A very damp 205 XLD

Microwave

Warning: picture heavy post

Been lurking here for quite a bit, and I assumed there'd be atleast a couple of people here interested in hearing about this old thing.

Back in early February, I decided that I had too much money and that I must immediately spend it on some old shite. Naturally, I headed straight to eBay and roughly within the area I found this being advertised as spares or repairs (conveniently with no interior shots):

jwSGfgI.jpg

bJFDgsw.jpg

YKtm8mn.jpg

So, I jumped in my now-deceased Rover 25 and went to go and see it. I knew from the photos that it was in a right state, but my god was it worse in person (those of you who are more observant may have already noticed the considerable amount of condensation that had built up in the car). The car had been sat since its MOT expired a few years earlier, and in that time it managed to grow a bit of fur. This was what I was greeted with when I first saw it in person:

wCyVhj1.jpg

hmh8hFg.jpg

5ZzzZDr.jpg

1af5S7z.jpg

uPu4SUW.jpg

ovhCrJo.jpg

ji81TrO.jpg

So all in all, it was a little bit dirty, but I still felt the need to save it. £250 later, I was the not-so-proud owner of a Peugeot 205.

The next time I saw it, it had somehow gained a nice big crack in the rear bumper and a nice kink in the boot frame behind said bumper. In their infinite wisdom, the people that I bought it off, who also delivered it to me, managed to roll it into the back of the trailer. I was unfortunately not present when this happened, but you can only care so much when the car looks like this in the first place.

I was pretty adamant at first that I could have this thing MOTd within a week. I had a mechanic look at it on a ramp, and he concluded that all it needed for an MOT was a new silencer, a new fuel pipe to replace a leaky bodged one and a new clip on a radiator hose. Naturally, this "week" turned into about 4 months, when it failed its MOT on corrosion on a small part of the floorpan, the boot floor and the rear of the nearside sill. Unfortunately it was mostly well hidden, so I'd have never really known when I bought it (probably wouldn't have put me off buying it either way).

E243Evo.jpg

glj9Zk8.jpg

HOCpTBo.jpg

0bWz6DN.jpg

I decided that the car was already mostly in too much of a state to warrant proper repairs, so I had the welding done cheaply and quickly. 3 days later, what do you know, it's got an MOT with no advisories for the first time in years!

Now that that was out of the way, I decided it was probably time to crack on with cleaning the thing. After a few hours work, many refills of the wet vac and many trips to the bin with the dust pan and brush, it actually started looking fairly decent (though I should add, these photos were pre wet vac:

Of0dyEC.jpg

VMou8Yl.jpg

4IQAIwb.jpg

7pBCgZy.jpg

Believe it or not, the car actually came with a full service history up to about 2004 ish, it even has the papers for stuff like its first MOT back in 1993. Conveniently, the last bit of paper I have for it is for the timing belt, which I'm fairly sure hadn't been changed since, so that's been this weeks main expenditure. The old one was very slack, and had probably managed to knock the pump timing off a bit, as it never really did sound right whilst it was idling. Whilst refilling with coolant, it was brought to my attention that there was a rotten metal radiator pipe that needed replacing, evident by the fact that the coolant being put into it was finding its way onto the floor. Surprisingly, I was able to get one from a Peugeot main dealer for the next day, with the man on the other end of the phone remarking that he hadn't been asked for 205 parts for years, but he had been asked for this same part twice today, with the other person owning a CTI. With that part mentioned, that brings us up to date with the car.

Unfortunately, I've not even had the pleasure of driving the thing yet. I'm only 18, and I've already spent a lot of money insuring my main car (now on my 3rd in less than a year because I'm a picky sod), so I can't justify the price of over a grand for a years worth of insurance on this thing. I'm hoping that come December time I will be able to get a classic insurance policy on it for cheap, as I will have held my licence for 12 months, which is something they all seem to want before they'll insure me. Nonetheless, I've been thinking about insuring it for a month recently at the cost of 200 or so quid, but I'm currently trying to sell another car and don't have the money to do so, so it will remain sat outside waiting to be driven until then.

As a sidenote, I never did actually find out where it was leaking water in from. The water in the rear footwells had dried up and re-filled a couple of times before I finally cleaned it and I did put some sealant stuff in a few different places to try and sort the problem, but it's been covered up since so I've no idea if it still leaks or not, and I don't really want to wait to find out. The key suspects at the moment are rear light clusters, the sunroof (seems unlikely, as it's getting into the rear footwells) and the rear side & tailgate window seals. More investigation required.

Nonetheless, here are some deceivingly saturated photos of it after a quick (but careful) spray with the jet washer (pls ignore chav tier exhaust):

wI3IvtP.jpg

3IUIrn1.jpg

hTv9nXy.jpg

Nice save on that 205 dizzler.

They really are neat little cars,very frugal too.

Mine does around about 57mpg no matter how it's driven.

