Cars with strange mechanics

pshome

ZX and its passive rear wheel steering. Unusual at the time: since adopted for many other models by several manufacturers iirc.

I thought the ZX's sliding rear seat was a brilliant innovation too, but later found it was not a new thing.

Passive rear steer wasn't so unusual, Porsche made a big deal of it with the 928 in the 70s. It's a part of just about any chassis design due to the inherent flex in rubber bushings, usually the intention for slight toe-in and negative camber under load.

Makes me wonder what the earliest example of active rear steer was though?

I also find BMW E36 rear brakes a bit of an odder than standard design, the rear calipers are pretty standard, but don't have a handbrake mechanism. Instead they use the inside of the disc as a drum handbrake, complete with shoes and all supporting drum hardware.

My ex-Nissan engineer friend told me that all Nissan with rear disc brake had that arrangement until very very recently because the R&D didn't bother to learn the disc handbrake cable design.

My ex-Nissan engineer friend told me that all Nissan with rear disc brake had that arrangement until very very recently because the R&D didn't bother to learn the disc handbrake cable design.

No;

S12 Silvia disc only

S13 Silvia/200SX drum & disc

S14 Silvia/200SX disc only

A lot of misinformation in this thread....

No;

S12 Silvia disc only

S13 Silvia/200SX drum & disc

S14 Silvia/200SX disc only

A lot of misinformation in this thread....

Thought it was unbelievable too. Might have been specific model of Nissan. A few certainly had that arrangement or just not available with rear disc brake at all.

I’m sure junknsn will know it’s was used firsts is the 1907 crossly trumpet 7 side valve but the vr6 , v6 with a single cylinder head looks fucking weird to me.

engine.jpg

Even weirder than that, VW also made a VR5. Yes, a V engine with an odd number of cylinders.

post-5267-0-99939900-1539159125_thumb.jpg

Renault 6 weirdness has already been mentioned but for one thing. It has a starting handle but we can't figure out where the heck it's supposed to go. Putting it in the front of the car would insert it into the gearbox, and for it to work on the front of the wrong-way-round engine it would have to be inside the car going through the bulkhead, which is too stupid even for Renault.

So are we all in agreement that transverse leaf springs and drum in disc handbrakes aren’t unusual at all now ? :-)

Volvo used the drum in disc handbrake setup as well on 200/700/900/850 and probably more so no, pretty common I'd say...

Speaking of Volvo 850s, the semi independent rear suspension seems quite odd.

post-4786-0-06534900-1539162855_thumb.png

Even weirder than that, VW also made a VR5. Yes, a V engine with an odd number of cylinders.

attachicon.gifVR5.jpg

Renault 6 weirdness has already been mentioned but for one thing. It has a starting handle but we can't figure out where the heck it's supposed to go. Putting it in the front of the car would insert it into the gearbox, and for it to work on the front of the wrong-way-round engine it would have to be inside the car going through the bulkhead, which is too stupid even for Renault.

Makes a nice noise the V5

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

I can't find a thread for this...

Cars with odd ways to do mechanics, engine, drivetrain, electrics etc.  show them here.

Let me start with Peugeot running a belt around the corner.

Ha! saw this topic and my first thought was the Peugeot belts - I remember seeing one in a scrapyard and being amazed - and thinking it was a brilliant solution tho the transverse engine cooling issues that Minis etc al had.   That was before electric fans made it easy of course.