2002 Merc c270 cdi estate - rough, leggy, £285

skattrd

As mentioned elsewhere ... 

MOT Jan 2019

Tax - SORN + not insured

Mileage 251k

Local breaker type place offering £285.so available for the same on here

c270 cdi avantgarde auto estate, MOT until Jan, pretty much everything works, but various rattles and squeaks. It's got 250k on it, quite rusty (one hole, jacking point) tailgate rusty, rear plate held on with gaffer tape,I ripped off the surround when I locked the keys in the boot.

The n/s wing mirror is broken, but not completely, it's held in place with gaffer tape, but the mirror part still moves on the motor and the indicator in it works, it doesn't fold though.

Aircon works, all windows work, central locking works, cruise control works, no issues with autobox. The tyres are legal matching Michelin cross-climate.

I've just remembered something that doesn't work, the interior door handle on the osr door doesn't work, it's loose, so probably the cable is broken or disconnected.

It's been unused for 2 months, it's currently SORN and not insured. 

I've just been and swapped it back on to it's original wheels, and it started first turn of the key. I did 40k in it last year, and it averaged 43mpg, fuelly in sig.

Since I've had it I've replaced, water-pump, engine mounts, gearbox oil, discs, pads and other stuff. It looks like crap, but has been reliable for me. The advisories on the last MOT were fixed the same day.

It's rusty, dirty and makes noises, I'll leave the stereo in to hide some of the noises

I like the w203 and prefer the avantgarde spec, which has slightly lower suspension than classic/elegance and it handles a little nicer. There's not many options on this, the leather(ish) isn't ripped, but drivers seat padding a bit flat, a/c is cold, but would be colder with a regas.. The factory blue tint windows are good and do reflect heat, this was definitely cooler than my other w203 with std glass.

The 5-pot engine is gr9, pulls well and sounds good at full chat. There are no issues with the engine, it uses no oil between changes and since the water-pump was replaced it loses no coolant. It's a much nicer motor than the 4-pot in the c220, and does similar mpg. The c220 koop I replaced it with was surprisingly more to insure than this as well.

There's currently just under quarter of a tank of diesel in it and the range-ometer says that'll do 120 miles

Location Lincs, near Bourne.

post-4715-0-02630200-1538042327_thumb.jpg

post-4715-0-85247300-1538042371_thumb.jpg

post-4715-0-38287200-1538042395_thumb.jpg

post-4715-0-22338000-1538042417_thumb.jpg

post-4715-0-82836700-1538042450_thumb.jpg

post-4715-0-44094600-1538042478_thumb.jpg

post-4715-0-42983700-1538042507_thumb.jpg

post-4715-0-49474600-1538042537_thumb.jpg

post-4715-0-83889000-1538046344_thumb.jpg

post-4715-0-92569600-1538046396_thumb.jpg

post-4715-0-59357400-1538046429_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys, free* motoring was why I thought I'd stick it up on here, run it until something breaks or the MOT is due and then it'll scrap for what it cost.

The car has a very good MOT history despite how it currently looks. 

The underneath isn't rusty. The hole where the jacking point is, is because a rubber jacking mount cover is missing and someone (me) jacked the car up on the metal where it should have been. If you wanted to hide the hole, an £8 rubber jacking point cover should do that. 

I really like the w203, ignore the rust, they drive nicely and they're a great mile muncher, I was doing 150 miles a day in this.

I replaced this with a low mileage 203 koop (4-pot, not as a nice) and have a yearning for c32 now.

All it needs is a good scrub, rub down the rusty areas and paint over with silver Hammerite and job done. Day’s work and you would have a presentable very cheap Merc estate worth double the asking price.

Yeah but double 285 quid ? For 2 days effort (getting it would take the other day) plus train costs and paint and brushes.

I reckon the hourly rate will be a bit meh.

Yeah but double 285 quid ? For 2 days effort (getting it would take the other day) plus train costs and paint and brushes.

I reckon the hourly rate will be a bit meh.

A mate paid a grand for one that's not a million times better. It's not as ugly, but it's bubbly. 

Tidy it up, £795.b They can always bid you down and these are great workhorses. 

Always wondered, what’s the reason this era of Mercs rusted so badly? You see early noughties Sprinter vans with doors like half eaten biscuits...

I *think* it was their first proper foray into water based paints. 2003 onwards cars were part galvanised.

Again it seems its rarely structural. You could eat your dinner off the bottom of mine but there are plenty of blisters.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Mot test for my 9-5 due Monday, could be persuaded depending on outcome.

Buying a rusty jalopy of this nature is sure to ease the blow for the wife of me parting up a dying Aero on the drive.

Nothing says I love you like waving to the wife as you set off for work and leave half of your gaffer taped tailgate on the drive...

I *think* it was their first proper foray into water based paints. 2003 onwards cars were part galvanised.

Again it seems its rarely structural. You could eat your dinner off the bottom of mine but there are plenty of blisters.

There was bacteria in the tank they used for the new paints, which caused defects.  So I read once.

As above. But I wouldnt use hammerite, a couple of tins of the correct silver mix won't be too dear.

Disagree.

Hammerite will keep the rust at bay for a long time. If you spray over rusty metal with an aerosol then the rust will come through in a matter of days.

Disagree.

Hammerite will keep the rust at bay for a long time. If you spray over rusty metal with an aerosol then the rust will come through in a matter of days.

I was going more for the prep then paint option.

Would a lick of hammerite keep my arches from getting any worse over winter then? There's just the tiniest bit of rust on mine

I've just bought a 2005 E46 320d Estate for £290 as a winter shitheap. With this stuff it's basic fixes to stop it from grenading prematurely and from then on in, fix it when it breaks. There is NO POINT in spending more than 50 quid  - oil and filter, a part worn if needed and fuck the rust. 

I've just bought a 2005 E46 320d Estate for £290 as a winter shitheap. With this stuff it's basic fixes to stop it from grenading prematurely and from then on in, fix it when it breaks. There is NO POINT in spending more than 50 quid - oil and filter, a part worn if needed and fuck the rust.

Struth thats cheap!

If I hadn't just bought the 75 I'd be well into this.  I do love a 5-pot engine.  Even as it is I'm hoping someone buys it soon so I don't end up doing something daft like suggesting a p/x against the 205...

I wouldn't say no to that mate, you'd have to come over here though, as this isn't insured for me.