Mercedes CL55AMG - would you?

Lanciaman

Owning absurdly quick and comfortable cars spoils you. I had a Mercedes 560SEC. You could cross a continent just to go to lunch...London to Milan no sweat for a weekend. It will drive itself with the cruise on. Buy it for the experience- join the jet set. Most people will think it cost £75,000 which it probably did. My SEC was 60,000 new I paid 1500. There will never be cars like this again - they will be illegal.

Wouldn't even need to think about it, get it done.

Yes, a liability, but one of those cars you're never going to get a chance to own any cheaper, Worst case scenario, if it goes pop, you'll still get a large whack of the outgoing back, best case, you enjoy it for a while and know when to jump, sell on for a profit.

A worthy gamble.

well the deed is done.  Sober negotiations resulted in a totally over the top £1750 for this heap.   Which should be half the cost of the first time it goes bang.   Have entered roffle for the lovely brown Avensis. Far more decent . In the meantime, this posh A class arrives next Thursday......

well the deed is done.  Sober negotiations resulted in a totally over the top £1750 for this heap.   Which should be half the cost of the first time it goes bang.   Have entered roffle for the lovely brown Avensis. Far more decent . In the meantime, this posh A class arrives next Thursday......

What a car! It's all doom and gloom on owners forums-I was warned off buying my P38 Range Rover 12 years ago-it has Ftp'd "only" twice in this time-and had to be recovered once. Bloody door locks both times-now found a genius on these who has disabled the security systems on it. A couple of exhausts, tyres and new air suspension bags (£60 quid each). Admittedly parts for the Range Rover are cheap compared to the Merc. 

Top bombing!!!!!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a couple of mercs before. R129 sl500 - disaster and a real shed of a 24v 124 coupe. This has the same what seems to me like unnecessary heavy and unprogressive throttle. Sure, it goes like stink if you bury it but you'd expect that given the engine. What's more impressive is the ride and handling set up. That abc suspension set up might be the downfall of owning this model but when it's working it's bloody good. It wafts along brilliantly but corners in such a flat and controlled manner it's hard to comprehend how such a large and heavy car can do it. Couple of minor niggles. Indicators all work but car seems to think not so warning on dash. And needs a tyre pressure monitor valve. Other than that, all good so far. Obviously not a daily driver or only car for mere mortals but an experience worth having.

We breached 20mpg today. Boost! This has to be the most mental car for the money ever. No rust, interior as new. Sure it's scary as xxxx in terms of what might go wrong. But for now, a real pleasure. It will be passed on in a few months no doubt but anyone thinking of a v8, well worth considering if you're careful.

Caught sight of one of these out of the corner of my eye, on the M25 today and thought what an elegant shape it is. Makes the Continental R look very staid and bulky, about the only car that looks best in silver too. The black ones , especially AMGs , look too blingy.

I can't picture what the replacement model( s) even look like, so there can't be many around, especially as I spend my working life in places they'd be!

I'd rather be the guy living in a cardboard box talking about the CL55 he once owned than the one boring his neighbours with talk of how he almost bought one when they were cheap.

I'm keen for a roffle ticket too.

Such a great explanation of life there!!!

My mate has been harping on about getting an Impreza since 2005 (honestly) but always find a reason why he can't.

Fair enough if you can't afford it but believe me he can, easily.

He always says "I'll have one of those one day".

Yeah, course you will.

It's not like they're even shit heap unreliable cars, my old 1995 one had an alternator change in 5 years of ownership. To this day I can't believe I sold it, hard times and all that.

Amazing cars.

What a car! It's all doom and gloom on owners forums-I was warned off buying my P38 Range Rover 12 years ago-it has Ftp'd "only" twice in this time-and had to be recovered once. Bloody door locks both times-now found a genius on these who has disabled the security systems on it. A couple of exhausts, tyres and new air suspension bags (£60 quid each). Admittedly parts for the Range Rover are cheap compared to the Merc.

Top bombing!!!!!

Steve

Also true.

I had a #worldsworstcarever Mercedes ML270cdi and it FTP'd twice in 8 years. Ok, it was dog rough by the end of it but it had mileage correction* twice and i still put about 100k on it. Nice cars to drive as well, is love a mintola one but the Mrs has bad memories of it after someone drove into her ( their fault) yet the insurance company took their side and she's had two back operations since.

Great eh?

• 1 month later...

Well, a month or so down and no disasters.   Make no mistake, this thing will turn round a kick me in the knackers hugely at some point, but for now it is utterly ace. Not so good on icy roads all the same. And mpg is hvering around 20 or so. I don't nind that given what is is.  Recommend everyone gets one for the experience!!!

The 20mpg wouldnt worry me. My 3.2 Omega only does 23mpg. Thing is I use my 190D, running on wvo for 70% of my driving, so a big thirsty luxobarge for the other 30% is my relatively expensive hobby. Some blokes will spend their disposable dosh on booze/ fags/ gambling / hookers etc etc. I spend mine on driving a car I enjoy driving. 

I also do my own spannering and spend a fair bit of time researching the ways of keeping a car running properly without wasting money, so these things can be less expensive than people often assume them to be.

The 20mpg wouldnt worry me. My 3.2 Omega only does 23mpg. Thing is I use my 190D, running on wvo for 70% of my driving, so a big thirsty luxobarge for the other 30% is my relatively expensive hobby. Some blokes will spend their disposable dosh on booze/ fags/ gambling / hookers etc etc. I spend mine on driving a car I enjoy driving.

I also do my own spannering and spend a fair bit of time researching the ways of keeping a car running properly without wasting money, so these things can be less expensive than people often assume them to be.

My 3.2 mv6 does 34 mpg on a steady run down an empty motorway but probably averages at 26 to 28 mpg.