Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Jaaaaaaaaaaag......100 Gallons of dinosaurs

Project

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#151 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,311 posts
  • 176 thanks
  • LocationThe next petrol station

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:38 PM

Minor update I manually checked the OMGMPGS tonight. The trip computer is pessimistic if anything. It was saying 20.4 and manually working it out gives 20.48.
That's after a week of short trips to work, two days of stop start traffic to Leeds n back and the run over to Glossop tonight. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Gearbox has changed its noise too. The chatter is now more of a groan. It's a very commuicative drive lol
  • Squire_Dawson likes this

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was my intention.

#152 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,311 posts
  • 176 thanks

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:47 PM

Oh and just because

1dbbb743a2c121962154498351f37274.jpg

• richardthestag, beko1987, Conrad D. Conelrad and 4 others like this

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was my intention.

#153 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,311 posts
  • 176 thanks

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:30 AM

Unfortunately without getting out in the cold & sitting in the back I couldn't get a wide enough angle to include all the pretty lit up switches on the door too. But at least that hides the fact I've still not replaced the bulb that should illuminate the J-gate.

#154 ONLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 3,171 posts
  • 28 thanks
  • LocationBuckinghamshite and Devonshite

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:45 PM

Unfortunately without getting out in the cold & sitting in the back I couldn't get a wide enough angle to include all the pretty lit up switches on the door too. But at least that hides the fact I've still not replaced the bulb that should illuminate the J-gate.

teh back seat is very comfortable + you can see what I can only assume is the stiletto heel hole in the headlining :)

• DSdriver, Hooli and Broadsword like this

Shitroen C4 GP 2007 1.6HDi - Wife's daily written off, farewell trusty but slightly unpredictable steed

Hyundai i10 2010 newbee - Wife's daily

Pug 307 - son's daily runner Sold to Arthur Foxhake

Range Rover Vogue 1993 - my daily runner

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

Jaguar x308 Sovereign 4 litre - sold to Hooli

Triumph Staaag 1973 - cheaper than a mistress.. just

Range Rover 1972 - ongoing extensive restoration

Range Rover 1972 - complete shed but in line for restoration

Land Rover 1969 SIIa SWB - belongs to Fathathestag but maintained and welded by me

BMW E46 318i touring - sold to hhhugues

VW Polo 2002 1.2l 3 pot bargain for #2 son

Renna Clio Expression+ 16v Barg for #3 son

#155 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,311 posts
  • 176 thanks

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:07 PM

It would be unseemly for a caddish Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag not to have such momentos of such moments.

• richardthestag, eddyramrod and Ohdearme like this

#156 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,311 posts
  • 176 thanks

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:26 PM

I'm still rather surprised by the OMGMPGs this is doing. Since filling up at Glossop it's showing 24.2mpg. Considering I got home with it showing about 21mpg that means commuting to the centre of Leeds in rush hour stop start traffic gives at least 25mpg.

I'd be happy with that from a normal sized petrol lump, let alone this.
  • richardthestag, Squire_Dawson, Broadsword and 1 other like this

#157 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,311 posts
  • 176 thanks

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:53 PM

I had a go at curing this car's boss eyed look today so I can see at night.

First off, once the grill is out it shows how much it needs a new condenser to fix the aircon.

6529891cbc5099069f8b782b2180227a.jpg

Then I freed up the working adjustment screws and glued various bits back together. It should be about right now as when parked in front of the garage the RH lights where about 3" lower from 2ft away...

The sellotape is to hold it all in place while the glue dries, I'll remove it later as the glue is taking ages in these cold temps.

b5a87aea0b8bf12ce068e9ede8d7c7c8.jpg

10581909152090bb2ae87f2806bfa18a.jpg

I also had a go at swapping the CD changer into the other case that isn't damaged but the internal mountings are different so that idea got abandoned.

