Cycling North After Winter

Bucketeer

I’ve been commuting this week on the bike. Studded scwalbes have earned their keep. But I’m annoyed, daily, by idiot drivers who think it’s perfectly good to drive behind me with their main beam on.

Why is that bad? I use to like that as you can see better. Main beams coming toward me? Different story ofcourse.

Why is that bad? I use to like that as you can see better. Main beams coming toward me? Different story of course.

I wondered exactly the same thing tbh, unless richardmorris has mirrors on his pushbike?

I wondered exactly the same thing tbh, unless richardmorris has mirrors on his pushbike?

Yes, I do have zefal mirrors. It ruins night vision- you don’t come up behind a car with your main beam on, why do it to a bike?

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Zefal-Spy-Mirror_42287.htm?mkwid=s_dt%7Cpcrid%7C294431953420%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7Cb%7Cslid%7C%7C&pgrid=53343878787&ptaid=dsa-307732464445&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyLT25daL4AIVzrXtCh3M-QnbEAAYASAAEgKT6fD_BwE

Even if you don’t have mirrors, it helps to look behind occasionally to see whether the car behind is acknowledging your existence.

One last night was so intent on keeping his main beams on that a car coming the other way also put theirs on, this dazzling from both directions!

You will go loads faster without the trailer. Every gram makes a huge difference on a hill. Decathlon stuff is good value and usually well made, get their waterproof panniers if you can. Otherwise line with a rubble sack. Most tourers can get away without a rear rack and make do with strapping their tent to the top of the rear rack with bungees and using a frame bag. Front panniers add weight and wind resistance which probably isn't worth the carrying capacity.

WARNING LEFTFIELD TANGENT does yo want a tatty UK reg Shitron C4 diesel sipper, currently getting metric version of 65mpg at 60mph, probably available in Feb in some random Iberian gaf und guaranteed to bimble Moroccan roads/tracks with Gallic elan, size to stuff bike in and occasional dossing?

• 2 weeks later...