Re-light my fire, illumination is my only desire… - Ohdearme’s turn of the century emporium

Ohdearme

To create more room under the bonnet while working just remove the lower scuttle/Bulkhead extension, it's a simple weather strip removal then three 10mm bolts and a little wrestling to remove panel from the nearside corner on my Sharan and I assume its similar on yours.

Pics stolen from fordmpv.com.

2078d30bf0444025f431d9ea899e9db4.jpg6daf98561a74c82414f16e831570d4f7.jpg

Galaxy returned us intact from Scotland and entirely without incident, if you exclude the bit where the A66 did is usual thing of fogging I’ve so I’d have a hard job finding the end of my unfurled todger, never mind the road ahead.

Suffers a little bit with wind buffeting and there were a few hills where leaving the car in fifth was a bit too much to ask of the 2.0 lump.

Very relaxing to drive, did the whole run from Glasgow to Castleford in one sitting, fuel reserve came on at 411 miles and I strung it out to 426 before chickening out and filling up versus running out late at night with two kids and a slightly* merry wife asleep in the car.

63 litres went in so my estimate of 450 to a tank that I made to myself to keep my drive home interesting* was probably about right.

Also, if you’re in the Forth bridge / Queensferry area, I’d recommend the Rail Bridge Bistro, decent Cullen skink and good view of the bridge at night.

Just shy of 1500 miles in it now without major dramas.

41876e104d2d50ba49b65db95ec1f1d8.jpg

Popped the bonnet to see how the weeping oil rocker cover was getting on.

The answer is very good - seems driving around it isn’t really leaking. I have a new one to do over Xmas break but clearly no need of a rush.

I also noticed this...

ae5b9631b9c89e240ab9e2674017a196.jpg

It seems I neglected to reconnect the inbound air temp sensor in my haste to prep it for Scotland. I’m hoping this will help iron out some of the low rev stutter, it has been a bit worse this week in the cold so tomorrow will tell.

Naturally, repairing something upset the delicate equilibrium of the universe and the offside rear workout window decide to make a bid for freedom.

f32ec1749a99e4fd551b175921fd3327.jpg

Yes, that grille is also cracked, I’ve spotted some NOS for £8 a pop but the builder has dropped a bill that is many multiples of the Galaxy on my desk so any fettling that costs money are out for now.

Still Pbk’s UN Relief package arrived so I can get on with those bits too.

Yes, that grille is also cracked, I’ve spotted some NOS for £8 a pop but the builder has dropped a bill that is many multiples of the Galaxy on my desk so any fettling that costs money are out for now.

Crikey, what's going on with the house nowadays? Used to read your thread on PH with interest. Particularly liked the door that lead to nowhere :mrgreen:

Crikey, what's going on with the house nowadays? Used to read your thread on PH with interest. Particularly liked the door that lead to nowhere :mrgreen:

Ha ha, a lot if planning give me consent in a few weeks time...keep meaning to update that thread but work/kids/stuff always gets in the way.

New doors to the garden, kitchen/utility room being knocked through and a whole new kitchen to go in, finally getting a downstairs loo put in and fixing the knackered front door.

A lot of it is stuff I’d happily do again myself but I just don’t have the time so I have to smile and adopt the position and let somebody else crack on. Doesn’t feel right really :)

Quick* lap around the block has confirmed the temp sensor had a role to play in Galaxy grumpiness at low revs. There is still the occasional cough at 1750rpmish but otherwise fine.

Sure it’ll sort itself out once I do the fuel filter and plugs, etc.

Easy enough to drive around anyway as 2000-4000 is where it’s happiest and most fun. I’d genuinely forgotten how much fun these old things are to drive.

Not a lot going on,

Came out to a large puddle of oily stuff in the rain, oil fine on the Galaxy, suspect it may be where the SAAB was also parked but I’ll keep an eye on things.

Brake warning briefly popped on coming back from tip so maybe something is leaking slightly, still stops in a straight line. Watch this space.

Otherwise, it’s all good - wd40’d the drivers lock so it’s now nice and smooth - it was frozen solid the other morning with the stiffness together with cold weather necessitated a run around to the passenger side and a bit of swearing as I was rushing for a train :)

It’s being pressed into tip duty finally so is earning its keep.

e12acdeba30078191669e5d61beae570.jpg

The oil is filth so I really need to sort that but finding the time as I’ve started building work on the house will be tricky before Xmas.

I’ve also spotted a pinhole in the paint above the dent in the door that has the dreaded orange fuzz starting to show...

Will add sanding that back, treating and expertly* blending the paint to the list.

Aye the Saab did that, especially after a long run.

Gone but not forgotten, then...at least the wife hasn’t noticed. To be fair, there’s not loads, there’s been just enough rain to swill it around and make it look like the Exxon-Valdez.

I moved the galaxy to a fresh spot after the tip run and that’s clear so I’m going to pin this one on the Swede.