The Cars of Auf Wiedersehen Pet

Ian_Fearn

Beesthorpe Hall in Nottinghamshire if memory serves correctly

The lads go shopping in one episode for essentials including Beer, Bacon and ingredients for Barry's bread making; They used Asda in West Bridgford for that location, An ex Girlfriend and her mum were extras, think it was filmed in the summer of 1985.

Jimmy Nail was a bloody good actor , no idea why he disappeared from TV , Spender was the last thing I remember him in

TeeVee Land can't cope with more than one famous actor with a regional accent and a novelty hit record, Jimmy was edged out of his job by Robson Green and his shit cover of Unchained Melody.

Although I was too young to remember Auf Wiedersehen Pet first time round as I was born in 83, I've watched the series all the way through more than once over the years. It a great program of it's time and it always makes me smile every time I watch it. My favourite is when OZ thinks he saving Dennis from a beating as he chins Big Baz to the surprise of Ally Fraser. 

I've read Jimmy Nail Biography a few year back after a friend gave it me, I'm not into reading them normally but as we our both fans of the program and Jimmy later work i.e Spender it was a interesting read that I gladly recommend.

It's a shame if none of the cars have survived. I heard that Wayne BMW ended it's days at a German Scrapyard where nobody knew the cars history and was just scrapped, but as mentioned a number plate off it survived as someone had hung it up on a wall. Did they mention anything about Neville Capri in series 2? 

Oh and going slightly off topic but with Jimmy Nail's Spender he did a feature length special in which he drove a K reg Merc 190 instead of his normal Sierra Cosworth. Well a few years back I read online that the Merc was still Taxed + Mot'd!

I can only vaguely remember AWP. I remember it being on telly one evening and the opening credits showing the chap driving the 5-series (sorry can't remember the characters names) and my dad giving me a 'say no to drugs' lecture as the actor had died from drug use. I assume my dad watched it as he was a skilled Bricklayer.

It was repeated about 15-18 years ago and I remember getting quite excited on seeing the mark 4 Zephyr. :mrgreen:

• 1 year later...
On 10/12/2018 at 10:19 PM, Matty said:
On 10/12/2018 at 8:06 PM, cms206 said:

Jimmy Nail and I were both born on March 16th.

Pointless factoid.

Wife was born on march 17th. Tenuous link

!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I’m also in the 16th of March club.  

Ive heard that jimmy nail gained a reputation for being hard to work with on some series & that might have limited his work opportunities.

On 10/7/2018 at 10:02 PM, cort16 said:

All I remember about Spender was he had a Cossie

i524850.jpg

I remember when they drove past Billingham , Spender looked out of the window with that look and said "shut the window man before we catch cancer"

I don't know why he disappeared from TV but that was around the time he started releasing CDs

On 2/9/2020 at 2:13 PM, dc2100k said:

K95BRX FORD SIERRA

Check another vehicle

Colour Grey

Fuel type Petrol

Date registered 14 August 1992

First MOT due Unknown

So the Spender Sierra didn't even make it to 3 years old...

I don't think it registers MOTs before 2005 so it might've been on the road until 2004 then scrapped before the new system kicked in

2 hours ago, Wack said:

I don't think it registers MOTs before 2005 so it might've been on the road until 2004 then scrapped before the new system kicked in

I know you can't get detailed MOT history before 2006 but I've seen some examples of the last MOT due in the 1980's showing on the system.