Cycling North After Winter

Bucketeer

I went to the bike shop. The guy had a look, tightened both crank bolts with a BFO allen, then said it was fine. I questioned him about parts and prices and stuff but he kept saying 'it's fine now' and 'good forever' and waving me off.

The bike had worked fine since, but I'm still dubious over how many days/hours 'til it starts playing up again. I'll keep going as is for the moment. I'm going to buy a 8mm allen from a Halfords I saw in town and if/when it gets worse again I'll just visit a bike shop then.

Yeah, it'll all be fine.

If I had any sense (and a bit more money) I'd go down SiC's route and get the lot replaced. It may yet come to that but for the moment I'll just see how I get on.

I've bought a 8mm allen from Halfords for €OUCH. Just off to visit the sister of a girl that worked in the hostel in Rotterdam with a parcel now. Maybe a sofa to sleep on tonight too.

I'll add some details as I go along for those who are interested.

For navigation I have a fold up road map of Holland.

I also use the signs/maps that are dotted about the place.

post-13750-0-51978400-1544537189_thumb.jpg

post-13750-0-01193100-1544537236_thumb.jpg

These are handy when I'm beginning to think about somewhere to camp for the night. They tend to show wooded areas (which are my usual go to) or other secluded spots.

I also often just use signs, and my nose.

post-13750-0-98223600-1544537350_thumb.jpg

I had a rough idea at the start to head for Nijmegen along the river first. I've done that now, in a very zig zag fashion.

Next I'm going to start actually heading South, rather than East and a bit North. I haven't planned anymore than that, I'll have a look at my map tonight.

For navigation I have a fold up road map of Holland.

I also use the signs/maps that are dotted about the place.

I can definitely recommend getting maps.me on your phone - you can download maps in advance, so you can cue up the next few days worth whenever you can steal some

Wifi. The romantic in me hates relying on my phone, but I tend to find I forget about it when I'm lost in a forest in the High Caucasus, say.

Is that the original bridge from the Second World War? Reminds me of this film: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bridge_Too_Far_(film) , which was a classic Sunday afternoon film in the 1980s.

Operation Market Garden - in which the man who would posthumously become Jeremy Clarkson's father-in-law lost his trousers and gained the VC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Henry_Cain

I didn't see too much rammel about Nijmegen. There were a couple of big old American launches that I missed papping.

post-13750-0-77204500-1544560999_thumb.jpg

post-13750-0-83746800-1544561057_thumb.jpg

All throughout Holland, there have been many new cars, a few classics, and then loads of rough 90's Japanese stuff, mainly Swifts and Starlets.

post-13750-0-83497000-1544561097_thumb.jpg

I've seen tons of these Cherokees too. All seem to be holding up well.

post-13750-0-08788500-1544561140_thumb.jpg

Dross.

post-13750-0-74113300-1544561176_thumb.jpg

This Golf was all jacked up but had no badging anywhere on it, and no other Country add-ons.

post-13750-0-76501600-1544561212_thumb.jpg

The lhs crank came loose within a few miles on one of my moderns, I biked six miles back with no tools, just tightening with road chippings as best as I could. Tightening it properly has lasted three months now, mostly offroad. I wondered if plenty don't realise how tight those bolts need to be.

I went to the bike shop. The guy had a look, tightened both crank bolts with a BFO allen, then said he kept saying 'it's fine now' and 'good forever' and waving me off .

Excellent. Whilst I've enever even come close to your style of trip, I have spent a fair amount of time in Holland for work. Always found them to be pleasent folk, quite assertive, so for you to get a " Geron der bike and furk reete ofen " probably kept you this side of a chargeable repair.