• Fat_Pirate, richardthestag, Squire_Dawson and 4 others like this

#158 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,311 posts
  • 176 thanks

Posted 24 November 2018 - 03:56 PM

Right the tape is off, the glue worked so no more floppy lights. It even seems to have stuck the plastic trim around the offside lights so that isn't flopping anymore.

When I reversed it off the drive I got a restricted performance and gearbox fault warning on the dash as a reward for fixing it... so I ignored that & let it idle for 10mins before restarting it. That cured the fault, it'll just have been low voltage from having the lights on without the engine running.

• richardthestag, mrbenn, brandersnatch and 1 other like this

#159 ONLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 3,171 posts
  • 28 thanks

Posted 24 November 2018 - 05:34 PM

yep that voltage thing was a pita

needs to have 12.7v resting before starting and with everything switch off.

else christmas tree

still at least it is seasonal. good job with the headlights and trim though

• Hooli and Ohdearme like this

Shitroen C4 GP 2007 1.6HDi - Wife's daily written off, farewell trusty but slightly unpredictable steed

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

Land Rover 1969 SIIa SWB - belongs to Fathathestag but maintained and welded by me

#160 OFFLINE   bangernomics

bangernomics

• Full Members
  • 455 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 25 November 2018 - 05:39 PM

I'm Doncaster but if you ever get to the Powerhouse meets I'm normally there.

It'd be interesting to reset it completely & see what happens if it can be arranged.

Maybe a spring/summer ride over. But if you’re near MCR at any point drop me a ping and I’ll happily plug it in for you.
  • Hooli likes this

#161 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,311 posts
  • 176 thanks

Posted 25 November 2018 - 07:44 PM

Maybe a spring/summer ride over. But if you’re near MCR at any point drop me a ping and I’ll happily plug it in for you.

Thanks, I'll try to remember if I get over that way.

#162 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,311 posts
  • 176 thanks

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:44 PM

Well pretty much dead on 2,000miles in and on the way to a job interview earlier this happened.

20181207_103931 (800 x 450).jpg

Which turns out to be this & reappears when reset

Screenshot_2018-12-07-13-33-40.png

Time for some reading on common faults & causes I guess.

#163 OFFLINE   SRi05

SRi05

• Full Members
  • 568 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:45 PM

Bummer, however turning up to an interview in a jaaaag has surely secured the position
  • oldcars and Ohdearme like this

#164 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 10,099 posts
  • 94 thanks

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:48 PM

Ignore or knock lamp off for test.

#165 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,311 posts
  • 176 thanks

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:49 PM

Bummer, however turning up to an interview in a jaaaag has surely secured the position

Doubtful it was advertised as a networking job so I read up on all the daft things like the 7 layer model etc last night, then I turn up to 100% server questions. I did crap, there is no way I got it.

Ignore or knock lamp off for test.

Behave, apart from it being annoying on the dash it says rich & these drink enough normally!

#166 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,311 posts
  • 176 thanks

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:07 PM

Right I've done my reading...

P0172.JPG

P1000.JPG

P1111.JPG

I'd say I can ignore the last two as they only seem to have appeared because I read the codes too quick after starting the car.

I'll see if the fueling code reappears as well as having asked on a Jag forum if there is a common fault that causes it. I suspect it was a temporary glitch as it also caused a 'reduced performance' warning on the dash that cleared a few mins later & it's driving as normal again. I was creeping uphill in traffic & slowly down slightly, so I wonder if I managed to hold the idle up without providing enough power for the gearbox to 'catch up' with the car & upset it? Being a Jaaaaaaaaag it's bound to get cranky sat in traffic, I know I do.

#167 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 9,846 posts
  • 94 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:30 PM

Have you seen this?
http://www.editinglu...jaguar-xj8.html

He just bent the pins back in for the MAF sensor. Seems easy enough to do.

Edit: I guess these only have a single MAF (i.e. not an intake system for each bank)? If so and considering its one bank, I wouldn't have thought it was the MAF.
  • Hooli and bangernomics like this
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Hooli

#168 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,311 posts
  • 176 thanks

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:33 PM

Nice find cheers I hadn't found that myself. I'll keep it in mind if the fault reoccurs. It was hammering down with rain this morning too which is bound to upset any weak connections.

