Best car in the world?

The Reverend Bluejeans

What is a car? What qualities given your working definition would make it “the best”?

I’m going to be a bit disingenuous and particularly because of where we are, say its the least expensive, most fault free car that’s the cheapest to run for the longest period of time. It cannot be either too large or too small and be an all rounder. We all know that means boring. But it might just be the best car. Maybe a late 90s Toyota avenisis?

Corolla meets that in my view. I see so many of the things.

Don't know about best, but if it's 'unlimited' budget, . . . . . . . . the Gandini Espada Exotishite.

zAbLMMz.jpg

OcD5Iyt.jpg

"Caution, may contain traces of Fiat.

Not suitable for Fiat or Alfa allergy sufferers due to some ingredients used in the manufacture of this product".

Like an XJ12 but slower (but not much), uglier and noisier - but they were manual only. A 3.3LiA is more like it. Chamonix white, blue leather, black vinyl roof and the 20 spoke factory alloy wheels.

I wouldn't entertain a manual gearbox on my ultimate car. 

I thought the manual on my E3 (admittedly only a lowly 2500) suited it rather well to be honest.  Also far less terrifying to work on than a V12 Jag.  Brakes are a lot better too.

May I choose a Lynx Eventer in dark blue with a manual gearbox? I think they make about £85k. I would also need a team to look after it.

Good call, they are a thing of beauty. Even better than the standard XJS which in their self is a lot better than the overhyped E-type.

I have drooled over a few of the cars already posted, and many, many others. If money was no object, I'd have a barn full, but I wouldn't take a DS decapotable to the DIY shop; I wouldn't use a Mini to drive the family to the South of France, etc etc. But the thread's about the best car in the world, which to me means the one I'd use the most. 

ford-crown-victoria-black-3.jpg

...For me, a CX Prestige - if only they'd fitted a decent engine and not something from a tractor.

Unfortunately the tractor engine was all they had to hand and could afford to fit; it did alright when they turbocharged it. That and the Douvrin 2165cc which later became the budget model.

I probably wouldn't have gone as far as a Prestige - the standard CX is fine by me although, as of this morning, I'd probably prefer it with a manual gearbox!

Money no object? Adam Wests Batmobile.  Not the later ones, they were dull at best.

Something I could actually use?  XJC is a good call, but I'm surprised nobody's said Jensen Interceptor.  However, over either of those I would choose a RWD Cadillac.  I've never driven anything else that imparts the same serenity.  Something like Huggy Bear, for example.  Oh look.....

Unfortunately the tractor engine was all they had to hand and could afford to fit; it did alright when they turbocharged it. That and the Douvrin 2165cc which later became the budget model.

I probably wouldn't have gone as far as a Prestige - the standard CX is fine by me although, as of this morning, I'd probably prefer it with a manual gearbox!

Because AC and buttoned leather.

Early Honda NSX for me, with pop up headlights to make the ladies knickers drop just that fraction quicker.

Modern car? I'd like on of the last Accord coupes from the US, 350bhp and a sweet Honda six speed manual.

Saying that a well sorted V12 XJ-S would be very difficult to walk past.

Anything would qualify for this thread if I didn't own one/had never owned one.

A good Bentley Turbo R with active ride is still a very special thing to drive (and it pains me greatly to say so!) but an expensive and painful route to self-knowledge and development. But, they are really fabulous to drive when they are in fine fettle. Would need a fair bank balance to start with but I can guarantee you wouldn't have it for long!

A Jensen Interceptor drives just like a BIG Capri 3 litre to be honest but makes a pleasant noise and the styling is fan-bloody-tastic!

A series 2 or 3 Capri 3 litre is a very special car, sound great, loads of torque, tail happy in the wet (or dry with a little encouragement!) and a great everyday car (though todays prices are a tad salty so you may want to salt it away and just look at it :)   )

I still think, on balance, a nice Citroen CX is a hard to beat all-rounder. Yes, the engines are noisy and harsh (but the later one that I managed to pinch from a Renault Fuego and persuade to marry up to the Citroen bits was all right) and the wing mirrors and single wiper! What's not to love?