Peugeot 106 Phase 2 1.1L Zest - same car, new vendor - £125

Rave

New 'For Sale' thread, just so I have editing rights over the title. Sorry for crapping the board a bit. Previous thread here:

http://autoshite.com/topic/33378-a-very-french-phase-2-106-11l-of-fury-%C2%A3150-available-in-the-next-month-or-so/

I picked this up this afternoon to save it from being James Browned. Having driven it home, it really is a nice car and I've absolutely no regrets about hopefully helping it live on a bit longer. 82,400 miles, MOT to December 20th.

Here's SW's description, to which I'm going to add my observations in bold:

Lets start with the good stuff:

• MOT until December 20th 
  • Blue Tartan interior 
  • New clutch last month, less than 500 miles ago which feels pretty sharp, nearly stalled it before I got used to it
  • Runs, drives, stops
  • Quite nippy - almost boy racery - can confirm, it goes well, much better than my 1.5D
  • The best car I've ever had on fuel by far. 60MPG+ on a trip to the Lake District. - on collection, gauge was showing a bit over 1/4 full. 30 miles later, it was showing a bit over 1/4 full
  • Decent stereo with AUX and pretty colours - now removed, not unreasonably. I have a crap chinese cheapy to shove in
  • Horn is very loud. Almost abnormally so.
  • Really good for loading stuff in - has the spare wheel underneath so plenty of scope for bungee cords
  • Stacks of history. Loads. Previous owner kept lots of stuff including proof of a cambelt change not hugely long ago - can't remember exactly - still with car
  • Never let me down or failed to start
  • Poverty spec, manual everything, no PAS or central locking
  • HRW works
  • Tracks straight
  • 4000 miles or so until the next service according to the fancy light - oil is clean as a whistle
  • 4 good tyres - to be picky, OSR 'Runway' is starting to perish a bit, and the others are a 'Rovello' and two 'HiFly' s. Noticed a very slight wheel wobble at motorway speeds, not enough that I would worry about it though

Not so good stuff (inhale):

• Blue tartan interior
  • Oil leak from the engine but never seems to lose any oil. Driveshaft used to squeal a bit but after the clutch was done it didn't - my mechanic had to take off the driveshafts to do it so he put new oil in - guess that solved it - seems fine to me
  • My partner caught it on the side of the garage getting it in so there is a nice big dent on the passenger side, and scrapes along that side. Wing mirror on that side is now mostly useless and likes to flop about as it pleases. Windows goes 3/4 down, then you hear the door pop out and it goes the rest of the way. Trim has come off and was chucked. - I am going to try and push the dent out from inside. Mirror will be OK with a bit of rolled up gaffa tape to fix it in place, I reckon
  • Boot leaks - I think - the seal was all fucky so I superglued it back on and it seemed to stop but still gets a bit damp in heavy rain I think
  • Leaks somewhere else, my passenger footwell has been a bit damp the past few days - and the car smells like damp. Pretty gross. No idea what it is. Starting to think it might just be the boot not drying out but I have a shedload of Hillman parts in it at the moment and can't be arsed to take them out - if I have the rear seats flat for moving stuff water seems to pool under the seats on the floor - it just smells like a 106 to me TBH. Will keep an eye out for leaks. Am hoping that pushing the door back into shape will help, if I can manage that.
  • Needs new front disks and or pads. Not looked, but the pedal is a bit low. Drove my friends C1 the other day and thought he had F1 Ceramic brakes. - Brakes are fine. Haven't investigated the state of discs and pads (I will this week), but they stick the car on its nose if you stamp on them. They're just not over-servoed like modern cars.
  • Various marks - small dent in the bootlid, weird crease on one of the front wings
  • Trim has started to come off on the drivers door
  • Belts can be a bit noisy when it starts but soon fades - didn't squeal at all today
  • Idle has always been uneven, seems to hunt a little up and down (800 - 1000) but it's stable. Almost like it's breathing. When its hot after a long drive it can sometimes drop to 500RPM or so, occasionally springs back to 2k then does it again. Doesn't actually stall. - it idles like a racecar with lumpy cams. I might try cleaning the various sensors and stuff in the intake if I run out of other things to do. Would possibly get annoying if you spend a lot of time in traffic, otherwise it's no bother.
  • Rear box is rusty, blowing and the exhaust rattles between 2 - 3k. Think of it as an audible shift light - honestly didn't think the exhaust was unusually loud. Didn't notice the rattle. Will try and bodge any holes I find initially, if not a new exhaust is about 40 quid from ECP.
  • Blower fan doesn't work. Still has hot and cold but it just drifts out of the vents with speed. Not bothered me as I do a lot on the motorway and wear a jacket when I don't. Fuse relating to this was found melted in the fuse box, and the fuse box is scorched around it. I assume it's the resistor pack, which is attached to the blower fan and is about £30 on eBay and not too hard to fit. Very french indeed. - Will investigate this week. It was lovely and warm on the way home even without a fan. If I can get fan working it will be a super cosy WBOD
  • Rear wiper is just a display piece at this point. No meat on it, smears everywhere.
  • Front wipers could probably do with a change soon if you're fussy
  • Has some rust on the right hand side of the engine bay. Poked it and it was crunchy. - Will investigate when I look under the bonnet.
  • Speakers are blown and don't sound great on bass notes. Went to replace them but they are riveted in(???) - Found a pair of JVC speakers in the glovebox, assume these were the intended replacements? Will see if I can pop-rivet them in.

