Pinto Yo - Help

BorniteIdentity

The 2.0 cam has a better profile and was used in the 1600GT units. If you were fitting a new cam anyway, a 2.0 one would give a small but useful boost in bhp - probably 5 bhp or something.

This car has been on the road since Kadgagoogoo were a new thing and the Pinto's been in there all those years. They're a perfectly good engine.

I learnt to drive in a base Y reg 1.6 dangly mirrors estate in beige.

IIRC that engine seemed particularly free revving and sprightly.

Especially compared to a 1.6 this that was a couple of years newer which was a pool car where I was a trainee engineer.

Might just be about the weight.

When it was in good health, and Alf tickled the timing in the right direction, it was very sprightly indeed.

This car has always been about adequacy. Things just needed to be adequate. The 1600 pintosaurus is just that.

Who wants to tell Alf we’re starting again? (!)

We had a 4 door Y plate 1.6 Sierra that served as tow car and runabout, it was worn out and used to consume oil regularly BUT it went far better than a borrowed stock 2.0, I'm guessing at some point in it's previous 10 year life it had been pretty extensively worked on by someone who knew how to build a strong torquey pinto. When it was swapped for a lower mileage engine it just wasn't the same.

, I don't use a compressor fitting on the spark plug hole then fill with air to keep the valves up, I use a length of rope and wind the piston up the bore

This is the tool to go for

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/VS168-Sealey-Valve-Spring-Compressor-Lever-Type-OHV-OHC-Engine/182876195685?epid=1625137720&hash=item2a94454b65:g:rSEAAOSwqsxbnLok

Thing with using compressor fitting is you know the valve seal is good when it holds air.

piece of rope will work with half a valve.

1600 interferes with itself.

‘By the book’ yes, the 1600 is interference and 2000 not. But it seems to be a bit hit or miss with the 1600 wether or not it’ll cause damage.

When I was in the garage we had a 1600 Sierra dragged in on tow. Cam belt snapped. The tow driver and owner of the Sierra thought it was head off time but I timed it up again and chucked a new belt on. Started it up and away it went first turn of the key. The owner was well happy! I think he’d expected a fairly big bill and a day or two without the car and having to get picked up from the garage. All it cost him was an hour of his time and a new belt from Halfords (who were nextdoor to our garage!).

Mind you I’d never want to try this with mine!

We had a 4 door Y plate 1.6 Sierra that served as tow car and runabout, it was worn out and used to consume oil regularly BUT it went far better than a borrowed stock 2.0, I'm guessing at some point in it's previous 10 year life it had been pretty extensively worked on by someone who knew how to build a strong torquey pinto. When it was swapped for a lower mileage engine it just wasn't the same.

It’s funny that some are like that. I’ve noticed it with my Capri 1600. It goes really well and sounds good. Yet you can jump into another 1600 pinto car and it’s nothing like that! Slow, gutless...

No idea why but I’d just put it down to some being good uns and some not! How it’s been looked after in the past obviously makes a big difference too but it’s quite surprising the difference sometimes between two identical engines.

When I bought mine it was pretty rough but with hard use and a bit of tlc it improved massively. I don’t think mine had been serviced or received much attention apart from an annual MOT for a good few years before I got it. Combined with an elderly driver of course it just seemed a bit clogged up.