Rover gR8 220SLi - CONGRATS CATSINTHEWELDER - donation now made

Cheezey

That is Jolly civil of you.

I understood that a battery doesn't have to be clamped anymore for an MOT pass. I am sure my tester was saying a battery secured by the leads can't be classed as insecure. I might have misunderstood what he was saying though, so better to have or clamped down than not.

I was reading Bol's thread from when he got the car, over on retro. He did quite a bit of work on it, Headgasket, Cambelt and Gearbox bearings to get it all sorted. Just goes to show how it all made for years and miles of realiabilty.

No, the battery must be 'secured' and the wires aren't sufficient, as the battery could touch the bonnet in the case of an accident, especially a rollover.

The Daewoo Matiz failed its MOT on this (among other things)

This is also a 3 points and fine offense. Don't ask how I know. :(

Hardly a priority for you but I liberated a battery clamp and a drivers door trim for you from an R8 tourer in my local scrappy , dash was different so didn’t get the clock. Wings were mint but dark blue. Pm me your address and I’ll post these to you

attachicon.gifD0E1BFC4-E829-4EB5-A47F-FBE4C8644FA2.jpeg

You legend, thankyou :D

I finally got around to jacking this up to look at the exhaust today.  The flexi is heavily patched and still leaking badly with leaks in 2 places on the solid* pipes.  I had to wait to find this out as it failed to start helpfully in the first place it had been parked where I couldn't bump start it.  Fortunately we'd been working on the 1310 earlier so that did start and was able to supply a jump start.

I'm going to concentrate on sorting out the flexi as it's the hardest to bodge.  Depending on results here I'll either be welding or replacing further back.

I finally got around to jacking this up to look at the exhaust today.  The flexi is heavily patched and still leaking badly with leaks in 2 places on the solid* pipes.  I had to wait to find this out as it failed to start helpfully in the first place it had been parked where I couldn't bump start it.  Fortunately we'd been working on the 1310 earlier so that did start and was able to supply a jump start.

I'm going to concentrate on sorting out the flexi as it's the hardest to bodge.  Depending on results here I'll either be welding or replacing further back.

MIGHTY DACIA.

I have loads of old exhaust pipes if you want to try and bodge something up. Lakes pipes is the easiest way forward i reckon

• 4 weeks later...

I've (probably foolishly) been waiting for Toms mate to break the 418 so I can get the exhaust (not quite the same but should be similar) screen, wings, mirror etc.

post-4555-0-28978900-1543010137_thumb.jpg

The problem is that he isn't in a hurry. 

Plan B was to find a universal flexi section to replace the really knackered bit and put yet more patches on the rest.

I should probably go for plan C though 

Does this look right? 

Front section

Mid section

Rear section

Rubbers x5

Front gasket

Front-mid gasket

I'll look underneath first but I should be able to get away with just replacing the front and mid sections.  I think I should put it in for a test first though in case it's a massive weldathon.  It runs at the moment so I don't want to spend loads on consumables for a project car.  A new exhaust could be half knackered if it sits around as long as the Disco.  An added complication is that I've just been offered a 2009 Focus diesel.  I should have said no straight away as I don't get on with moderns but I'm really tempted to take it on.

As it was in the system

Apec pads

Pad689 fr

Pad688 rr

Discs apec

Dsk521 front vented 262mm dia

Dsk257 rear solid 239mm dia

Service bits by mahle

Lx632 (A.F)

OC237/1 (O.F)

KL158 (F.F)

Plugs are BKR6E (6962) NGK

10w40 oil, takes 5.8ltrs

Wipers 18"

Exhaust euroflow

Exrr3022 centre, rubbers emr011

Exrr6034 back box, rubbers emr060

Cat gaskets emg046 x2

Manifold to downpipe emg081

Track rod ends first line, FTR4465

Drop links FDL6405

Sump gasket op0369 by BGA

Aux belts

5pk1163 with p.s no a/c

6pk1445 with p.s and with a/c

Sure I've got a mid section for a 214 in the shed if you think it would be of any use.

Also think there is a clock and some wheel trims that I'm more than happy to get across to you somehow.

