Howdy Hay Too - Wipers.

Tayne

I’ve got a dip tester for detecting gasses in coolant I can post you if you want? If it’s loosing that much water it must be seriously pressuring or coming out somewhere else .

Thank you very much, I'll take you up on that.

That's the curious part - it's hardly a car that would appeal to the general public, ok it's in reasonable condition but joe punter would run a mile from 183,000 miles. unless they saw a quick fix and wanted to keep it for themselves ?

I spent 5 hours cleaning it on Monday.

I was asked, admittedly by someone who knows nothing about cars*, from 30 feet away if it was a brand new car and I had put a private number plate on it.

*They drive a Corsa.

Pressure in the expansion bottle is the only constant, I know there was a fair bit when it first happened and there was a little bit this morning (after a 17mile drive and 1 1/2 hour cool down) so I'm going to try MattTheCat's test tomorrow.

It has been pulled out of the garage who want to buy it off me and its sulking in the works car park.

The fluid on the ground was from the bottle side of the car but the bottle was holding pressure this morning so i can only assume that either there's a small amount being forced out or something is weeping on that side.

Could it even be as simple as a fucked cap?

Did a google search for A2 loosing coolant and seems you are not alone.

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/topic/86272-losing-coolant/

Cylinder head warped???

Wow. I didn't know an engine can be so creative in the way it can destroy itself. Over pressurising from a head warp/gasket failure taking out other cooling system components but not actually killing the engine itself.

Start it from cold, and pop the pressure cap off after a minute of idling. Any hiss is bad news, as pressure won't yet be due to heat, but combustion gases. It'll confirm whether the garage are to be believed :-(

Right, there may be a reprieve for the small green roffle machine.

I opened the bottle, topped the coolant up (overfilled it slightly), hooked up the obd2 and turned the engine on.

I ran it for 6mins 15 secs and coolant temp got up to 31 degrees.

I turned it off and gingerly opened the cap....

No pressure whatsoever.

I’m going to wait for the sniff kit to arrive from Cort and then try again.

A colleague has suggested that the screech on start up is the water pump bearings as his vw 1.9 di has made a similar noise before needing a water pump.

Water pumps are a know failure on these.

Have some images to celebrate.

post-3942-0-54444200-1539778899_thumb.jpeg

post-3942-0-93486900-1539778940_thumb.jpeg

And if you’re curious about how much coolant it dropped yesterday...

post-3942-0-73142200-1539779015_thumb.jpeg

water pump screech sounds plausible, and it should be easy enough to get the parts. let's hope it's a straightforward fix and you can get on enjoying it.

it looks really good all polished up - if you want to refit the boot badges, they're in a wee baggie in the glovebox

The header tank hasn't split at the seam has it?

I remember having that happen on one car, and it was a right bugger to spot, for all you'd think a leak there would be obvious. It's also modern enough that bits that should really be metal (think thermostat housing) are likely plastic, so keep that in mind when digging.

Sounds like a mirror on a stick is needed to help, or to get it on ramps for a look underneath. If it's losing that much it should be pretty obvious.

Know I'm probably preaching to the choir, but an engine this modern will have lots of dissimilar metal bits in, so really shouldn't be run for any longer than strictly necessary without proper coolant in.

Wow. I didn't know an engine can be so creative in the way it can destroy itself. Over pressurising from a head warp/gasket failure taking out other cooling system components but not actually killing the engine itself.

Cough Triumph Stag V8

I didnt realise that a. these ickle cars were quite nice looking b. as old as they are 

hope it fixes cheaply

Yes, it does have proper coolant in it (no idea of the concentration at the moment).

Anyways, i have found someone trustworthy (hopefully) and the car will go up there on monday, he said bottle or obscure hose as the cause and also seems to think the water pump is fine.

I'll leave it at work in the meantime.

In my part of the world Audis have a certain cachet, I'd guess at perceived quality and four wheel drive for the winter, because of this the most successful Audi dealer in Europe (until 3 years ago) was in Aberdeen.

That means that some people look at a clean, shiny Audi that they don't recognise and are convinced its a new car, as happened today in the works car park.

They were convinced it was wearing a private plate and really struggled with the concept of it being 17 years old.

They were foxed by the question, "how much do you think i paid for it?'.

When i said £10...  "FUCK OFF YOU JAMMY BASTARD!"

The a2 is a fairly povvo spec car and doesnt have much in the way of toys, as I always like to know the exact spec of a car I wanted to see the code sticker.

It was buried in the compartment under the boot floor but one of the styrofoam dividers didnt want to move.

I ended up yanking it out and discovered that it’s a steel balance weight.

post-3942-0-69220900-1539950577_thumb.jpeg