Jaaaaaaaaaaag......For Sale £17 a ticket, two for £30 - £900 Sale - 30 tickets sold

Guest Hooli

I've just flicked through the handbook & found how to set the alarm without interior sensors in case I get another dog, I've also found out it has two trip meters. The latter is a decadence I've previously only enjoyed on a Japanese motorcycle. As I saw no mention of a service light in the book I might use trip B to record mileages between oil changes.

Don't know if the X308 is different from the X300, but on the one I had briefly I disconnected the siren to disable the alarm. The connector was at the front by the washer bottle.

Alarm on it was working fine but I have zero trust for 20+ year old car alarms. They either go off randomly and annoy the neighbours or the car gets broken into and everyone ignores the alarm anyway!

One press on the lock button on the fob locks the car and sets the alarm, two presses activates the deadlocks. This is confirmed via a single confirmation beep from the siren.

Correct, also the interior & tilt sensors aren't active until deadlocked. Hence my dog comment.

Oh one other piece of entertainment* from earlier.

Stood at Bub's place with this running & he mentioned it seemed smooth enough to stand a coin on. This was obviously tried with the 20p found in the fag lighter, he was correct & a 20p will stand upright on the engine when it's idling. Then once you relax & move your hand well away from it the coin topples & falls into the Vee never to be seen again. I take this as a harmless* demonstration of how these cars eat money.

I've been a'googling & a'googling I have been.

It seems the most common A/C leak on these is the condenser for which a replacement can be sourced for a smidge under £100 delivered. Internet logic (& the offical Jag workshop manual downloaded from another lesser forum) say to change the dryer at the same time, failure to do so means the aircon warms up after it's been in use for a while. Dryers seem to be about £25.

So for about £175 including leak test & regas I should be able to solve the issue. Provided of course that when I get a leak test done the issue is as I suspect.

Is this any use to you, Hooli?

https://hijobs.net/job/88993/it-support-officer

Thanks, that's the job I got in Oban but couldn't take due to housing costs. So I know I could get that as it's the same team on a different base.

I've got a few more local things going on at the moment & not quite sure how Scotland will pan out long term so I'll leave it for now. Looks ideal for Supernaut though, the pair who did the interviews last time seemed decent & should be ok to work for.

Right back to the Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggg.

I had a fiddle with a few bits tonight, the throttle body is now clean so it should pick up better on light throttle. I was surprised how smoll the TB was for this size engine, the TB on my old XJ40 3.2 must have been nearly twice the diameter!

post-20217-0-34864700-1537899125_thumb.jpg

I discovered this chap guarding the wiper motor, so left him to it. The wiper motor hasn't been stolen so he's doing a good job right?

post-20217-0-19643600-1537899174_thumb.jpg

I had a quick look at the wobbly headlight I noticed when I collected it. Looks like an adjusting screw bracket has snapped off the back of the light, Araldite or similar should solve that. Then I had a chuckle at how the light next to it is retained.

post-20217-0-10625500-1537899510_thumb.jpg

Finally I refitted the CD changer to see what'd happen, the answer is the headunit only flickers & won't power up if the CD changer is plugged in. A bit more investigation has proved there is no 12v perm live to the CD changer, as it's powered off the same fuse as the non-functional reversing sensors I suspect a common fault. What I think happens is due to the lack of the perm live the CD changer is trying to draw all it's power from the headunit & that's tripping out to protect itself from an overload.

I shall have to investigate the fusebox in the boot more closely to sort this problem out. At least it's an easy one to get too, unlike the fuseboxes in both rear and both front footwells (if I've read the book right, I've already found the rear ones but not looked for the fronts yet) I think there is another under the bonnet too. This car has many many many wires....

I did a selftest on the ACC too, the only error is code 23. That's a pressure sensor fault, which is expected with no gas in the system. So once I fix the leak I expect the AC to work fine.

None of this is a surprise by the way, richardthestag had told me about all of these except the headlight & the spider. I found the headlight before I paid up & it'd just passed an MOT oddly.

Plus it's winter now so you can sack off the air con fixing until next year!

It's good for demisting though & if I plod though working on it when I get chance then it'll be ready for spring. If it is the condenser as suspected that's a rad out job to get to it so I'd rather do that before it's snowing.

Liking the look of the Jag! Only experience of the 4.0 V8 I have had was test driving a XK8. Seemed to have plenty of shove. The way the headlights are held in on X300/X308 is quite shonky. They literally just push onto some plastic ball joints, more often or not those plastic joints shatter when someone attempts to remove/replace a light.

That fitting method would make sense from what I saw at a glance. I think the socket part of the joint has stayed on the adjuster rod when the light was pulled out. I assume the lights come out to change bulbs? so I'll have to allow for that when I fix it.

I agree it does go rather well for a mobile armchair, should be even better after I service the brakes. I'm pretty sure they are dragging a bit from lack of use.

I don't think the light itself has to come out to change bulbs (H1 bulbs in all four units by the way). Some complain of poor light performance in these and opt to jank the lights off and wash them to get the crud out. I did this once successfully but it's risky business with those fragile clips. If you do need to take a headlight unit out use some lubrication and a very long screwdriver to carefully lever the unit out. I think X308s have slightly better projectors than X300s. To be fair though my current X300 has quite good lights for what it is.... Lucas.... shiver.

I've not tried these at night yet but I'm hoping they are good. My old XJ40 sport had four round lights & they were the best headlights I've owned on a car.

Don't know if the X308 is different from the X300, but on the one I had briefly I disconnected the siren to disable the alarm. The connector was at the front by the washer bottle.

Alarm on it was working fine but I have zero trust for 20+ year old car alarms. They either go off randomly and annoy the neighbours or the car gets broken into and everyone ignores the alarm anyway!

Or on the omega spontaneously combusts.

One is required to Woolard a new car old bean, it's the done thing don'tcha know? Rest assured no weight was applied as I'm well aware of British build quality.

Excellent buyage - heartily approved........ 

I once helped a 'friend' (Germany) off to TuV with his then GF's Golf. It was a mess - and I had already suggested just getting it scrapped but no, it was a great car and she wanted it done, no matter the cost etc.... until we pulled into the TuV. Doc's checked - OK

Fill in this paperwork please German dude.... 

no prob's bud - I shall do ti here on the car and rest my foot on the crash absorption frontal area coverage...... .

CRASH

Bumper on floor - loaded into boot and TuV guy told us to just leave as officially the test hadn't started yet - so we were allowed* to drive it home....... 

I have restrained myself from Jag purschasing for the last 5yrs - until I find a decent XJR....... oooooh boy!

It's good for demisting though & if I plod though working on it when I get chance then it'll be ready for spring. If it is the condenser as suspected that's a rad out job to get to it so I'd rather do that before it's snowing.

IIRC has a heated screen button and also the tinsey lines on the screen. does it work? 

Sorry I don't know because i never got to drive it on a frosty day

It lights up, I'll let you know if it works once it's frosty up here.

I've made some progress this evening. I pulled the head unit and reseated the cd changer cable. It felt like it was in ok but obviously not. I still can't play cds but it's not quite as broken as before....c4ac16a48a95e14173297c7822f9b9d4.jpg

Well I didn't get any further fixing it but I think I've found a physically broken component on the circuit board. Anyone here able to say what the thing with three legs and apparently broken black plastic is? It's just above where it says 'XL501' on the board. 740c9f407d446144938022958e8c9600.jpg