The clock would certainly be good as the current item is very dead although fitting it worrys me slightly as it involves prying off the wood veneer on the back of the dash.  Current trims are scruffy so spares are always handy.  The centre section is certainly tempting as the pictures on ebay look similar, the 214 has two thin silencers against the 220's single thick one but being as the front sections look identical but aren't then I can only assume the 220 is a larger bore?  Does anyone know before I buy bits?

Quite a tidy looking estate that. Hope it's slightly less crispy than that Rover anyway.

Thanks Paul,  when I took that picture 405's were the most popular car in the carpark (yours was opposite).

He doesn't want to sell any bits off the Rover, he is going to keep it as spares for his.

Take the Focus, should be simple winter motoring.

Doh,  I really should have guessed.  I feel really bad about it but I am going to get the Focus, should be mostly reliable till it inevitably kersplodes at the most inconvenient moment being a 1.6 TDCi.  It should generate its own level of mechanical excitement straight away as it needs a cambelt more or less straight away.

I don't think the 1.6 PSA engine is all that bad on a cheap car. I know a couple of people who have them and they seem ok, despite the horror stories I hear. You just have to realise it is a throwaway vehicle. As soon as it plays up just get rid of it. Don't waste time and money on it.

P s.

Please show us pictures of your bodywork on the 220. In these dark winter months we could do with a laugh.

'wob by catapult'

Mine has been parked next to the Rover a fair bit but I couldn't get next to it the other day or it would have been in shot too. I Can't think of the last time I even saw another 405 round here so to have 2 in one spot is a very rare occurrence!

Fun fact. When I drove to Gaydon on Wednesday, I saw TWO 405 estates along the way! I also saw a left-hand drive FSO Polonez. It was quite a journey.

Mine has been parked next to the Rover a fair bit but I couldn't get next to it the other day or it would have been in shot too. I Can't think of the last time I even saw another 405 round here so to have 2 in one spot is a very rare occurrence!

Really? I often see a tidyish red one outside your house. I just assumed it was someone you knew!

There is also a nice white one in the area that I have seen a couple of times.

Really? I often see a tidyish red one outside your house. I just assumed it was someone you knew!

There is also a nice white one in the area that I have seen a couple of times.

HTF have I missed that then? Nothing to do with me. I thought I was the only 405 licker in the village!

Pity about Cats potential spares car but it's nice to know that old blue one will have plenty to keep it going for the foreseeable.

I guess winning the Rover bike is like inheriting your great uncles smelly old Rottweiler that has skin problems, everyone say's ahhh but no one has the balls to put it down, she's a faithful old hound under the scabs though ! 

I'm happy to chip in a little for parts or grab more bit's from the scrappy.

I'm hoping that the screen, exhaust and annual handbrake fettle will see it through the test once I've bodged up the front wing holes but they are kind offers.  Once it's through the test it would be nice to find some front wings.  Vulg has offered me some doors which I can hopefully collect at xmas.

I've been a bit rubbish at taking photos of my odd bits of bodywork.  I spent a quiet hour at work making lots of noise with the grinder a couple of weeks back and derusted the passenger side.  A bit of wob was trowelled onto the rear quarters before a quick blast with the zinc primer on the freshly bare metal showed it to be a far better match for the grey than the poundland white was for the top half.  I've since got a can of diamond white and thats miles off too,  will try some old english white if I can get some.  Unfortunately the rust is showing through already in a couple of places but its better than it was.  I've smoothed the filler off now and painted it white.  Its not great but covers the holes without sticking out like a sore thumb like it did when Tom saw it.

Speaking of pictures I did promise some didn't I?post-4555-0-95523100-1543273106_thumb.jpg

post-4555-0-25879800-1543273271_thumb.jpg

Would sir like a close up of the horrible wob?

post-4555-0-46973500-1543273374_thumb.jpg

In more positive news I've just ordered all the bits to replace the front 2/3rds of the exhaust, expect a grumpy next week when the rear 1/3 drops to bits while I'm still washing the rust out of my eyes. It's going for an MOT before I buy a screen to see how bad the rest is but the noise has reached taking the piss levels.

In other news Omegod kindly sent me a battery clamp and bit of driver's door trim. Now my shiny new battery (pinched from 405) is all secure.