Life in the old dog yet

Tamworthbay

Back at home now, had a bath and completely knackered. I really cannot thank Jez enough for his help with this. We started at 6.30 last night and finished at 9, then on again at about 8.45 this morning but were really finished by lunchtime, after that it was just just flush, fill, run to temp, repeat until the water was relatively clear.

So what do I know? Could it be done my the home mechanic with hand tools? Jez is a brilliant guy to work with and his experience made the job so much easier. I wouldn’t be afraid to do another but without a lift I think you would need to allow at least two full days and expect to be utterly knackered at the end of it. You would also need the special locking tool for the crank as it would be impossible to do it the way we did. The job was fairly straightforward and as long as you take time to measure and mark everything before taking the belts off then the reassembly is simple enough. Nothing was really nasty and even the access was pretty good for all but a couple of bolts. It should be good for a great many more miles now.

We also had time to inspect the car in a bit more detail and the corrosion at the rear needs sorting sooner rather than later. For now I have covered it in Dynax UB but it will need the sparkly stick before too long. Similarly the tow bar will need attention as it’s now on the MoT but a good wire brush and paint should be enough. Jez also noticed that the brake fluid is a properly disgusting colour so that is on the list for changing ASAP. Other jobs to do include properly sorting the passenger door hold open thingy, drivers door handle, rear drivers side door not closing properly sometimes, a few electrical niggles blowing fuses, the cruise control, handbrake (Jez thinks the back plates are worn so a bit more involved than I had hoped but it’s doable) and a few other interior and exterior jobs to get it looking nicer. Looking forward to getting stuck in again and work throughthe list bit by bit.

Thanks to all for help, offers of help and general support on this one! It’s alive!!!!!!

post-19712-0-07809500-1539444367_thumb.jpgpost-19712-0-97734600-1539444395_thumb.jpgpost-19712-0-48951800-1539444421_thumb.jpg

Think it was due an air filter!

Were you able to confirm that the old pump was buggered?

Yup, it was leaking all along one edge. There was a lot of corrosion and tell tale signs on the body. It’s a no name part so probably a cheap aftermarket one at a guess. The seal also seemed strangely flat. I know they compress over time but this one was unlike anything I have seen before.

Car SOS is a load of shit compared to Autoshite.

Too right, and no feckers nicked it out my garage when I wasnt looking. It was nice to be able to work alongside Jez and therefore contribute to it being done but also to learn how to do a cambelt on something a little move advanced that a Pinto. We worked very well as a team with me doing a lot of the easy removal/ reassembly while Jez did the precision bits but also being able to see what that took and what is possible with professional quality tools.

Great to see - well done for sticking with it.

Bit of Vactan and Waxoyl will hold that rust up for a good while!

Sadly not as the crust starts on the inside (you can see it delaminating from the inside) but it’s big fat box section and not anywhere cosmetic so a shitty, weld spatter on head, job but complicated or expensive. I will probably get some box of the right dimensions and just graft it in. The tow bar should be ok with a wirestripper session and some Bilthamber high zinc primer and top coat.

After the success of the last couple of days I am knackered but I did treat it to some premium diesel as a reward. Funds are a bit tight at mo so progress will be limited to cheap/ free stuff for a short while. Judging from the air and oil filter tat came off it’s been a while since it’s had some tlc so will spend time on doing the basics first. I want continue to service the bits I haven’t as yet so will be getting a new fuel filter and brake fluid ASAP and also want to stick some injector cleaner in but have never used it so looking for recommendations. It’s not got EGR or DPF crap so that’s not an issue. What do dizzler people on here use?

Those pics of the underside of the Ovlov look like a mixture of some freshly discovered Roman baths and a beekeeping installation.

they do look a bit ancient, Stevie wonder was the MoT man a month ago so it's all good, not even an advisory or whatever they call them now. It’s not the end of the world though, I reckon a good day will see it done and the tow bar will probably be easier to unbolt and do off the car as long as I can shift the bolts.

