Saab C900 - Off to the new owner

The Moog

I'm not spiritual or anything but I just knew I was going to win the Halloween roffle.  I just had this feeling deep in my bones.  Spookily I bought the ticket while browsing Autoshite waiting to board a plane, and then the in-flight movie was about 2 guys who go on a boozy road trip in a Saab 900 and drive it into a tree!  I'm sure they ate pies at some point in that movie fulfilling the prophecy.

These roffles are great.  Brings a bit of excitement to the week, and if you win you get to enjoy a car you wouldn't normally buy; plus the pleasure of a random road trip; plus a zany story to tell to non-car people that'll leave them thinking you're just bonkers.  All for a tenner!

P.S. Local ale plus mix of vegetarian and meat pies please.  Thanks a million. Alan

Pies and beers purchased.

Sadly due to our stupid Sunday trading laws by I could only acquire Clayton park bakery pies. A selection is packed and ready to go tomorrow.

Pdi carried out tonight ensuring that a) it started B) it was dry inside c) stereo front was dug out. All good and ready to go.

The Swedish beast will be traversing the M6 tomorrow so give it a wave if you see it past.

The Swedish beast will be traversing the M6 tomorrow so give it a wave if you see it past.

So far I've had a wave from someone in a new people carrier thing (maybe a Renault or a Vauxhall or summat, who knows), and I/the SAAB got a big wave, beep and thumbs up from a guy in an Aston Martin Vantage. No one on here I'm guessing.

Some pleasing symmetry happened.

post-13750-0-11341200-1541421349_thumb.jpg

The car has insisted we stop for a pastry top up.

post-13750-0-40943100-1541421380_thumb.jpg

Anyone know what this button does?

post-13750-0-55272100-1541421418_thumb.jpg

Unsurprisingly the SAAB performed faultlessly all the way down to it's new home.

Many thanks to Alan_Green for the hospitality and especially for letting me have my first ever shot of an electrical motor car. It was mega. My internal combustion world has been properly turned upside down. It's been a long time since I've driven something with so much acceleration that I've felt queasy.

Funnily enough I also got a lift in an electric car today, after delivering a car in the opposite direction, and I have another Saab 900 in Basingstoke.

Odd.

And you've owned many of my previous cars, and driven others. It is strange having so much in common with someone I've never met.

I'd love a bez in l1's Leaf. I doubt it's got the gut wrenching shove of the i3 I besmirched earlier this evening though. I definitely want one when I grow up.

Took delivery of this (plus pies & ale) last night courtesy of Bucketeer and immediately jumped in it and headed to an appointment near Wembley.  It's awesome.  I've never owned a Saab or Volvo before (despite being an Ikea fan) but right away I can see the long term appeal.  It really has that "only-car-you'll-ever-need" feel.  And insurance on this for my soon to be 17 year old daughter is only £576, so I think it's going to be her first car, and she's chuffed to bits with this idea and already refers to it as "her car".

• Thank you to super nice guy Bucketeer for driving it down.
  • Thank you to The Moog for running the roffle.
  • Thank you to everyone else who bought a ticket.  Keep buying. It'll be you next time.
  • Thank you to Air Rwanda for having decent wifi at Kigali airport allowing me to buy a ticket.
  • Thank you to that American lady who owed me money and paid me back by Paypal, so I happened to have Paypal credit.
  • Thank you to that moustachioed, deerstalker-wearing, Colonel Mustard type gentleman who left a lasting impression looking super-cool driving around the Lochee area of Dundee in a shiny red one of these circa 1991.

post-18080-0-50673300-1541520725_thumb.jpg

She's looking good!

Let me know if you'd like a digital copy of the history file.

On a cold start just remember the cold start injector doesn't work. The result of this is that she will either stumble or stall after a few seconds before sorting herself out. Don't go near the throttle when that happens or she will most likely backfire, stall and flood. I just made a point of always letting her idle for thirty seconds or so before setting off when cold.

Fiddling with the injection system was deemed more faff than living with this absolutely livable with and predictable quirk, especially as it's been otherwise faultless.

Hope she will serve your family well.

You love them or hate them...I don't think there's really middle ground.

Stylistically speaking they break virtually every rule in the book, yet somehow manage to wind up being one of the classiest looking motors out there.

The little chin spoiler should never have been optional though, the front end looks unfinished without it.

Try having someone follow you driving it - I never realised until I went to collect the Skoda and my husband followed me home, but it looks downright menacing in the mirror.

We always referred to this car as The Ambassador.  It fit the character, and the colour is Embassy Blue...so it stuck.  Don't know if there's any interest in maintaining the name we'd used.

They drive as individually as they look too.  Difficult to put a finger on, but they're not *like* anything else.

• 3 months later...

Heroic 1989 Saab 900 Triumphant in London Endurance Trial

For the benefit of the 25th century Autoshite Time Team, I'd like to enter formally into our permanent record the flawless performance of this Saab 900 over the 5-day period between 1PM on 17/02/2019 and 1AM on 22/02/2019.

I had a drive-a-thon planned for this week for work, but then my modern failed it's MOT because of a microscopic knick out of a tyre sidewall (and it's taken ages for Tyre Leader to deliver a replacement) so I pressed the roffle Saab into hard service suddenly and unexpectedly. 

I've really hammered it over the last 5 days. 250 miles a day...1,250 miles in total...4 tanks of petrol...12 hrs a day behind the wheel. Mostly in start-stop 5 MPH London traffic, with a bit of motorway driving at either end. It's criss-crossed the (English) capital over and over again and must've traversed Tower Bridge 8 times alone. It's been absolutely defectless* and a joy to drive.  Big sunroof open...heater aimed at my toes...all my old 90's CDs dusted off and lined up to play one by one.  Big grin on my face enjoying the 8 valve/torque converter combo wafty sensations. 

So, 3 cheers for the roffle Saab. 3 cheers for NJGLeeds for repairing the head gasket so well. 3 Cheers for Zelandeth and The Moog for saving this fabulous machine. I can't even see a hint of a problem on the horizon. I really don't see why it won't be cruising around for another 30 years.  Might get the local car wash guys to T-Cut, polish, and valet it as a reward.

*OK, so the battery shook loose after going over the 37,000th speed bump, but that's all and it'll be a quick fix. 

post-18080-0-58916400-1550839076_thumb.jpg

Oh, I did love this car and our time together was all too short.

One that I regret letting get away, so as to speak, but you can’t keep them all as the Mrs tells me quite often.

Glad that it’s serving you well :-)

Exactly what he said!

Didn't have it anywhere near long enough...despite being the car I've had the second longest of any I've owned at five years.

She really is a master of making miles just vanish with the absolute minimum of stress.  I've driven quite a few Saabs in a fair variety of specs, and honestly the 8v auto is my favourite I think...and that one is probably the best driving one I've known.

Only thing I miss compared to the Turbo?  The exhaust burble at idle...the 900 Turbo gets major points for that noise.