are OK too. 

Funny that classic insurers are badge and not platform snobs often.

FJ-

Alfa 155- yes

Alfa Gtv- yes

Fiat tipo (which was older than both of the Alfas and provided the platform From which both Alfa’s were developed) NO SORRY MATE

rant over!

Worth asking about a 106 then...306 cabriolet qualifies if pre 1998 fwiw...considered one last year before I bought the 205.

Was hoping to get my 1999 CR-V on a classic policy this year. Lady on phone says Hondas don't qualify. She drives a Honda, apparently.

Is there a classic policies thread on here? I get bored/embarrased ringing them up about every old banger I'm half thinking about buying. Would it be worth pooling knowledge?

• 2 weeks later...

Now down to one (working) car. The Mercedes killed itself yesterday morning when the fuel pump failed on the way to work. The sorry shit show that is now the AA meant it took more than three hours to be recovered.

It's now back at my old house waiting to be scrapped. I'm very glad I didn't spend any money on the heap.

I was forced* to use the 820 today. I hadn't driven it down country roads for some time but in my opinion, it suits them. Yeah it understeers a tad and the bumpy surfaces can get a bit tiring, but it's super comfortable and snug in the drivers seat, with well weighted steering.

I'm not sure how, but it's got the smoothest ZF automatic I've ever had. You can't even feel the changes, and it actually seems to change down at the necessary times when slowing.

I even got stuck in some mild traffic earlier and was terrified it would cook (what with the potential HGF) but it settled right below middle of the gauge. Ace!

Now I just need to clean the poor old thing.

There’s a £599 maroon saxo round the corner from me. I can go poke it with a stick on the dealers forecourt to seenwhat state it’s in and what he’d take if you like?

I've possibly* bid on an AX on eBay that fits my needs. Managed to convince my friend that we should go halves too, as he borrowed my old AX Forte and nearly bought it off me.

Bit miffed about the Mercedes putting me in the shit with work to be honest, I'm not going to bother with cheap turds anymore as I don't especially want to lose my job.

I'm fully aware that the nature of the beast with old cars is likely FTPs, what I should have said is I won't be buying any cheap premium cars anymore. I'll stick at it with the French.

Anyway I'm collecting a new daily tomorrow so let's hope that doesn't die on me as well. I doubt it will, I'm quite looking forward to it to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

post-20043-0-87797400-1556270215_thumb.jpg

About a year ago I bought a 306 D turbo. The seller had a lovely Xantia as a daily and I said to them I'd have it if they sold it.

They put it up for sale a few weeks back so I arranged a purchase.

It's not perfect but it's the perfect spec Xantia. HDI 110, electric heated leather seats, auto wipers, alloys etc. It has the better suspension being the Exclusive too.

I think the HDI 110 is the best engine for these too.

Small jobs that need doing are a small leak on a return pipe, a wheel balance, and some grot needs welding. I'll do the first two soon, but the rust can wait for now.

In other news, I've got to get an AX on Saturday.

I also fancied a Chrysler Neon briefly but most of the sellers are deluded.