Old Japanese Stuff at Billing - Pic's Added!

Spottedlaurel

If you’re near Northampton this weekend, in need of something to do or want to see some top-notch old cars, why not pop along to Billing? Some of us from OJC and the Datsun forum are going along as guests of the Toyota Enthusiasts Club to their National show, hopefully it’ll be like the old JAE shows before modern stuff took it over.

Several of us ‘shiters will be present, so if you want to admire one of Mash’s Datsuns, relax on the armchairs inside my Laurel or say hello to Hirst now’s your chance! Iwan from Holland is bringing my old Laurel hardtop over for the weekend, Hongkongphooey is hopefully attending in his fantastic Corona and the TEC will put on a good show of course – lots of lovely Crowns, Celicas and others to marvel at. Inevitably most stuff will be there on Sunday.

To whet your appetite, there’s a few pic’s from previous Billing shows here on OJC:

http://oldjapanesecar.proboards.com/ind ... hread=1463

Posted Image

Ratdat said he might also visit on Sunday in his R16. Even if you’re not in a Japanese car I’m sure the open-minded ones amongst us would love to see a few interesting cars parked alongside.

See you there?

Sporty? Hmmm, not sure if any/many Z/ZX ‘s will be there. Celicas, Corolla GTs, maybe early MR2? Coupe derivatives of saloons? Suzuki Whizkid? To be honest most of us revel in the distinct unsportiness of these old things...If you’re lucky Hirst might be wearing a sports jacket.Be great if you can make it along Pog.I should add that the field you’re looking for is Shelduck 1, which I think is at the back of the site near the river.

How much is it to get in now? It's per car isn't it?I would describe the jacket as "smart casual".Can't decide what car to go in though, it's a toss-up between the Charmant and Galant.

Will anybody be there on saturday SL? - Sunday's the pre 82 Ford thing at Gaydon.

There certainly should be, a lot camp over from Friday or stay at the nearby hotel. It's the TEC's big annual do so they like to make a weekend of it. Some Datsun people have definitely said they'll be there Saturday too.I'll be camping Saturday night, but won't be getting there until 9pm or so due to family stuff in the day. That way I still get an evening of talking nonsense, and the next day to concentrate on cars.You could camp over after visiting Saturday, as then you'd be on the way to Gaydon anyway...

How much is it to get in now? It's per car isn't it?I would describe the jacket as "smart casual".Can't decide what car to go in though, it's a toss-up between the Charmant and Galant.

Surprise us! Whatever, it's pretty much guaranteed to be the only one there. I say Charmant.Not sure about entry fee, but as said on OJC I think if you're attending a show they knock a bit off so worth mentioning as you go in.The TEC have asked anyone exhibiting to contribute £1, which seems utterly reasonable to me.

What a great weekend! While sadly there weren't huge amounts of cars in attendance, what was there was very, very good. And of course it was good to catch up with people and make new friends who hitherto existed only inside a PC.

A by-no-means exhaustive selection, more to come as and when I sort through my lot...

Posted Image

The OJC/Datsun side of the field.

Posted Image

Hongkongphooey's awesome Corona. Probably upset a few TEC purists who preferred this car when it was completely stock, but he's given it a new life and if it inspires one or two people to get into this kind of stuff that's got be good, right? Anyway, it looks drop-dead gorgeous, so who cares?

Posted Image

A stalwart of this event. Interesting paintwork, best-ever trim level.

Posted Image

Yay, twin rear wipers! Bet this 3.0 really shifts. Also saw one on the road when travelling back to Norfolk.

Posted Image

When did you last see one of these? Belongs to Datman, was originally discovered by Reallyloud.

Posted Image

First Crown into the UK.

Posted Image

This Corolla was stunning. 7000 miles from new, it was a firm favourite of the 'shiters present.

Posted Image

School bike action shot. Three of its former owners present.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Splendid Crowns. The estate was actually better than it looked.

Posted Image

Corona with a lot of filler and general wobbliness, but great to see it still about and coming along.

Posted Image

This Celeste caused much photography and coveting. A beautiful car in a rarely-seen colour.

Posted Image

Finally, for the moment, one of these wedgy Camries in 2.2 flavour will be my next car. Very useful to have a chat with the owner who bought this tidy 160k-miler for £700, would suit me perfectly for daily/winter use.