Japanese technology Malaysian style niggle fixing

bub2006

Oh no! Came to it this morning and no start. No clicks or slow cranking no lights dimming etc so I could eliminate the flat battery option. Oddly though the oil pressure light came on with ignition which it never had before,oil light and battery light need looking at. Anyway,noticed the gear selector wasn't illuminated like it was last night either. Dropped it into N and it fired up. Since then it's started in P and the oil and battery light have gone away again probably never to be seen! Inhibition switch maybe sticking. Further investigation to proceed when it gets a bit lighter outside.

Right then. Quick update. Think the inhibition switch had a hissy fit but I can't work out how to remove the whole gator to check the bulb. Dashboard has been apart. Found a broken track to the oil pressure light so have fixed that. The battery light is completely inoperative. No power getting to the bulb. Had multimeter on the battery and it's at 13.7 at idle up to 14.3 at approximately 2k rpm. It's charging so I'm not in a rush to fix it.

My old 87 Lancer wouldn't start in park, the switch is in the engine bay near the battery but i could never work it out how to remove. Never had an issue with the proton though. If you want to remove the centre console, there is a thin plastic strip in front of the lever, lift that off and it reveals two screws. The plastic hand recess under the handbrake just lifts out revealing another screw and ashtray hides another. Then it all lifts out and auto lever is then accessible.

It does what it says really. No thrills. Just comfortable seats,heater and a tin box!

Indeed. It is practical transport and that's exactly what it was intended to be.

And it's beige inside and outside.

Beige Lives Matter!

Well we was meant to be moving into a bungalow this week but it's been pushed back. I must say the proton gets noticed. I've seen Sid and Doris eyeing it up and one old boy collared me In town and said he used to have an early one and nice to see another because he couldn't remember last time he seen 1!

My mate's Grandad had the successor to this.  The first time I went in it, I'd never been in a Proton and I was ready to be snobbish.

It was pretty good.  Comfortable leather seats that had worn well and a decent ride.  I've reconsidered them in the years hence.  It didn't help my perception when the old Lada garage my Dad used to laugh at every time we drove past (literally 300 yards from my front door as a kid) turned into a Proton garage - which my Dad laughed at, too.  In retrospect, he got it wrong.