Best car in the world?

The Reverend Bluejeans

What does that mean to you? Not a Montego Vanden Plas please, but your idea of a car that beats everything else hands down. What do you really, really want to own? Money is no object so no mediocrity allowed.

For me it's not a BMW, not in a million years. Yes they're good, but...........same with Mercs. They made a few nice cars when they weren't making taxis and trucks. Not a Rolls Royce - superbly finished and made but you'd not want to hustle an old Shadow along if you were in a 100 mph hurry. A well sorted S1 Corniche is up there though.

For me it's this in twelve cylinder form; undoubtedly the most beautiful car Jaguar ever made (stuff your E Types) and possibly by anyone else either. Forget your BMW E9 and E24, your Merc SLC. They're not up to the task. 

Badly made and unreliable when new, a fully rebuilt and rustproofed XJ-C 5.3 in Green sand, Lilac or Juniper green (as seen here) is, to me, the best way of finishing off the earth's resources. I reckon £100'000 should cover it - money well spent IMO.

Behold:   

post-3069-0-31498600-1537813890_thumb.jpg

This month’s all time favourite best car of evah for me would be a throughly sorted and reliable Citroen SM, in that bronze colour.

Next month’s will be something different, mind.

Not a bad shout on the XJ12C, mind.

Whoa, good shout.

For me, a CX Prestige - if only they'd fitted a decent engine and not something from a tractor.

Our bargain of the century Volvo V70 has been nothing but a pleasure to clean up and fix up. Very comfy too and has a nice, smooth engine. We'll even ignore the peeling bonnet because of how good the car's been to us.

Brother's waft-o-matic Camry V6 is up there too.

I still love the XJ-C and the XJ-S. Perhaps one day I'll own one. Probably not.

I still want my taste of the Eastern bloc so perhaps a Tatra or something a bit more common man..... Polonez.

an E3 3.0 SI

Like an XJ12 but slower (but not much), uglier and noisier - but they were manual only. A 3.3LiA is more like it. Chamonix white, blue leather, black vinyl roof and the 20 spoke factory alloy wheels.

I wouldn't entertain a manual gearbox on my ultimate car. 

Our bargain of the century Volvo V70 has been nothing but a pleasure to clean up and fix up. Very comfy too and has a nice, smooth engine. We'll even ignore the peeling bonnet because of how good the car's been to us.

Brother's waft-o-matic Camry V6 is up there too.

I still love the XJ-C and the XJ-S. Perhaps one day I'll own one. Probably not.

I still want my taste of the Eastern bloc so perhaps a Tatra or something a bit more common man..... Polonez.

Money is no object. Forget bargains or the fact we can't afford what we want (I can't) - go for it!

Early Range for me too... I have a 1971 example tucked away for when I'm wealthy enough to restore it!

My reasons for best car?  It was the first 7-day a week car.  You can take the whole family out in style.  Next day, you can fill the back up with garden waste and go to the tip.  It will storm along the motorway in comfort.  It'll drive over a ploughed field.

And all the time, looking appropriate and stylish in every situation.

Excellent design from day one.  Often copied, but original is best :)

Early Range for me too... I have a 1971 example tucked away for when I'm wealthy enough to restore it!

My reasons for best car?  It was the first 7-day a week car.  You can take the whole family out in style.  Next day, you can fill the back up with garden waste and go to the tip.  It will storm along the motorway in comfort.  It'll drive over a ploughed field.

And all the time, looking appropriate and stylish in every situation.

Excellent design from day one.  Often copied, but original is best :)

An early steel wheel 2 door in a suitably grim colour, but immaculate. They are lovely, you're right. BL at its best.

Mark II 3000 S in Signal orange with Cadiz trim. Just like the one in the 1977 Ford Cars brochure.

I certainly wouldn’t kick it out of bed but for me it has to be the professionals spec 3.0s in Tibetan gold, coincidentally (or not) the same colour as my 2.0GL which was my first car. A signal yellow X pack would be a close second. But thinking about it I would struggle to turn down a genuine GT40. I guess it would come down to everyday car or fun car. Don’t think the GT would be much cop at Aldi.

Not exotica by any means.  My personal opinion for the best car ever made is -

MGMetro-1.jpg

Yep - the Metro was a missed opportunity for the British car industry to have become great again in my opinion.  Loads were sold so they started to build them poorly.  Strange philosophy but very historically British.

If I had to go and buy a new car today (I wouldn't but if I had to) -

2017-Maserati-Quattroporte-GTS-Curved-Ro

A small Maserati, obviously.

Overall - best car ever that I really, really, really would like?

A Stout Scarab

Stout-Scarab.jpg

That's me finished on this topic.

What is a car? What qualities given your working definition would make it “the best”?

I’m going to be a bit disingenuous and particularly because of where we are, say its the least expensive, most fault free car that’s the cheapest to run for the longest period of time. It cannot be either too large or too small and be an all rounder. We all know that means boring. But it might just be the best car. Maybe a late 90s Toyota avenisis?

EDIT- whoops misread the OP. Nothing mediocre. OK so please can I have THE lambo muira from the opening scene of the Italian job, please. They don’t even function that well as cars.

Plus those roads. Plus that music and a slim panatella. Cheers.