Vag LT35 works have begun.....

kinkersaab

sorry for shit pics . Anyhow, I went and had a wee shotty. Inital sticky brake and smoke aside it felt great, especially since its sat around for a loooong time. I did 4 or 5 miles in it, bloody heavy and slower than it sounded but felt lovely and solid and proper old school. No pas, no turbo. 48000 miles which i beleive. Internally it is as good as i imagine they come. Engine and box all sounded and felt fine. Brakes a little stodgy. Bodily bloody good too. I have bid £900 for it as ot stands, cant imagine i can go far wrong at that, what do you reckon?

If its the one i think it is...pretty sure it is, but no way of checking, it was a local salmon fish farm type bloke had it, it always had a big plastic tank in the back,it then went to another old bloke who has a few geese and a bit of a small holding , it then sat around.... More than that i dont know

These are going up in value so £900 for one with such low mileage seems reasonable enough.  They do take a while to wind up but they will do 70 if needed - don't forget that being a 6-pot engine it sounds like it's revving higher than it is compared to a "normal" van engine, so to get it moving you need to rev it to what sounds like 7,000 rpm (but is in fact only about 4,500).

I may be somewhat biased, but get it bought! Mine is the TD, with a whopping 25 more horses, but balanced out by 220,000 more miles and a high top. It's not quick by any stretch of the imagination, but is a relaxingly pleasant way to pootle even on long journeys, if you aren't pressured for time.

As you say, bodily it looks good and still has the seam below the rear edge of the cab door. Windscreen lower corners even look good too! More parts are becoming available, including the gear linkage bushes (I had a batch made up, but they are now long gone). Heater fans often seize especially if sat idle, but the motor is a standard Bosch part so available from RS.

These don't seem to be quite as popular as the vans just yet, but £900 still sounds a good price.

So its home. A fairly uneventful journey . Managed an indicated 60 so that was ok, smoke has all cleared, brakes still binding so max speed should be a little more. I removed all interior mats etc to see if the dreaded rust has taken hold anywhere. Nope, its lovely and fresh. I have managed to break the hinge on the accelerator pedal so that will hinder progess a wee bit. Anyone got a spare?

Well bought fella - old colleague has one with the camper rear - massive thing and takes forever to get anywhere at all, but he loves it. He had the rear over the axles re-done as it was shot..... but that may have been due to the toilet and water run-offs, not just the usual rot.

I drove it once - and hated it totally at first - then plodded down camping for a weekend and fell in love with the thing. 

Unfortunately he's a slob - so I wouldn't touch anything he's slept or lived in afterwards - or it would be on the want list! 

so what are the plans?