Bring that yellow Beat! (Updated with pics 7/12)

fatharris

Not done much today with the exception of replacing the earth clamp on the welder. Did a quick test weld with some scrap metal offcuts and it seems a lot better now. Hopefully the results on the Beat are a bit more positive from now on.

Going to start knocking up the final section of the sill outer skin this afternoon, fingers crossed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Picture of the welder - it's seen better days. The mole grips are needed to hold the spool of wire on! When I picked it up, I had a quick check of the wiring and found the previous owner had done some interesting wiring changes to presumably bypass the thermal cutout, which is a bit bloody daft.c8588a3eb39287ca8540e20196ed3f48.jpg

I had a spare shroud and tip so I fitted them.

The torch is knackered, ideally I'll get a new welder one day, but this is not that day

e5014dd19e078d65f35191f466d91b7d.jpg

Anyway, the NS sill is pretty much done. Not pretty, but a skim of filler will sort that, at least it's solid now. I'm sure there's a much easier way to do this fabrication nonsense.

4bd83e745f104b8f314cbaa20cd6eaf2.jpg

To add insult to injury, I picked another hole, this time in the passenger footwell. Disheartened, I inspected the hole in the drivers footwell and it's a lot bigger than I first envisaged.

Any tips on getting that bitumen-y floor sound deadening shit off? Limited room to swing a hammer and chisel about.

I had a spare shroud and tip so I fitted them.

The torch is knackered, ideally I'll get a new welder one day, but this is not that day

e5014dd19e078d65f35191f466d91b7d.jpg

Anyway, the NS sill is pretty much done. Not pretty, but a skim of filler will sort that, at least it's solid now. I'm sure there's a much easier way to do this fabrication nonsense.

4bd83e745f104b8f314cbaa20cd6eaf2.jpg

To add insult to injury, I picked another hole, this time in the passenger footwell. Disheartened, I inspected the hole in the drivers footwell and it's a lot bigger than I first envisaged.

Any tips on getting that bitumen-y floor sound deadening shit off? Limited room to swing a hammer and chisel about.

Fuck me, if you can weld with that you're a better man than me !!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I had a bit of a break for Xmas, but I got back into it today. The underside of the passenger floor pan looked good underneath the seam sealer, but a quick stab with the screwdriver proved otherwise.

The section that had rotted away is a triple skinned section, with the floorpan at the bottom. As the joint had bloated with corrosion along 80% of the floor, it was easier to cut it out as one section, which will also aid me in measuring new panels up.

12058af64fac9acdd02ebe2f03ca03b9.jpg

As you can see, pretty rotten.

cabd8a6fd5928df113d30949f7bc6ec3.jpg

eb07ec3bd85d84d3ab8e1d37c9b4661a.jpg

This car is kicking me at every step!

C

Whilst I was doing all this cutting, I noticed a brown spot on some adjacent seam sealer.

A bit of scraping turned into a hole, so I elected to cut a bit out to check how bad it was/patch it up.

And things just sort of.... escalated from there.

abbd1e10959092c09639957ccdf39c0c.jpg

ccb76003ca6f712285da7802bead3d8f.jpg

a6e529de294cb2d453d9fd4053964b1c.jpg

ebb5babd1cdd3a6e6330833d2a625ff0.jpg

e49686574c0e298894ee33c6dbbaf065.jpg

Very, very oh dear.

This was all because I prodded at a bit of seam sealer.

So, tools are down for a minute whilst I work out what, if anything, I can do to repair this. Doesn't help that the drivers side looks potentially worse than this and I haven't even started that side yet.

Every time I read this thread and see rotting yellow painted floors, it reminds of how somebody managed to use wob and underseal to hide "little" problems on my MGB roadster.

Keep smiling, you'll get there.

(Apologies for the picture being sideways, it's the fns bulkhead.

post-21417-0-66765500-1546607082_thumb.jpg

That looks like the quality of grot which seems to afflict Cappuccinos too. One minute they look tidy, and the next they are pretty much riddled with ginge.

Having said that, it's still well worth fixing, surely?

No doubt. Whether or not I possess the skills to do so is a different kettle of fish entirely.

• 3 weeks later...

This starting to look rustier than my 1100!

Time to strip everything off the car and work on it that way?

Wish that I could, I really do, but I simply don't have the space. This garage is considered a large single, and it already has a Mini body shell in it along with all the parts, as well as loads of bits for an MX5, I can't fit any more stuff in to be honest.