Life in the old dog yet

Tamworthbay

Hmmm, handbrake seems to have gone from weirdly ineffective at start to won’t even hold on a fairly gentle hill. Looks like that has also been added to the sooner rather than later job list :-(

If it’s anything like the one I had in my S80 change both the shoes and the springs. I initially only changed the shoes and I could get it to either hold and drag or not hold and not drag. Shoes + springs = perfect hand brake

54.4mpg. Oh, get away with you and your outrageous mpg joy.

Swine :)

It’s dropped a bit from before the cambelt change, it probably needs the dynamic timing doing on the pump but that needs computers and elastic trickery and shite. It starts and runs nicely so more tempted to just leave it be rather than chase a few extra mpg. Still giving a range on a full tank of 850 miles. Even around town it’s doing mid 30s which is good for a big old tank.

London is nearly achieved. You can tell by the men in jumpers with fancy scarves, the massive number of stupid 4x4s and the inability of anyone to be even remotely polite. The Ovlov does command a certain presence on the road though which helps. I am also the owner of three spaces in a packed car park. They are obviously worried it's oldness will infect them.post-19712-0-24414400-1541506617_thumb.jpg

Now at Brunel Uni to drop in on old colleagues for lunch, bloody hell it's changed. I didn't recognise it at all. Sat in a car park I have used loads of times but would believe you if you said it was somewhere completely new. Those tuition fees have made some local builders rich.

Hmmm, handbrake seems to have gone from weirdly ineffective at start to won’t even hold on a fairly gentle hill. Looks like that has also been added to the sooner rather than later job list :-(

The lining are prone to coming away from the shoes and can do some nasty damage if you're unlucky - perhaps worth popping the discs off to check. It's an easy and fairly quick job.

Pleased the car's giving good service, aren't they ace?!

The lining are prone to coming away from the shoes and can do some nasty damage if you're unlucky - perhaps worth popping the discs off to check. It's an easy and fairly quick job.

Pleased the car's giving good service, aren't they ace?!

Hmmm, need to have a look at them pronto then. After the adjustment they seem better but still needs checking.

Presently sat in Warwick services waiting for the traffic to die down a bit (and fill my face). This trip has been 70mph when possible and then 40-60 slow down, speed up stuff on the way back and it’s averaged 50.5mpg over the 200 miles so far and a very comfy and pleasant place to be. Found that the cup holder is cracked so doesn’t hold a drink properly so will need to to sort that vital life endangering piece of safety kit ASAP.

Home! Thank god I don’t have to that shit every day anymore. I don’t know how anyone can commute long distances anymore. And to think that for two years I commuted from Kenilworth to Bracknell every day without thinking about it.

I need to go to Sheffield on Friday am but need to be back.home by 2pm.

Put that into Google maps. It knows how shit the traffic usually is. I need to leave by 11 am.

Is it worth going at all??

I need to go to Sheffield on Friday am but need to be back.home by 2pm.

Put that into Google maps. It knows how shit the traffic usually is. I need to leave by 11 am.

Is it worth going at all??

I really do feel sorry for anyone who has to suffer this day in day out. It would genuinely drive me crazy I think.

I really do feel sorry for anyone who has to suffer this day in day out. It would genuinely drive me crazy I think.

I left Wolverhampton at 5:20

Headed for the M6 Toll (£3:10 at silly o'clock) and then A38 and M1.

Am now in McDs having coffee and shitemuffin cause I have missed all the traffic. I have listened to Guns n Roses and The Jam (on Tape)

I have 3/4 of an hour to waste before my meeting.

I research wrong move for Kiltox's next property. Wife says she's seen something we need to look.at.

I've spent this week driving into Leeds everyday. The only way to make it not insanely annoying is to arrive before 8am for a 9am course & walk to Gregs for breakfast.

post-19712-0-20305200-1541943283_thumb.jpg

Earning it’s keep again today. It’s been a long week and today was going to be a day spent on tidying it up a bit but sadly PBK has put his back out (hope you are feeling better Ken) so it was put into building action again. Standard height doors fit in well, even with someone in the back of the car. They end up an inch behind but above your head so even comfy to drive like that.

Did you know that there's a quick release to remove the seat squabs and that the front passenger seat folds forwards? I'm sure you did, but I thought it was worth mentioning if you're going to be carrying building materials.

Yes thanks mate but I had two passengers as well. It’s as a good a car based van and, as with all older Volvos, they really put thought into making the space useable.

Did another flush of the coolant today and decided it would be a good time to fix the big hole in the undertray. I thought about bonding some carbon on and a few other options but decided a bit of scavenged ally plate and four poprivets were more in keeping with a stead on AS

post-19712-0-61753400-1542392253_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
post-19712-0-99059200-1543582991_thumb.jpgpost-19712-0-84867100-1543583017_thumb.jpg Jez mentioned the brake fluid was a bit dodgy when we did the cam belt so finally got around to changing it today. I thought it was supposed to be checked at MoT time but......... Having changed it the difference is surprising, never noticed much before when I have flushed the fluid on other cars but this time there is a distinct extra hardness to the pedal which is good. In other news Doc says I need to drink more :-)

• 1 month later...

Building work has meant I haven’t had much time to do anything other than drive the Ovlov. The passenger door needs sorting and there is still the clunk on full lock when turning right to investigate. It also does weird electrical things, nothing massive, just strange. I was on the A5 today with a load of 4x2 stacked in the back when the interior light came on. Small brown trouser moment as I expect to see tailgate opening and timber disappear to cause death and destruction but nothing and all doors secure when checked. Then there is the light for the passenger side heated seat switch, sometimes it’s on, sometimes it’s not. If I tap it the cluster lights come on and off so assume there is a dodgy earth that needs finding. Just ticked over to 241000 miles and no water used in last 1000 miles so that is a major success!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The DAB thingy is awesome, decent music reigns (part from a local roundabout which is a dead spot. In other news the winter tyres are wearing obscenely quickly, doubt they will manage 10000 miles. I have dibs on a set of phase 2 wheels which I will get some nice summer tyres on when I have them. I have just ordered more oil and another filter, it was really grotty when I got it and the filter was ancient, so a second change after 6 months seems sensible. Otherwise it continues to be a good workhorse but hand brake will need sorting properly before the next MoT. The front bumper is scruffy and oddly that is annoying me. So far attempts to find a replacement have defeated me.

Weird one this afternoon going to the hospital at Cannock, it popped and farted like it was running out of fuel for a couple of seconds. Then was idling rough at the next lights and sluggish off the line. So I gave it a little ‘Italian tune’ for a mile and all seems well now. So hopefully just a bit of crap in the fuel that needed to work it’s way through. I was sure I had a bottle of injector cleaner but can’t find it.