I saved mine over 10 years ago from the crushed.

I gave it to a mate,who parked it in a hedge and forgot about it for 8 odd years,until I took pity on it (again) and dragged it home(again),and made it useable and roadworthy.

Don't think I'll part with it for quite a while.

Good to drive,comfy,frugal and easy to park(lack of PAS is a pain at parking time though)and they look so neat,even now.

Enjoy yours.

post-5543-0-70221800-1537344061_thumb.jpg

Good stuff. Top shitting as said above.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you’re still going to struggle with classic insurance until you’re 21/25 I’m afraid. At least I did.

I'm 22 and also can't get a classic policy.

They always say it's one thing but if you then fulfil that criteria, the next time you enquire youll magically fail to fulfil a different one!

I used to have a Volvo 740 and they said they would have insured it but the cubic capacity was too big, which was daft, considering what car it was.

Tried to get a quote for my 416GTi and it was refused, probably on me not being 25.

I ended up SORNing one of my Rovers as it was too expensive to have both insured.

Good stuff. Top shitting as said above.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you’re still going to struggle with classic insurance until you’re 21/25 I’m afraid. At least I did.

I got insured at 20, but only Flux Direct would touch me and it was £1300 a year. More than I paid for my modern daily car doing 4x the annual mileage...

They seem to change the rules up ever fortnight though so the situation now could be much changed!

I used to have a Volvo 740 and they said they would have insured it but the cubic capacity was too big, which was daft, considering what car it was.

I've already been through a similar thing. When I tried to get a quote while I was still 17, I was given an annual price north of £8000. When I asked why it was so expensive, the woman on the phone told me it was because I was trying to insure a 1.8... right...

I've decided that I want to spaff some money on insurance for this thing, so I'll be sorting that on Monday though it'll only be for a month. However, that relies on me selling my other car before then (anyone want an 8 month MOT 2003 Avensis diesel for as cheap as they come? Only seems to attract time wasters) and I've still got a couple of things to fix on this, like a leaky leak-off pipe. Fingers crossed it doesn't explode or kill me... or both.

Anyway, here's some bonus straight piped XUD content I found from when the exhaust was getting sorted:

Lovely motor. I do like these, my dad used to have a properly brown mk1 (pre facelift) pez one. I'm assuming his was a 1.0. I think it was an XE from memory.

I was a teenager at the time, and was usually embarrassed being dropped at school in it. Especially as it had a home made exhaust and my school was a bit snobby....so naturally he would insist on taking me right up the school drive and drop me outside the front door, pissing himself all the way.

I'd fall over myself to own it now. Weird what time and memories do eh.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Lovely motor. I do like these, my dad used to have a properly brown mk1 (pre facelift) pez one. I'm assuming his was a 1.0. I think it was an XE from memory.

I was a teenager at the time, and was usually embarrassed being dropped at school in it. Especially as it had a home made exhaust and my school was a bit snobby....so naturally he would insist on taking me right up the school drive and drop me outside the front door, pissing himself all the way.

I'd fall over myself to own it now. Weird what time and memories do eh.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

It's funny (to me) how age defines how you see a car, my dad used to drive around in some proper rusty ultra low-status chod in the 80s/90s. FSOs, DAFs, and generally anything cheap and/or unusual. At any point a 205 would have been far too chic and modern for our family. But at the same time I'd forgotten how cool they were until fairly recently. I suppose old French cars haven't really been on my radar, too busy obsessing about Germans and Swedes.

One of my best mates mums had a fairly new special edition Lacoste one when I was about 8. Their family were all into cars and they always had something nice. Aside from "executive" motors like Granadas etc, it was about as sophisticated and trendy a car as I'd ever sat in, and I was definitely impressed. I realise now that nostalgia for that particular car is a big part of what drew me to my CJ. But the memory was hidden in a little forgotten corner of my brain.

I laud the rescue of this fine machine, with a fine patina. Not owned a little pergot since 2001 but motoring hasn't been the same for 17 years.

£30 worth of tickets when the time comes please. Would prefer Douvrin power plant but beggars can't be choosers.

There was an even lowlier spec 205 Base with the 950cc suitcase engine, produced only for the first year of production. the XE was pretty mingebag in itself in either 950 or 1124 engine with 4 speed box, a speedo and a heater, so methinks just a steering wheel, a speedo and a gear lever were the only things available to the driver in the 'base' spec. I think became became the Junior model in 1985.

There are two basic things that kill an XUD that can be avoided, boiling them is one and the other is the serpentine belt snapping and then being dragged up into the cam-belt and trashing the engine. I'd check that while you are at it if it hasn't been changed in a long while.

Ps. If you do end up dropping the water out of it be careful when bleeding it. Being an old 205 the expansion bottle might be in a sensible place and high compared to the engine? If not cut the bottom off a 2 litre pop bottle, wrap the threads in tape until it fits snugly into the tank and then fill the system with coolant.