1988 Daimler XJ40 Shite

scooters

Hello Proles, I've decided only to ever travel by daimler in the future.I have to tell you about last weeks purchase - a measly £500 secured a 1988 Daimler 3.6 XJ40 in Westminster Blue with cream leather interior. Rust in all the usual XJ40 bits - MOT till end Nov tax till end of the year.Seems in pretty good nick mechanically - oil pressure good, car pulls up to 120mph with no issues and doesn't overheat - last owner had her 19 years.I've done 2000 miles in her this week - no problems other than a grumbly exhaust and the usual XJ40 inlet manifold leak causing rough idling but too much of a palaaver to fix. I'll put 1500 miles on the clock a week between now and november as a daily driver and then sell her for 100 quid.Highlights:It's a daimler dahling!Walnut champers tables in the backshite headlininghalf opening sunrooflovley rusty bits (patina)Factory fitted car phone!and...this bit is best - the 1st owner is Clitheroe Metal Reclaimation Ltd!brilliant - a Manchester scrap baron's wheels - my only regret is it insn't in pastel sky blue! I'll put some photos up when I figure up how to do so - got to go now as have a pension fund to steal!

Daimler is in Edinburgh. could be in St Albans Tuesday next week but I am ment to be taking a car south for torsters on tuesday - if he gives permission and St Albans is OK with you I'll put off taking the other car down and come down in the daimler

Welcome to the risky yet rewarding world of XJ40 ownership! Values are as low as they will ever be as the shonkiest examples are dying off very quickly now. The well maintained and reasonably tidy ones will one day be held in higher regard. Do you have the digi-dash? Soldering iron to the ready if so!!

I have had mine since 2003, and like you I piled on the miles in the first few months of ownership. Cost me no more than regular servicing and petrol - the latter being by far the biggest worry at an average of 19mpg even on the longest gentlest of runs!

Mine only started falling to bits when I stopped using it regularly. It now lives in a warm dry garage and the degradation has slowed dramatically. But, mega-bills on their way for body-work and brakes. Engine and gearbox still tip-top though luckily.

Has your sunroof switch panel got the anti-buffet device? This is a little slider switch next to the main rocker. Switch this in and the roof retracts by about 66%, switch it out and the roof should fully retract. Could be a fault here if so - maybe it is stuck on.

Anyway, here is mine in its better days:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and a little more recently:

Posted Image

Look forward to the photos.

Nice motor China,thanks for the tip about the sunroof.This is my 3rd XJ40 - first one was a very nice '91 sov on LPG - good car but I am not a fan of LPG on a jag so offed it to richard Moss who is a bit of an LPG expert - he's just done a 1000 miles to cornwall on hols with no probs.I then had a '94 Daimler Double Six - ran it for 4 months clocked up 10k over the winter and sold it on to a chap on the xj40 forum when the transmission control unilt went - the V12 has a unique and rare TCU and they are lioke hen's teeth.I've been using the '88 as a daily driver and today gave it a really good clean inside - the leather seats really need some saddle soap so that is the next job.body work has some issues - the chrome and rubber windscreen surround is on it's last legs and really needs replacing as a prioritythe brakes are starting to squeal - I am in 2 minds whether or not to fix them