Top Deck

Joloke

I'm old enough to remember the times when owning an old car made you laughing stock. If you belted around in the early Eighties with something 20 - 30 years old, you were considered the village idiot. Only pre war cars were considered worthy of preservation, but the people who did it back then were also seen as eccentric tinkerers with a quirk. I have always owned old cars and always used them as transportation, not as a hobby next to a new/er car for everyday use. My cars are old, they are driven and they are driven hard. Nowadays this makes me a weirdo in the eyes of both - people not into old cars and people into old cars.

There are certain advantages to running an older vee hickle I've found.

The most recent being last Saturday when coming back from Holland.

Off the boat and Customs gave me a pull. The Customs bloke was more interested

in my van than what I had on board. Was asking how long I'd had it and,

although he knew it was a Pug, asked what model it was, coz he'd never seen one,

what the economy was like and such. I could've been smuggling all sorts of shit. Well it wasn't that 

much in the greater scheme.

Oldest motor on the ferry, as per usual. Even the Romanians have got newer heaps than me it seems.

Luckily it’s not cool... secondhand car prices are amazing at the moment!

(Not so good if selling, admittedly.)

Depends how old second-hand you go! Once you get earlier than the 90s, they start to rise. Rise quite dramatically.

Was down in Enfield visiting friends at weekend and saw this. Now the gods of autoshite have given me the perfect thread for it. Obviously in use every day, rougher than the photos give it credit for and completely illegal handmade plate. And it's an early slim bumper one. Remember when it was just cool to have a nice old car? This fella is still living the dream!!

post-26137-0-77453100-1540414320_thumb.jpg

post-26137-0-81391100-1540414352_thumb.jpg

post-26137-0-17725900-1540414377_thumb.jpg

Can't work out what that number is supposed to be, the fact it's spaced weirdly and 1s made to look like Ls would lead one to assume their is a real number in there somewhere rather than just having ROLLS printed on a plate.

But ROH 1S doesn't come up as anything and it's too old for an S anyway, anyone got any ideas?

ROI11S?

Ringer?

No, it's ROL 11S.

DVLA confirms it's a Rolls, listed as grey in colour. MoT'd 'til May '19 and VED until October '19.

He must have just missed out on Bonham's Goodwood sale in September. Registration RR1 went out the door for £460K.

On a similar note, those early Shadows are magic, and I'm busting to get one - ideally 1967/68. That one might be a little 'newer'. I know of a 1973 T-Type that has paintwork down to the primer which has an air of well warn but loved about it. Moreover, it carries the a three letter and 1 registration that has to be worth at least four times the value of the car. Complete two fingers up in my eyes.

He must have just missed out on Bonham's Goodwood sale in September. Registration RR1 went out the door for £460K.

On a similar note, those early Shadows are magic, and I'm busting to get one - ideally 1967/68. That one might be a little 'newer'. I know of a 1973 T-Type that has paintwork down to the primer which has an air of well warn but loved about it. Moreover, it carries the a three letter and 1 registration that has to be worth at least four times the value of the car. Complete two fingers up in my eyes.

They are allright - downsides are the complexity of the suspension and brakes - they need to be used & serviced regularly. Also the size and weight to park and work on. Furl consumption is single digit if pressed on or in traffic. Lovely but expensive. I would never have another.  Though I would have the later shape which IMHO looks better these days and is a bit more modern.

They are allright - downsides are the complexity of the suspension and brakes - they need to be used & serviced regularly. Also the size and weight to park and work on. Fuel consumption is single digit if pressed on or in traffic. Lovely but expensive. I would never have another. 

That may explain why that brown '79 example near me has been sitting on the driveway for years.

Was down in Enfield visiting friends at weekend and saw this. Now the gods of autoshite have given me the perfect thread for it. Obviously in use every day, rougher than the photos give it credit for and completely illegal handmade plate. And it's an early slim bumper one. Remember when it was just cool to have a nice old car? This fella is still living the dream!!

That's style, right there. Perfection.

They are allright - downsides are the complexity of the suspension and brakes - they need to be used & serviced regularly. Also the size and weight to park and work on. Furl consumption is single digit if pressed on or in traffic. Lovely but expensive. I would never have another.  Though I would have the later shape which IMHO looks better these days and is a bit more modern.

As you say the suspension, brakes and dare I say body are the killer expense. I had a very, very nice 1968 T1 in 2006 bought at Baron's Auction for £7700. I think I spent another £1500 on odds'n'sods. It's back to getting a good one to start with. I did a quick price comparison with bits for my Jag XJ6 S1 and, in some cases, the Jag bits were worse because they are far harder to obtain. At least for Shadows the bits can be found. Admittedly none of this is true Autoshite territory, but relatively inexpensive smart motoring.

I've always had the old motors. I was always that chap who drove the odd cars. Funny when I look back though when I had my Marinas, Maxis Dolomites they were looked at as odd old cars, but looking back they were only 10/15 year old cars then. It seemed I could buy anything I wanted for £50 back then. I  too used to automatically join the owners clubs for any car I bought. Never any use, apart from free entry into shows and possibly a brew and a gazeebo to stand under when it pissed down. I just like having them and messing about with them. I used to go to Tatton Park show religiously, twice a year, without fail. Then about three years ago I came to the realisation that I was walking round the same field looking at the same cars, parked in the same places with the same boards with the same brass plaques nailed to them. And realising that when you are stuck under that gazeebo in the pissing rain, that the people that you were squashed in with, were the kind of people you really didn't want to be stuck next to. My prize has to go to the Rover P4 owners club as the most boring set of twats I have ever had the misfortune to spend a sunny afternoon in a field with. And I drove half way down the country to do it too. Lesson learnt.

They are allright - downsides are the complexity of the suspension and brakes - they need to be used & serviced regularly. Also the size and weight to park and work on. Furl consumption is single digit if pressed on or in traffic. Lovely but expensive. I would never have another. Though I would have the later shape which IMHO looks better these days and is a bit more modern.

There was one cut up at last years NEC classic show that the RR club used as a teaching aid. The amount of wiring going through the vehicle was staggering. Even more so being a 70s vehicle. The loom was around the thickness of my wrist in sections.

My prize has to go to the Rover P4 owners club as the most boring set of twats I have ever had the misfortune to spend a sunny afternoon in a field with. And I drove half way down the country to do it too. Lesson learnt.

I drove what felt like half way around the world in a Trabbi to a Trabant / Warburg meet. I'm certain that the self same folk were there too.

Just been studying the plate and realised the S is a funny shape...

ROi 118 !!!!!!

Cheeky fucker, that has to be the worse case of miss-spacing/ manipulation ever!

Comes up as a 1970 " Rolls Royce Silver Spur". I'm no Crewe expert but as far as I know there's no such thing, it's a Shadow pure and simple. The Spur moniker was first used on LWB Spirits, Shadow 1s with extended wheelbases ( which this car is not) were just labelled LWB , Shadow 2s were Wraiths.

Presumably DVLA have just let this chancer or a previous one call it what he likes.

Just as well its MOT exempt as well , because looking at the last few advises for rot, it ain't getting another one.

Different car, I'm afraid. ROL 11S is a 2007 Phantom !

I've had a closer look at the plate.

Appears to be ROI 118 (Norn Iron). DVLA says blue Rolls, with no MoT result 'cos registered in 1970, and VED until October 2019.

6.2 litre engine  :shock:

....Cheeky fucker, that has to be the worse case of mis-spacing/ manipulation ever!....

This also shows the filth have no resources to pull the fella for it.