Sunburst yellow Mercedes SLK 230K

Jim Bell

In completely unrelated news, I have to drive to the toon from the south on December 13th.  December 13th is my birthday and I'll be looking for a gift for myself.

It will mean that I can deliver any vehicle of your choosing to Newcastle from the posh part of England.  However, it will also mean that I will then require a vehicle to drive home in.  

Did i mention that the car must be yellow?

Coolio.  Glad we could clear that up.

In completely unrelated news, I have to drive to the toon from the south on December 13th.  December 13th is my birthday and I'll be looking for a gift for myself.

It will mean that I can deliver any vehicle of your choosing to Newcastle from the posh part of England.  However, it will also mean that I will then require a vehicle to drive home in.  

Coolio.  Glad we could clear that up.

Anything in mind?

In completely unrelated news, I have to drive to the toon from the south on December 13th. December 13th is my birthday and I'll be looking for a gift for myself.

It will mean that I can deliver any vehicle of your choosing to Newcastle from the posh part of England. However, it will also mean that I will then require a vehicle to drive home in.

Coolio. Glad we could clear that up.

It's a long time till December man. Come and have a shot of it if you like. You're quite welcome to borrow it to run around in while you're up here. Bring a bag of money in case you really really like it.

• 1 month later...

So what's been going on with the SLK then?

I've been rectifying small imperfections mostly.

Noticed a very small crack in the driver's side rear light.

post-5435-0-42477100-1543227311_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-55184100-1543227376_thumb.jpg

This will not do.

Ordered a better uncracked cluster from an owner's club fella.

post-5435-0-45343200-1543227429_thumb.jpg

Not fitted yet, it's hardly urgent.

Also set to filling an annoying hole.

One peg button stopper cap thing was missing from the sill protector seen here.

Peeping yellow.

post-5435-0-67053700-1543227529_thumb.jpg

Another helpful Owners Club lad was kind enough to donate a few spares via the post. Wharra good egg.

post-5435-0-21691200-1543227608_thumb.jpg

That's better.

Thank you random Merc santa.

post-5435-0-87070900-1543228522_thumb.jpg

Now it's on to POWER GAINS.

Some helpful German chaps produce these oversleeves for the crank pulley. Science says that upping the circumstance of the crank pulley will in turn spin the supercharger faster and produce power gains. They seem to be well enough regarded in the BENZLYF world and spinning the water pump etc faster doesn't seem to have any long term negative effects.

Lots of loctite going on the grub screws!

It's ghetto engineering but a lot easier than taking the whole blower off to press a smaller supercharger pulley on.

Crank extender and longer belt.

Gains coming today.

post-5435-0-33594300-1543228234_thumb.jpg

Dropped the car off to have the non functioning reversing lights investigated.

Not here though.

post-5435-0-51305300-1543228323_thumb.jpg

I'm not Richard Branson.

Dropped off at tame local garage just as the sun was doing its first peeps of the day.

post-5435-0-26730000-1543228394_thumb.jpeg

Still loving it.

Did Mercedes just not bother converting the shifters from LHD on the these? Seems odd that by design the shifter obscures your view of what gear you're in.

post-5435-0-10962400-1543228668_thumb.jpg

I'd forgotten that Rich had put uprated brakes on the bus. The grooved ebc disks and yellow stuff pads are pretty mint still!

post-5435-0-42897500-1543228839_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-25176900-1543228885_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-64850600-1543228910_thumb.jpg

Stopping power is 10/10.

Comparison power runs to come when the grounds dry!

Are you going to keep it long enough for that ?

You know my form man, but I do at l least intend to hold on to this one a while. I'm even going to pop one of my Dad's old privet plates on it. I'm not a fan of private plates generally and would never spend money on one, but I inherited a couple when Pops passed away so I'd like to see one of those out in the fresh air for centre mental reasons.

They were still hiding the gear indicator behind the gear selector in 2007.

Is it worth joining the owners' club then? I haven't been in a club since my Citroën bothering days. A source of parts and expertise would be nice but I bet there's a forum for that?

I only joined as I needed a membership number to qualify for a specific club related classic insurance policy. £50 membership fee, £400 insurance saving.

There's a lot of good knowledge in the club and a lot of detailed HOW TO guides available through the portal. Not sure it's worth £50 if you're not seeing the savings back sometime soon though!

Hello shiny peeper.

post-5435-0-30916400-1543255130_thumb.jpg

Closer look.

post-5435-0-00569400-1543255164_thumb.jpg

It's a good snug fit and needed tapped on. Loctite on the grub screws, fitted, tightened, run, retightened. It's not going anywhere now.

Supercharger noise is more apparent which I find more appealing. Pep seems to be up and speed improved but that may just be psychosomaticals. It's pissing down here so I can't get a decent fair run in to compare with the earlier ones. Soon as it dries up , I'll be doing it for science.

Reversing lights still off. Pretty sure it's the switch in the shifter so will hunt a full replacement unit.

These have real potential to become classics, I reckon. Great to see you titt(ivat)ing with this one - I think the private plate is a good call as well. At least if you feel bored with it at some point, you won't make any rash decisions about selling it quickly, as the plate transfer will likely slow proceedings down.

G8R work.