Life in the old dog yet

Tamworthbay

Took a wire wheel to the grotty bits underneath today, stupidly forget to take any pics but will get some when it’s in the air next. Good news is that the tow bar isn’t bad (as predicted), bad news is that the section it’s attached to is pretty ropey on the passenger side. It’s also not as easy a fix as I had hoped and the exhaust will have to come to do it properly, so utter ball-ache really. For now I have stuck a shit load of the old David’ Zinc182 on it (the stuff that makes you feel like you are floating after ten minutes with the lid off). I will then stick it full of wax and cover the outside with some shizzle or other. Hopefully that will keep the rust at bay until I can get the motivation up to do it. As long as I don’t use the tow bar it’s not a major issue.

Also got the fuel filter in the post. Had a (very) quick looks and can’t see how the shield comes off. Seems to on,y have one bolt but I will have a better look when I get a second as it can’t be difficult.

Also both fuel filters have a plastic bit on the bottom, excuse my ignorance but I am guessing they are to drain water off. Do you just turn them until water/ diesel comes out?

Also both fuel filters have a plastic bit on the bottom, excuse my ignorance but I am guessing they are to drain water off. Do you just turn them until water/ diesel comes out?

In theory yes. Every one I've ever touched on any make of filter has just snapped off & left me with a leaking filter though.

Also got the fuel filter in the post. Had a (very) quick looks and can’t see how the shield comes off. Seems to on,y have one bolt but I will have a better look when I get a second as it can’t be difficult.

The shield is attached to the engine block and the one bolt you see is for a circlip style arrangement that holds the filter in place, you might need a fuel filter wrench to release the spin on filter, you can use a 17mm(?) open end spanner to counter hold the housing.

The shield is attached to the engine block and the one bolt you see is for a circlip style arrangement that holds the filter in place, you might need a fuel filter wrench to release the spin on filter, you can use a 17mm(?) open end spanner to counter hold the housing.

I think this might be a bit different, it’s attached to the inside of the engine bay as opposed to the engine and the shield covers the entire length of the filter, or does the fuel filter wrench fit up inside?

This weekend has been swallowed up with an unpredicted visit from the mother in law (but she did buy us a pub lunch) and some preparation for the upcoming building work so the filter is still on the to do list but thanks for info guys. A pic of the Ovlov doing what they do best. 3m length of pipe? No problem! The guy at screwfix was a little surprised when it just disappeared into the back.

post-19712-0-43044800-1540121262_thumb.jpg

In less good news the click of doom is back on the passenger door so that will need doing sooner rather than later. Will need to be a proper door off job this time I think.

After a shit load of high zinc primer it doesn’t look as bad, then covered it in Dynax UB and S50 to stop it getting worse. It’s pretty crusty still but shouldn’t get any worse at least. I forget to get a pic before but it was well grotty. The metal that’s left flexes if you push it hard so will definitely need doing but this will do until the better weather next year.

post-19712-0-13547900-1540131989_thumb.jpg

And the fuel filter has been changed. Dead easy once you unclip the tubes from the housing and unbolt the housing so you can tip it over and get the filter out. With the new one on it ran for a few seconds then died but started ok after a bit of cranking to fill the new filter (I had put some in but not enough obviously). Old one was a decent male but had been on three years so due a change.

post-19712-0-42179000-1540132012_thumb.jpg

A match in a used diesel filter would probably make a superb improvised smoke bomb. As a kid we used to make something called fire cake that my granddad taught us how to do (he was ex home guard so guess that’s where he got it from but don’t know for sure) that was great fun as long as you didn’t use too much.

post-19712-0-78524700-1540806350_thumb.jpg

Good and bad again, good being the brilliance of fitting 2.4m lengths of timber in no problem, bad being the complete lack of heated seats on a cold morning :-( but more annoying is the drivers door refusal to close properly as soon as it gets a bit chilly. It’s a PITA and not sure how to sort it. Knee deep in building this week so it will have to wait.

Is it the latch or seals on the driver's door? Wd40 or swamp the latch mechanism with gun oil?

It’s the latch and it’s an odd one, it seems to work perfectly but just not fully close when it’s cold. I am just about to have a fiddle but there doesn’t seem to be any adjustment that I can see. It may need a new latch plate I suppose as the plastic bit looks a bit worse for wear.

Just had a play and it is indeed adjustable and has been duly adjusted, sadly the car is now warm so I won’t know until tomorrow if the problem has been solved but seems good.

Did the stereo reach you Ok JB by the way?

Sorry fella, yes it did, I should have said. Now all I need is a car with space for a double DIN!

Oh boy do I ache now, the timber above and a load of other stuff I already had has been turned into this:

post-19712-0-80209000-1540841422_thumb.jpegpost-19712-0-54261700-1540841438_thumb.jpeg

For someone waiting on a decision for spinal surgery I am quite chuffed with myself. The workshop will be much warmer and useable all year round once finished. In other news the professional builder who is supposed to be doing the new new bits didn’t bother to turn up today, he was here Friday and supposed to be back this morning but is ill and so ill he didn’t bother letting me know, at least I assume that’s the reason but he seems able to text still. Time will tell......

I was hoping to do some more today but that would be stupid, I need to have a more chilled out day with no car or building activity I think. The problem is that I hate sitting doing nothing but need to source some electrical bits ready for my mate to do the first fit so will probably do that so it’s not wasted time.