So, it's now in Catford, SE London. I gave SW the £125 he would have got for driving it to a scrapyard. My intention as I said is purely to save this car from being scrapped, I will not be trying to make any profit from it at all if it sells to someone on here. I've had to cough up 13 quid to tax it, but I intend to get that back by using up the rest of the fuel in the tank. This sale is going to work a bit differently to most- the car is for sale for what it owes me at any given time. If I spend any money on parts to improve it, then the price goes up accordingly. You can step in to take it off my hands at any time. I reckon if nobody does jump in early then it's going to owe me about £250 by the time I've put it through an MOT, which I will try and do a month before the old one expires. If we get to that point it will be up for roffle at 4 quid a ticket.

Will bung some more pics up later.

Castros_Bro, if you're reading this, the boot floor looks and feels completely solid, unlike my 1.5D which is currently awaiting a serious intervention from the sparkly stick.

Weather's looking a bit showery here and I overslept despite the clocks going back, so instead of doing anything to the car I'm going to drive it to football instead. Here it is outside my house:

post-20573-0-03550500-1540726490_thumb.jpg

I have however popped the bonnet to have a look at the reported patch of rust.

post-20573-0-34673900-1540726593_thumb.jpg

Hmm, that's probably going to need doing. Still it's a completely flat piece and I only need to remove the fuse box to get at it (and the arch liner on the other side) so shouldn't be any bother even for my rudimentary welding skillset. I will pull my finger out and acquire a proper gas bottle for my mig welder then, was thinking of just lashing out £200 for the big bottle of Argon mix from Hobbyweld unless anyone's got any better ideas? It comes with a regulator and should last me for bloody ages, is my thinking.

This is written on the fuse box:

post-20573-0-00005600-1540726805_thumb.jpg

I was rather amazed when I popped the bonnet to find that it lifted itself up once I'd pulled it open. Gas Struts...luxury! Are they standard?

post-20573-0-02398800-1540727100_thumb.jpg

I had a feel of the door seal underneath where the door frame is bent outwards, it was wet.

post-20573-0-91424400-1540726978_thumb.jpg

If I can pop it back into shape I reckon that should stop it leaking. One of the tail lights is full of damp, I will investigate that too, on the basis that it could well be responsible for the boot sometimes being damp.

So, unless anyone fancies the welding themselves, might be best to leave it with me for a couple of weeks while I get my ducks in a row. The strut tower looks completely solid but the patch of rust on the inner wing is just about within 30cm of the mounting points, so potentially an MOT fail.

Another thumbs up here for saving the 106, my brother brought one earlier in the year a 2002 1.1 Independence and I was surprised to find it has Bonnet Struts fitted as well. Didn't pay a lot via Gumtree for it with 10 months Mot and despite the owner claiming it needed a major service etc. A quick read through some old paperwork showed it had a Full service and Cambelt change only 2 years ago! It just needs a basic service and a new exhaust which are all cheaply and easily sourced too. 

Here a picture I found of it from how it arrived needing a clean!

post-3802-0-70692900-1540744752_thumb.jpg

It a great motor to drive and yours in base spec is like a modern equivalent of my old Talbot Samba Style which is never a bad thing.

Good luck with yours and look forward to see how you get on with it.

The spec is funny- it's bog basic inside, my Ph1 diesel is similar but at least has central locking (IR activated from the key, you have to aim it inside the car) which is surprisingly handy. However this one has a rev counter, and appears to have anti-roll bars front and rear, so it is a lot less wallowy than the diesel, but still soaks up the bumps very nicely. Driving around in London during the daytime you basically never get a chance to go round corners at any speed, but at some point I will be investigating the on-the-limit handling, as I suspect some oversteery fun is but a lift-off away...