Howdy Hay Too - Wipers.

Tayne

I particularly like how Tayne's photo shows me head-first in the passenger footwell looking for the OBD port.

I never did ask... where is the OBD port on it? Seeing as you did have a reader plugged in somewhere eventually.

under the dash on the drivers side

That's not bad economy is it? I drove a VW XL1 yesterday, and achieved 80mpg in something so super-focussed on being economical that it almost hurts. Was only 60mpg uphill...

I did actually think that when I watched your video, I’m not familiar with the terrain around your house but our run today was over a mountain with four wheels in the back and wasn’t an economy drive.

I’m going to brim it in the morning so I can get an exact figure.

I've been looking at these on the ever reliable Wikipedia* and found this very interesting segment on the mainland Europe 1.2TDi which appears to be pinnacle Autoshite! I never knew they did a 1.2TDi...

The Audi A2 1.2 TDI had the lowest drag coefficient of any car in the world at the time of its launch.[21] It was also one of the most economical and least polluting, only emitting 81 g/km (German emission standard D4) to 86 g/km (D3 emission standard) CO2 emissions. The Audi A2 3L reuses the engine and special gearbox developed for the equally efficient Volkswagen Lupo 1.2 TDI 3L.

Two versions of the car were available in Germany during its production run. The D4 version, which used only 3 l/100 km (94 mpg‑imp; 78 mpg‑US), was "standard." It had no power steering, air conditioning or other extras, with the only optional extra being body coloured door handles and wing mirrors. There were no optional extras because optional equipment adds weight and therefore reduces economy. It had a fixed rear seat cushion. The tested fuel economy was 2.88 l/100 km.

The second version, which was at least available in Germany, was a D3 version which was still capable of 3.0 l/100 km. This version had options for air conditioning, a winter package, and a comfort package, but was not available in all markets. Ordering these packages ensured power steering or spot lamps as part of a package. The OSS system was not available at all on the 3L.

Both versions had thinner glass, lighter seats,[23] and 14" Magnesium alloy wheels. The standard tyre fitment was 145/80 R14 T76 Bridgestone Ecopias or Continental Winter Tyres using very flat wheel covers to minimize turbulence. The engine block was also made from a light alloy, so even though it was a diesel, it weighed just 100 kg (220 lb).

The rear spoiler was reshaped, moved and extended through wind tunnel testing, and additional underbody panels were added to minimize drag to achieve a 0.25 cd figure.[24] The car had an automated manual transmission with a Tiptronic mode on the selector. The car also had an ECO mode. When engaged it limited the power to 41 bhp (31 kW; 42 PS) (excluding kick down) and programmed the transmission to change up at the most economical point.

ECO mode also activated the start/stop function, a feature that was new to European cars at the time.[25] In ECO mode, the clutch was disengaged when the accelerator pedal was released for maximum economy, so the car freewheels as much as possible, with the clutch re-engaging as soon as the accelerator pedal or brake pedal is touched. The 3L also has only 4 wheel bolts and finned alloy brake drums at the rear, along with many aluminum suspension components.[26] An internal presentation from Audi appears to indicate that the complete shell of a 3L A2 weighs around 15 kg (33 lb) less than that of a "normal" A2. The 3L has been noted on the Autobahn under non-scientific conditions to be faster at top speed than the standard A2, mainly as a result of the extremely long 5th gear ratio and the excellent aerodynamics.

A total of 6450[5] 1.2 TDI models were built.

Two things I noticed today.

Firstly the aerodynamics mean that the upper portion of the rear screen doesn’t get wet above 40mph (in conditions where the wipers were on full at the front and struggling to clear the screen).

Secondly there’s a lack on insulation in the roof to the point where the big water droplets falling from trees and bridges make a noise on the roof like someone shooting wriggly tin with an air rifle.

As a contrast, a friend used to have a Mercedes clk convertible (A209) and you couldn’t hear the rain on the fabric roof as it was two inches thick.

The best I managed was 66mpg between Edinburg and Newcastle at a fairly constant 60mph, generally if you can get 350 milos out of a tank, you are doing well. 63mpg hooning over mountain roads is impressive.

The best I managed was 66mpg between Edinburg and Newcastle at a fairly constant 60mph, generally if you can get 350 milos out of a tank, you are doing well. 63mpg hooning over mountain roads is impressive.

About 120 miles from the first quarter, though I may have put some in the filler neck.

You’ve just given me another target, over 350mile from a tank.

66mpg on the display or calculated?

This is the best I've seen on the Passat's display which is reasonably accurate.

8130ebff287d3f67f1c25763ec2e425a.jpg