#169 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 9,846 posts
  • 94 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:39 PM

I would speculate and my suspicion would be on a leaking injector. That's on the basis that most other faults would more likely cause both banks to run rich.

What are the fuel trims like in live view?
  • Hooli and Ohdearme like this
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#170 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 9,846 posts
  • 94 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:41 PM

Of course if its running rich in one cylinder, then good old fashioned checking of the plugs should help in this too.
  • Ohdearme likes this

#171 OFFLINE   oldcars

oldcars

• Full Members
  • 6,339 posts
  • 36 thanks

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:02 PM

I had a P0172 on the Kia. It was the mass air flow meter that was the issue in the end.

#172 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,311 posts
  • 176 thanks

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:07 PM

What are the fuel trims like in live view?

I've not looked tbh. I'll see next time I use it. I agree a lot of those codes should affect both banks so a plug check is an idea.

#173 OFFLINE   beko1987

beko1987

Reliable Renault

• Full Members
  • 14,962 posts
  • 56 thanks
  • LocationThame, Oxon

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:18 PM

Has it fixed itself yet?
2001 Gooner2 Ph1 1.9Dci Expression (His)
2008 orl Vauxhalls r Shit Zafira 1.8 SRI 140 (Hers)

#174 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,311 posts
  • 176 thanks

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:46 PM

Has it fixed itself yet?

I cleared the code & left it ignored on the drive. So far it's not done it again...

• richardthestag and Ohdearme like this

#175 ONLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 3,171 posts
  • 28 thanks

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:16 PM

for MoT before last had to replace upper lambda on rh bank. maybe cheapo nasty chocolate was installed, not by me, just saying

• Ohdearme likes this

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

#176 OFFLINE   Broadsword

Broadsword

• Full Members
  • 495 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:19 PM

Has the fuel filter and sparks plugs been changed recently? Might benefit also from a good blast and quality fuel system cleaner (Liquid Moly is very good I have found, worked well on XK8).

#177 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,311 posts
  • 176 thanks

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:25 PM

for MoT before last had to replace upper lambda on rh bank. maybe cheapo nasty chocolate was installed, not by me, just saying

Interesting as I think bank one is the RH side as you sit in the car.

Has the fuel filter and sparks plugs been changed recently? Might benefit also from a good blast and quality fuel system cleaner (Liquid Moly is very good I have found, worked well on XK8).

No idea I've not read the history file yet, the man above might know.

It gets some decent trips, the Northern Powerhouse once a month is about an hour each way & it did that this week for example.

#178 OFFLINE   Junkman

Junkman

Renault R16 - aka Parallel Universe

• Full Members
  • 45,615 posts
  • 70 thanks
  • LocationThe State of Confusion

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:54 PM

Just buy an old Renault, ffs.

• Lacquer Peel likes this

1967 Renault 16 Grand Luxe.......................Thanks to Weber now running well on regular gas

1993 Peugeot 405 2.0 auto Saloon..........................................A disappointment for many

1997 Peugeot 405 2.0 auto Estate..............................Is being regularly crashed into things

#179 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,311 posts
  • 176 thanks

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:08 PM

Just buy an old Renault, ffs.

Why would anyone do such an insane thing?

• Junkman likes this

#180 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,311 posts
  • 176 thanks

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:10 PM

Anyway I used the Jaaaaaaaaaaaagg earlier & this fault didn't reoccur. I also found out from a Jag forum that if you do the following it resets the learned fuel trims.

Unplug the MAF

Turn the ignition on for at least 5 secs

Turn ignition off

Plug the MAF back in

So I did that while I was out too & it's now running smoother so seems to have helped.

As a reward for not breaking I've given it it's second wash on my ownership.

• richardthestag, DSdriver, brandersnatch and 4 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users