Tell me about Rover 620s with Honda alarms?

dieselnutjob

I have a customer who apparently flies all over the world fixing old Rovers, and he uses pscan to do it.

He's based in Barbados and flies to Ghana (I think that's what he said) to fix Rover 25s, 200s and 400s.

He keeps hassling me about Rover 600s with a Honda alarms (so not 5AS) and just called me on WhatsApp in the middle of a nice restaurant meal with the missus....

Anyway I haven't seen one of these things for years.

Can anyone tell me about them?

From MG John on the MG Rover Forum who knows his stuff

If the alarm keeps sounding, chances are one of the door switches, boot or bonnet switch is not positioned properly and the least breath of air can set one of those off ~ even another passing car. All the switches can be cleaned and this will help them do their job properly. Firmly closing the doors, boot lid and bonnet can also help. 

I find that the micro switch in the driver's door lock when loose affects the central locking rather than the alarm..

Had a couple of 600s which did that when I first got them but a few minutes cleaning all those dirt encrusted switches helped and the 'false' alarms stopped.

and more at https://forums.mg-rover.org/rover-600-121/mute-rover-600-alarm-going-off-randomly-399724/

There was an issue with the rover 600 regaurding the alarm system, this was due to water ingress through the rear screen (due to poor sealing around the rear screen trim clips)

This had the affect of contaminating the alarm ecu with water and causing speradic alarm triggers
Check the alarm ecu for dampness and if you find any have the rear screen checked for water leaks.
Mike Preston

The T Series had MEMS ECUs, not the Honda ones.

It seems that the remote central locking system on the 600 is a totally different system to the immobiliser which is purely a lock barrel pickup of a transponder chip in the key. It has a totally different ECU.

A bit of gen from my F20 engined fourth-gen Prelude: the Honda alarm box is independent of the central locking (which is non-remote). It may well be hiding under some trim in the passenger side footwell. It's wired into the central locking, and may or may not have an isolator switch somewhere - my Prelude had a keyswitch in the glovebox, with its own little key.

They can go haywire sometimes (my Prelude's often triggered itself), but if you unplug the siren and disable the alarm it'll never trouble you again. No clue how to fix them though.

The central locking will always work on the key regardless of the alarm.