Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

1992 Rover 214 SLi - Good* vibrations

Project

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   D Spares & Tyres

D Spares & Tyres

Big member

• No longer member
  • 4,420 posts
  • 46 thanks
  • LocationMid nineties.

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:20 PM

Plugs are brand new m8.

New plugs or not, they do have a habit of soaking the plugs for reasons I don't really understand.  Pull them out, dry them off, and try again, should be okay.  You can always test for spark while they're out too.

That's what I meant. On these Rovers, if the battery is almost flat then the injectors just soak the plugs.

Do you have a gas cooker? If so then use the hob to burn off any petrol from the plug tip

#32 OFFLINE   D Spares & Tyres

D Spares & Tyres

Big member

• No longer member
  • 4,420 posts
  • 46 thanks
  • LocationMid nineties.

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:21 PM

If not, just put them in the microwave
  • snagglepuss and clayts450 like this

#33 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 15,806 posts
  • 52 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:06 AM

Putting them in the microwave is certainly one way to test the spark XD

• snagglepuss and clayts450 like this

#34 OFFLINE   clayts450

clayts450

Urban on-roader

• Full Members
  • 2,487 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationNottingham

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:52 PM

Good news - managed to start the 214 this afternoon, after a very slow, deliberate process of elimination over the last few days.

Yesterday I swapped out the new plugs for the old ones, made no difference. I replaced the king lead too as the one installed was a bit ropey. Got a good bargain off eBay, a set of new Bougicord HT leads for £7.47 which included the longer lead needed for those 214/414s that have the coil stuck behind the nearside headlight.

It turned out to be the ol' TADTS of a dodgy earth connection to the slam panel - so simple really. Unbolted it all, Brillo padded all the connectors and the nut, and bingo - started first time. For good measure I also gave the crank position sensor connector a squirt out with some contact cleaner.

The vibration is, of course, still there, but I've nailed that too - crack between the flexi pipe and the front section of the exhaust. May try a bodge job first with some bandage/paste, but hopefully the car will be pressed into daily duties soon so I can rest up the Streetwise and do all the bits I need to on that.

Now all I need to do is replace all the old bits I stuck back on during my elimination phase with the new bits - dizzy cap, rotor arm, spark plugs and I'll probably put the other Bougicords on for good measure. Also a nice new battery in there with much better CCA.

So close now....

• vulgalour, LightBulbFun and davehedgehog31 like this

Current Fleet

1992 Rover 214SLi (Oct 2018->) status: broken 1996 Rover 620 Si auto (Jan 2019->) status: failed MOT2004 Rover Streetwise S (May 2017->) status: willing puppy/daily

Historical choddage (stopped driving 1999-2016)
1969 VW Beetle 1300 1977 Morris Marina 1.3 Super1983 Skoda Estelle 120L19can't remember: Rover Metro; Vauxhall CorsaVauxhall Cavalier ; 
2001 Rover 45 V6 Connie (May to Oct 2018); 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser CRD Limited (Jan 18 to Jan 19 - roffled off here, now with fellow Shiter's missus here)

#35 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 15,806 posts
  • 52 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:15 PM

Good news!  Happy for you that it seems to be fairly easy fixes.

• clayts450 likes this

#36 OFFLINE   clayts450

clayts450

Urban on-roader

• Full Members
  • 2,487 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationNottingham

Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:24 PM

Just took it for a post-Sunday lunch spin.

Apart from a bit of alternator belt squeal which disappeared as soon as it had warmed up, it really is starting to show its true colours now it's moving towards full health.

It pulls so much better than the Streetwise (those extra 10 horses and the PG1 gearbox being the key differences) and whilst the vibration is slightly drowning out the lovely sweet K-series sound, it gets through the rev range rapidly without any wobbles and the erratic idling and awful 1000 to 2000 rpm stuttering has completely gone - no need to slip the clutch in 1st any more. Running as good as it has done in my short tenure.

The one major difference is comfort - this is so much smoother than the Streetwise which gives plenty of feedback on poor road surfaces - this R8 just sucks it all up and leaves you in magic carpet land. The seats are mega comfy, and the cabin gets toasty real quick.

Once the exhaust is sorted I think this will serve me well.

Mega Sunday high after weeks of misery.

• LightBulbFun likes this

Current Fleet

1992 Rover 214SLi (Oct 2018->) status: broken 1996 Rover 620 Si auto (Jan 2019->) status: failed MOT2004 Rover Streetwise S (May 2017->) status: willing puppy/daily

1969 VW Beetle 1300 1977 Morris Marina 1.3 Super1983 Skoda Estelle 120L19can't remember: Rover Metro; Vauxhall CorsaVauxhall Cavalier ; 
2001 Rover 45 V6 Connie (May to Oct 2018); 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser CRD Limited (Jan 18 to Jan 19 - roffled off here, now with fellow Shiter's missus here)

#37 OFFLINE   clayts450

clayts450

Urban on-roader

• Full Members
  • 2,487 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationNottingham

Posted 16 December 2018 - 03:56 PM

Got thoroughly wet and dirty doing a GunGum bodge job on the 214 today - hole just in front of the flexi. Stuck some paste all over the place (including my face, hair, hands) then one of their magic metal bandages, then smeared some more paste everywhere. Needs a day or so to set, alternatively sit there like a lemon for 30 mins with the engine running - ain't gonna piss the neighbours off so overnight it is.

Couldn't resist turning her over though, to give it a go - wouldn't start. Flattened another battery.

Started first time yesterday and was turning over with a reading of 14-ish on a volt meter I plugged in. I think this car just needs a damned good thrashing once it's up and running. And not like this either

Current Fleet

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users