One for Two Offer is now a roffle for the Galaxy

purplebargeken

This is another option re: pre-retirement fleet reduction and might be more interesting than me joining a long queue of worthy roffle cars that are around at the moment.

Straight swap desired re: my MOT'd Galaxy (1998) -see Project thread for more info and pictures, plus the blue BMW 318i Tourer (auto) (2001).

The BMW is located in the barn near Chelmsford, as will the Galaxy from Friday when the insurance runs out. The BMW needs fettling as mentioned in the separate thread but is driveable. It is highly likely that it needs a PCV/CCV thingy as that is a very well known E46 issue, the handbrake/rear brakes will perhaps just need a clean/adjust/set of pads maybe. The required valve and pipe cost around £38 quid on ebay and there are Youtube videos showing how it is done. 

Neither of the two cars are ULEZ friendly unfortunately, this will likely not be a major issue as the maps show that I live just outside of the proposed extended zone but if I venture even just a mile or so in a fair few directions I will be liable, this is a ball ache and a hassle despite vows to cycle everywhere, etc, etc. 

It is annoying as an identical BMW but a year newer is exempt. Hey ho.

What I am proposing is thus. The combined value of the two cars is around 800 to 900 quid, give or take a couple of quid.

Is there a shitter that might have something of interest that is ULEZ compliant (this is a must as it would make life a bit easier just in case I had a lapse of concentration and strayed into the planned zone), possibly also a bit interesting or different, of similar or a bit less value perhaps, with MOT, that they would consider for a straight swap for my two conveyances.

Not bothered if said swap vehicle needs a bit of a service or a good scrubbing but would need a reasonable ticket and be sound enough overall. Auto would be preferable for future mobility planning but not essential. Estate would be handy but again, not essential.

Turkish lunch or dinner on offer to said swapper. 

Here is a link to the ULEZ checker for ease of .............. checking 

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/check-your-vehicle

Over to you lot then.

Ken, when they brought in the LEZ they said everything pre 2001? Was not compliant however certain manufacturers adopted Euro 3? early and these vehicles needed to be added onto the LEZ system manually, it would be worth checking if they do comply with the standards or not - don't rely on the checker, the BMW sounds like it may well do.

To my surprise, the Forester is also apparently ULEZ compliant - despite burning fuel faster than many commercial aircraft...

^^ This has to be the best potential selling opening statement in the entire history of the internal combustion engine.

Swap for primera m8?

It’ll start and drive every single time long after your TT is in service at Chunglong Laundry Concern as a new washer.

...starting in the scrapyard after it failed on rust. ;)

Threat of potential ULEZ in Bristol is one of the reasons I still have it. Well that and I won't be able to get anything the same performance or age for the similar money.

What about my Mondeo? It’s exempt and a 2.5 V6 slushbox, interior is mint and a hatchback so although not Estate is still practical.

It needs a front wheel bearing that I have yet to fit (next week hopefully) but other wise not too bad.

Bodywork is denoted a fair bit but a good 100yard car.

I’ve convinced the wife a spare Galaxy on the drive is more economical than renting skips and I’d happily use the e46 for commuting.

If you’re interested, I’ll go have a sniff at your posts on the galaxy, etc.

I only paid £500 for the Mondeo though so will happily brim the tank in the deal if we can make it work?

That hath piqued my interest. It has the right size of engine and right flavour of transmission. Friend has a Mondy and it is spacious enough. Was said Mondy subject to a thread on it's own recently or am I getting confused?

Massive amounts of piccies would be cool though.

Yes it was the one and same. I’ll walk about the vehicle this evening and take many a picture..

Here’s my current thread, very pic light and ranting yoofs original for sale one, with more pictures.

http://autoshite.com/topic/33278-wbod-wizardry-mondeo-giffer-x-minor-tinkerage/?fromsearch=1

http://autoshite.com/topic/33223-sold-ford-mondeo-ghia-x-25-v6-auto-wbod-mot-july-2019/?fromsearch=1

Drivers seat won’t go down again but other electric ways adjust works, makes a noise but doesn’t budge so probably a stuck motor.

Only drivers side of windscreen quickclear is working , I’ve had relay out and it didn’t seem to be that so maybe a wire but otherwise is unsure.

Drivers front wheel bearing grumbles and as said, I’ve a pair of these to put on both front.

The car locks on remote but unlock isn’t very responsive even with a new battery so maybe a diff contact. Unlocks on key fine though.

There’s a slight knock from rear suspension over bumps that popped up today, not checked but only on drivers rear so I’ll have a check for a worn something or other.

It has a staggeringly history file since birth of main dealer fettling to present day with annual servicing and many hundreds thrown at it by a previous owner.

It’s a lovely thing and makes a juicy burble, it’s perfect for winter and I have no need to change it but if it tickles your fancy, variety is the spice of life, etc...

I came to ask the same question... I'm in the BMW roffle but pics would assist with a purchase decision.

As a general question, what's the ride quality like in those? I'm after something comfier than a lowered Saab 9-5 (pay attention to "lowered," it would probably be ok if it was standard).

Galaxy now at the barn as insurances run out tonight. Drove well, lovely and comfy. Squishy ride as mentioned, never driven another so I have nothing to compare it to, no leaks but maybe tired or just normally soft, who knows.

Took a little while to get up to temp so might need to budget for a new thermostat.

Photos of BMW will be loaded later today, not the best as I only had a couple of minutes................ and left the keys at home, doh. Will be back there on Tuesday hopefully.