Mercedes W123 grot spots

Milford Cubicle

I am going to look at a Mercedes 240D tomorrow (gr8 4 croozin), it needs a bit of welding apparently. Where are they likely to be grottiest? The owner mentions the sills needing patches, but that's all.

Posted Image

Everywhere between the bumpers.

Watch out for the front coil springs as well, they're about 6 miles long and prone to snappage - they're also an utter fuckpig to change.

The one I had (1985 230 Petrol) wasn't too bad rust wise just bottom of the doors front of the front wings and valance. On some of the club sites there are some blow by blow photo shoots of rustorations.

Arches fall apart but you can always mastic some chrome arches in place. That looks really good.

LOLZ :lol:
Oh yeh I forgot the arches I had the last set of cromes out of GSF Heathrow lol

For info, my 300D had a very soft rear sill on the driver's side - MoT-failingly soft. A local chap did an excellent job of welding in new metal and it only cost me £90!Also had a hole in the bulkhead - so soggy carpets also worth a look! It leaked at the back too. And the boot could get damp. So in short, they can leak.

My experiences of old Mercs mirror everyone elses it seems.I had a lovely, very late C plate W123 280TE about 7 years ago. That one snapped a coil spring in the middle of a petrol station. They don't half get some height when they fly out. How it managed that I'll never know. The auto-box was starting to get a bit lumpy as well.There was the W126 500SEL I ran for a while. No chrome arches, just genuine rust. The chassis on that was more than a bit crusty, but it did go like fuck for a big barge. Mechanically it was blob on, but bodily it was a perfect example of something that was never going to be a 'running resto'. It ran, but if you tried to restore it you'd be in expensive trouble. Sounded fantastic with the cocked up exhaust.A short while after that I bought a 'smoke silver', a.k.a beige, W124 260E. Council vanity plate "MUI" job, chrome arches and W126 alloys. Fantastic leather interior but the water pump was about to cry "enough" and the head gasket was suspect so I traded that for a Range Rover with a very council dealer somewhere near Manchester Airport. I think he was doing the same with the Range Rover...Few months later I stumbed upon a one owner, full spec, 190E 2.0 Auto not far from home. 'Almandine' with cream leather, AC, alloys, rear head rests, full toolkit, perfect history job that had been parked up for a while as the owner had run out of money to throw at the main agent and finally given up when the back box popped and Merc wanted about £250 for one. I bought that one cheap, fitted a motor factor back box and felt all smug for a month or two. Until the head popped and I broke it for spares. Some lunatic bought the interior so I gave him the remains of the car and it was towed somewhere in Yorkshire behind a Corsa on a rope.Having said all that, I still lust after 560 SELs on a regular basis but refuse to spend the money that properly nice ones command. I could buy a lovely ZT-T 260 for that money..

Having said all that, I still lust after 560 SELs on a regular basis but refuse to spend the money that properly nice ones command. I could buy a lovely ZT-T 260 for that money..

Whats the difference between a 560 and a 500 though - is it just the engine size or are there other changes?

Having said all that, I still lust after 560 SELs on a regular basis but refuse to spend the money that properly nice ones command. I could buy a lovely ZT-T 260 for that money..

Whats the difference between a 560 and a 500 though - is it just the engine size or are there other changes?
Mainly just the engine size. I do love a big ol' V8.Besides, having the 500 when the 560 is out there is one of those little things that irritates me. I know the one bloke who bought a TVR without the 'hi-po' V8. One person bought one and it was him. I mean, you're going to buy a supercar so you choose the low power one. WTF? That's like ordering a Lamborghini Murcielago and then asking if you van have it with a Golf 1.9 TDi lump as the V12 might be a bit thirsty.If you're going to do it, do it properly.

Posted Image

Here it is, a bit too grotty for me sadly with holes and rust around the rear suspension mounts, sills, seatbelt mounts and wings.

A shame, because it drives really nicely apart from its tractor-like manual gearbox and slightly vague steering box.

It's given me a taste for them though, the 240D is such a lazy, relaxing thing to drive, I love it. I'd have great fun croozin around burning veg oil and relishing its timeless looks.

There's an article in Car Mechanics mag this month praising the 200 series (94 - 01. Gives the thumbs up on most everything except bodywork.

Don't know why - the W210 was the biggest POS Merc have ever made- more or less single-handedly destroyed the 'quality' image they had patiently built up for the previous 70 years!

There's an article in Car Mechanics mag this month praising the 200 series (94 - 01. Gives the thumbs up on most everything except bodywork.

Don't know why - the W210 was the biggest POS Merc have ever made- more or less single-handedly destroyed the 'quality' image they had patiently built up for the previous 70 years!
I recon a 'M' class would be worse.