Private Plate Quandary

outlaw118

Well checking the online system, it only works for types requiring a MOT. Guess you'd need to ring them up to find out how it works on older stuff if you wanted to do that.

Sorry , I’ve done this.

You cannot transfer a number plate, without a valid MOT. I was told, ( by DVLA bod) that it was to stop ringing plates.

Since they no longer have a facility to ‘ inspect’, they are relying on the MOT tester to check the chassis/vin.

One of my 1958 Standards therefore needed an MOT, before I took the plate off

I'm a bit Meh on private plates.

Some look cool, some look wank.

When I used to make plates, some of the ridiculous things people wanted us to do to try and make things read what they wanted and not what they could afford was incredible.

Things like, could we trim the straight bit on a G to make it a bit more like a C...

Can you squash a 1 and 2 to make an "R"

The one I remember most was Can you tilt the top section of a 3 to make it look like a Y.

Eh?

You know, take the top off a 3 and tilt it.

That won't look like a 3 OR a Y..

It will look like a lower case y.

You think?...

Ten minutes of cutting and sticking, chopping up other letters,humming and harring, the customer finally conceded that making a 3 into a Y wasn't going to happen.

So in desperation he turned to the "show plate" fonts to try and find one with a curly 3.

It was these lemonade budget wannabes that put me off private plates.

I also never saw the point of Fred Roger Bloggs (for example) having FB06 FRB on his Fiesta. It means nothing to anyone except a few people that know him...and they know who he is!

An ageless plate on a Jag or Audi makes sense to me.

Not so much on a Merc because they changed style to much between models - you couldn't pass off a 15 year old E class as a newish car.

In case anyone hasn't worked it out, my username is a joke personal plate. Clarkson mentioned it as an aside in a Top Gear show. (and if you still haven't got it, imagine it coming up behind you)

I do have a personal plate which is 60% of my name and would cause heated discussions within the SVM for other reasons, but it isn't on anything at the moment. I've also bought one or two as presents.

I think the car your taking it off needs to be MOTed as well. Not just having logbook. They issue a replacement number for that vehicle at the same time

When did that come in?.2 or 3 years ago I took a number off a car which hadn't had an MOT for at least 5 years.

Any old chod you’ve owned that’s had a “cherished” number earlier in its life, or had its original

Plate pulled off it for similar reasons?

My old 92 Range Rover was originally registered 1 BOB

My old metro vp500 was originally registered A880TEU - the children of the original owner transferred it off and were trying to sell it Abbott perhaps?

An old xj40 was originally registered J11NMS and it stayed on the car throughout its life.

I had a W126 500SEL that had at one time been owned by the Sirte Oil Company (at the time the Libyan state owned oil combine) I discovered this following a V888 and it had details that they’d transferred SOC168 off an old beetle and onto the Benz whilst they had it. That seemingly had spent its life sat in an underground car park; rust free but the chauffeur had polished away the plating on the grille.

When did that come in?.2 or 3 years ago I took a number off a car which hadn't had an MOT for at least 5 years.

The online guide says current MOT or current SORN. Was yours SORN?

I don't know how, but I do know an ex scrap man who had a log book only.

The number is now on his car.

Did some DVLA personnel get fired a long while ago for being friendly towards certain number plate sellers, or have I made that up?

Simples -scrap man, the only people in the world that both the Mafia and the SAS are wary of crossing.

Our distinctive Pimlico Plumbers blue vans locally often have witty numbers: BOG 1, B1 DET, LAV 1, F1 USH, W4TER, DRA 1N and S1 NKS etc. Its a bit of fun and looks ok.

Pimlico Plumbers' policy is to buy up every single plate that spells a word related to their work.

(Seems they're even tapping the market in Spain.)

....I had a W126 500SEL that had at one time been owned by the Sirte Oil Company (at the time the Libyan state owned oil combine) I discovered this following a V888 and it had details that they’d transferred SOC168 off an old beetle and onto the Benz whilst they had it. ...

I wonder who owns S1 RTE now? Or indeed L1 BYA?

I sometimes see E6 YPT and E9 YPT; once also spotted E1LAT locally (presumably an Israeli owner)

It seems to be a fashion now for Iranian-origin drivers in London to have prefix plates ending in 1RAN, so YE5 1RAN used to be on an Audi A6, there's BO5 1RAN, and so on.

My old merc came with one and when it was written off after a crash I took the plate off.  Its been on retention for a while as I have no desire to stick it on anything.  It doesnt even say anything good - P30DEY.  Originally purchased by a Mr O'dey about 15 years back when the car was worth something.  Its worthless and probably worth 10 pounds.

My old merc came with one and when it was written off after a crash I took the plate off.  Its been on retention for a while as I have no desire to stick it on anything.  It doesnt even say anything good - P30DEY.  Originally purchased by a Mr O'dey about 15 years back when the car was worth something.  Its worthless and probably worth 10 pounds.

In that case I’ll give you £20 for it.

How do you go about selling a plate? My 405 has got K31PLC on it, I wonder if that has a value?

You take it off the car it's on and have it put on a retention certificate (costs £80) the car is then assigned it's original plate or an age related plate which all can be done online in 5 minutes, then your new log book arrives within 3 days.

The plate can then be sold for whatever and there are no further fees to pay to assign it to a vehicle, it's really quite simple nowadays.