Crypto tuner free on the blue forum bristol

fordperv

Handy things to have for old chod. Saves arsing about with various meters at different times, just hook one unit up and off you go.

If I attempted to connect the Jag to mine it would just display u r a gimp on the oscilloscope.

One bit of advice from someone who owns two of these things.

Get the best that you can with what your budget allows.

My Crypton Cadet & gas analyser was brilliant at its job, shame its been buggered for years and sat at the back of the garage. I really must get around to fixing it.

I was given a Crypton 600 petrol/diesel analyser a few months ago and even though it's a much newer machine, its a royal pain in the ass for spares and having temper tantrums.

If you're given one for free then go for it. If you are sinking money into one then pick carefully. I had a Cruisemate 440 years ago, they are good units. Just make sure that you have a good set of leads with the unit you select or you can spend ages on ebay looking for spares, replacement leads, filters etc etc. There is a guy on ebay who does spares for Crypton units, not sure about other brands.

They take up a LOT of space....So make sure that you have a use for it.

Also, use it!

Or even if you're not actively using it, run it up for a few hours regularly. Damp and disuse are the worst enemies of these things. They were intended to be used daily - or just left running 24/7 in many cases.

Having the ability to reliably handle dwell angle readings is probably my favourite feature on mine - that and the *huge* analogue multimeter - which is actually handy sometimes when standing on your head in the engine bay unable to balance a handheld one.

The scope is interesting, not a critical bit of kit, but I could see a really clear difference in the before/after trace following cleaning and adjusting the points on the Skoda. With a bit of know how that could probably be really useful.

Plus it looks epic.

Only gripe really is that it's got no exhaust gas analyser (a basic CO meter was an optional add on that used the same inbuilt Panaplax digital display as a readout)...though I do have a little Heathkit analogue CO letter that's useful. A more modern one that can give HC and lambda readings would be nice these days though...as it's the cat equipped cars that usually need the emissions testers! Carb stuff you can set by ear and nose usually.

Edit: I've got about 5 years worth of the accompanying data books too...if anyone needs anything in there looked up, let me know.

Can't find a decent photo of mine just now - here's a random one where it was in the background while I was clearing the garage up.

post-21985-0-55039700-1537396693_thumb.jpg

Oh...other thing I remember about this thing: it's at least five times heavier than seems physically possible.  Take a helper with you to assist you getting it in and out the car.  I did it myself, which was a huge mistake.