SD1 Woes

Bren

After having a new solenoid fitted I have tried to start the car today. Nothing except the throttle cable glowing red hot.

I cannot understand what has gone wrong with this car other to say my mojo for it has gone.

That's the engine earth strap missing/broken/not connected, so it's earthing via the throttle cable.

Yes - times like this makes you question the wisdom of braided brake hoses. Seen this before and handbrake cable has melted.

It’s surprising how much current a car battery can give out given a chance. I welded a spanner to the chassis on my Robin Hood kit car when I dropped it and found a bit of the chassis that I hadn’t painted well enough near the battery. It glowed orange along its whole length for best part of a minute as I frantically tried to pull the earth off (sadly I didn’t have the right sized spanner as it was doing an impression of an early Edison light bulb at the time)

I removed the majn earth - from the alternator bracket to the body. Structurally it looked ok however the copper colour is long gone and it is now grey. Gave everything a clean but I will try it with a jumplead tk the - on the battery tomorrow.

I removed the majn earth - from the alternator bracket to the body. Structurally it looked ok however the copper colour is long gone and it is now grey. Gave everything a clean but I will try it with a jumplead tk the - on the battery tomorrow.

I had this on my Citroen. Would not start - the earth seemed fine. Had it taken to garage - they tightened the strap and hey presto it started. Red face here...