Renault Clio Mk1 outbox woes: please save it for £100

barrett

'Tis certainly a pretty little thing in a lovely colour.  I don't know the differences between that 3 speed and the later Clio 4 speed computer box but the later one has a rotten reputation for longevity (although a very nice box to use).  We were lucky with our current 1999 Clio auto as it was low mileage, cheap and had had the box overhauled before we bought it.  Have to say I'm amazed it even pulls away in third, especially on a hill!  Any reason why he didn't just throw it back at the vendor the next day?

• 1 month later...

Little update: the vendor has decided they are in no way responsible for selling a car with a dangerous mechanical fault and has refused to offer a refund or even an apology.

It is currently gathering dust in 'broken French car corner' (previous home to several BXs and Xantias) and, honestly, I can't see any attempt at progress being made in diagnosing or repairing the fault. 

Before the scrap man is called, does anyone want it for £100? It may well be an afternoon's fix with an ODB and a s/h ECU off eBay, or it may be a terminal mechanical problem that will render it totally unfixable. Either way, as a blank canvass for a manual conversion or a source of spare parts, this would be hard to beat given the condition of the rest of the car. It's in Horsham, and can be driven away (slowly) and, despite the issue, I have all faith in it completing any journey.

Anyone?

I really do want a Mk1 Clio at some stage. Wife had one as her first ever car so consent already granted. But this is way out of my league and transport would be extremely cost prohibitive.

Good luck. You’ll never know whether it was a stitch up or not. so chalking it up and moving on (as you are) is probably the best option.

Sorry I can’t say anything more! What a pisser.