Towbar looks fine to me, its a lot thicker than the chassis, leave it on.

Scrape it with a wood chisel, wear goggles, then paint over it, good as new*.

just think it will be easier off as it’s a shit job lying on your back. It’s only four bolts, how hard can that be........? (cough)

Rear end grot isn't unknown on these cars, it's worth taking the rear bumper off and attending to the bumper mounts before they disintegrate.

Thanks for info, I will probably just plaster it with wax for the winter to stop it getting worse then set aside a weekend next year when the weather is a bit better and do it properly.

Well it’s had a good test this evening, I got stuck in a queue for about half an hour, ironically stuck behind a broken down Volvo. Then stuck again behind a broken down artic. The needle never moved and I have checked and the water level is fine. This time last week I would have been crapping myself and waiting for the inevitable red light of watery doom. Onwards and upwards!

Fuck. That air filter is shameful!

Yup, I'd have avoided the Crossland filter and stumped £2 more for a Mann/Bosch one too  ;)

(I kid, I'm sure the Crossland filter will be fine, brand snobbery on my part means I never buy the ECP cheapest option for service parts!)

After the success of the last couple of days I am knackered but I did treat it to some premium diesel as a reward. Funds are a bit tight at mo so progress will be limited to cheap/ free stuff for a short while. Judging from the air and oil filter tat came off it’s been a while since it’s had some tlc so will spend time on doing the basics first. I want continue to service the bits I haven’t as yet so will be getting a new fuel filter and brake fluid ASAP and also want to stick some injector cleaner in but have never used it so looking for recommendations. It’s not got EGR or DPF crap so that’s not an issue. What do dizzler people on here use?

TBH I've never had any serious injector issues on pre PD VAG derv engines and aside from Mrs Eunos's Lupo running slightly lumpy at low revs recently they've been trouble free. FWIW I'm sure that was caused by her only ever using it for short trips and it never seeing more than 2K RPM, in that instance I chucked a bottle of 'Tunap' in and gave it a motorway run in 3rd/4th gear which seemed to sort it but IMO that was probably down to the Italian treatment rather than the additive.

If you're determined to clean the injectors/pump then running the car soley on Luiqi Molly diesel purge on an home brew set up seems to be quite well thought of, it's pretty simple and I'm sure works far better than just dumping a bottle of stuff in the tank....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_ZGh1KEec

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=87948

That being said, I'm not sure I'd bother if the car's running well! I certainly never have, just run it on standard pump diesel from a decent supplier, ours seem to like either BP or Shell. Premium diesel is likely a waste on old agricultural dervs like these, spend the money you save on good service parts and regular oil changes.

The Mann air filter was another £8, and I have never had issues with air filters. I wouldn’t use cheap oil or fuel filters but as long as air filters fit well (and this was does) I don’t see an issue. Shame they didn’t have the 50% off filters last week though.

Yikes, that's a fair old price difference... I wonder if TPS cater to these engines, I'm sure they were fitted to some Audi's? I usually find them cheaper than ECP anyway, their Quantum Platinum 5W40 PD oil worked out at £12.68 per 5l bottle when I last bought some. It's way above spec for the VE/ mechanical pump engines but at that price hardly worth using anything else!

Yikes, that's a fair old price difference... I wonder if TPS cater to these engines, I'm sure they were fitted to some Audi's? I usually find them cheaper than ECP anyway, their Quantum Platinum 5W40 PD oil worked out at £12.68 per 5l bottle when I last bought some. It's way above spec for the VE/ mechanical pump engines but at that price hardly worth using anything else!

Thanks, will check it out. I have no specific reason to add any, just that the state of filters suggests it’s had a ‘bottom of value curve’ lifestyle and as I plane to keep it for a few years at least I want it spot on. Also I don’t do the most miles so conscious that won’t help it in some ways.