Hello, Im after some help from Audi history fans who might have books about the company (or VW or NSU) in the 70s and might be able to verify/ prove wrong something for me please...
I'm researching for an owners club magazine article on the history of the Porsche 924, and I've found an Audi marketing pdf about the history of Audi in the 1970s which states that the 924 was intended to be an Audi before it was cancelled. It's usually suggested that the 924 was going to be a VW or a replacement for the VW/Porsche 914 joint project.
I realise that at the time Audi would have been a brand or division within VW so its a bit of a grey area who would have commissioned it and what brand it would have sold as but there are plenty of versions of the story about and it would be nice to find out In a 'what might have been' sort of way.
I've been reading up about the history of NSU and tge Neckarsulm factory for a while (fastinating story!) and I suspected the 924 was destined to be an Audi for a while so was surprised to read it but wondered if it was just car manufacturers pr/marketing re-writing thier own history or whether it was true and had been discussed in books or elsewhere.
The evidence is quite compelling (and a bit dull obvs):
1. Gap in range between Audi 100 Coupe S being discontinued in 1976 (924 release year) and Audi Coupe launched in 1980
2. 924 built at Neckarsulm (ex NSU) not VW factory. Project was cancelled at such a late stage i assume all tooling and production line /factory lay out would have been in place so this is where it would have been planned to have been built before project sold to Porsche
3. Uses Audi, not VW engine. Yes, used in LT van but came from Audi 100 and the Audi F103 before that, but originally developed for Auto Union while under ownership of Daimler Benz, before they sold AutoUnion to VW.
4. VW were restructuring their range to be solely fwd front engine, so wouldn't have commisdioned any other layout.
5. Scirocco launched before the 924 project was cancelled, which puts paid to the story that VW designed and launched the more practical Scirocco instead.
6. The 924 project code was EA425, someone told me this would have been an Audi project code not VW but not sure?
7. Audi were relatively unknown outside Germany at this time, and were trying to break into the USA. (Dealerships would be shared Audi/Porsche in the US) so this car woukd have been ideal to sell alongside the 911 and 928. Look at what the 240z did for Datsun in the US.
Can't think of anything else, but really interested in thoughts/opinions, but specifically any mention in books, mags or reference material you may have please!