Pinto Yo - Help

BorniteIdentity

Hi

As you may have read, Alf892 and I are involved in a pinto refurb for the bASe Sierra.

He came up with the genius plan of getting another head from a guy he knows and refurbishing THAT - plonking it on and giving the dude my old one plus some lager beer.

Thing is, like, we suspect the new head is a 2.0.

The bASe is a purebred 1.6.

Will the very axis that earth spins on be destroyed if we mate a 2.0 head with a 1.6 lump?

If not, what are the likely behaviours of this bastard child?

TiA.

I'd check the bore & valve sizes. If the bores are larger on the 2.0 (which I'd expect) with larger valves they might not open as the block would be in the way on the 1.6.

My illogical thoughts would be keep the original head because it's the right one for the car even if the other fits.

I'd check the bore & valve sizes. If the bores are larger on the 2.0 (which I'd expect) with larger valves they might not open as the block would be in the way on the 1.6.

My illogical thoughts would be keep the original head because it's the right one for the car even if the other fits.

I agree. It was more about ease, as I don’t really want the thing immobile.

I agree. It was more about ease, as I don’t really want the thing immobile.

Why not measure the capacity of both? as long as they are similar then it won’t make a massive difference (I am sure you probably know how to do this but if not give me a shout and I will go through it). My guess is that it will either be ok as is or need a light skim to just up the compression ratio back to what it should be.

From another ford website

2.0 on a 1600 is another waist of time cos the comp ratio will be far to low and you'll need to skim the buggery out of the head to get it back up which will then meen you need a vernia to get the cam timming right.

From another ford website

2.0 on a 1600 is another waist of time cos the comp ratio will be far to low and you'll need to skim the buggery out of the head to get it back up which will then meen you need a vernia to get the cam timming right.

I'm not sure about that being correct as if it was everybody would want to start with putting a 1.6 head on a 2.0 rather than skimming loads off a 2.0 one.

I know I'm funny with engine changes so I'd go with what Hooli says it's the original one and is right for the car any others are wrong* but more than that they mean loads of messing an potential for who knows what in the future.

Hi

As you may have read, Alf892 and I are involved in a pinto refurb for the bASe Sierra.

He came up with the genius plan of getting another head from a guy he knows and refurbishing THAT - plonking it on and giving the dude my old one plus some lager beer.

Thing is, like, we suspect the new head is a 2.0.

The bASe is a purebred 1.6.

Will the very axis that earth spins on be destroyed if we mate a 2.0 head with a 1.6 lump?

If not, what are the likely behaviours of this bastard child?

TiA.

I fitted a 2.0 head on a 1.6 pinto many moons ago. The cam timing was always half a tooth out & it was always lumpy at idle.

What they all said!^

Personally, I’d stick with your 1600 head. Remove it from the car and simply rebuild that and while your at it send it off to get hardened valve seats machined in for unleaded. It’s all dead easy and doesn’t take long if you’ve got all the bits you need ready to go. I stripped mine off the Capri and did all the work and had it back on the car running well inside a day. The only hold up was getting the unleaded valve seats done.

Isn’t the Sierra off the road currently anyway? If so then it’s not going to matter about keeping the car mobile.

No I’m being serious, be a lot more economical, reliable smoother unit than the old pinto, I think you could drop one in and make it look fairly factory. Keep rest looking standard and you’ve got something that with regular oil changes should be problem free.

I don't get the point. If you want a newer car experience then you wouldn't buy an older base model anyway.