Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The grumpy thread

• Please log in to reply
84415 replies to this topic

#81631 OFFLINE   myglaren

myglaren

• Full Members
  • 2,887 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationWashington

Posted 16 September 2018 - 08:12 PM

They certainly made it as hard as possible to use other payment methods.
I thought you HAD to offer PayPal as a payment option?

I am in the market for some roof bars and one seller mentioned that PayPal was preferred but that they would accept cheques and postal orders but not bank transfers.

Sent from beyond the grave using the Force.

#81632 OFFLINE   HarmonicCheeseburger

HarmonicCheeseburger

• Full Members
  • 1,159 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationRawtenstall

Posted 16 September 2018 - 08:25 PM

I vote that eBay accepts payment in salted peanuts.

• Ghosty and MorrisItalSLX like this

1994 K11 1.0 CVT Micra - Spent way more then needed but loving it :)

#81633 OFFLINE   Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

GM free since 89

• Full Members
  • 7,153 posts
  • 49 thanks

Posted 16 September 2018 - 08:41 PM

They certainly made it as hard as possible to use other payment methods.
I thought you HAD to offer PayPal as a payment option?

Yup they do, but I always clearly state cash only for collection on the rare times I sell stuff on there now. Still in dispute with them after they stopped an auction just because I sent my number to a guy who wanted to view the item but still charged me the fees. Tossers.
  • Dick Longbridge likes this

#81634 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 5,398 posts
  • 50 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:12 PM

Just had a week off work using up the last of my holiday for the year, back to work tomorrow and I feel fucking awful about it. I fucking hate work! What a waste of the only life you get. Bastard place.
  • cort16, hennabm, myglaren and 10 others like this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#81635 OFFLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Yeah, yeah.. I'll do it in a minute....

• Full Members
  • 5,643 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:20 PM

I recall a comedy sketch that basicly consisted of old gits pushing in to queues etc saying 'I can't wait, I might die before I get there'. Damned if I can think who it was though.

Harry Enfield's old gits.
  • tinribs, Hooli and djim like this
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

Don't suffer in silence. Samaritans 116 123

#81636 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 9,519 posts
  • 92 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:23 PM

Just had a week off work using up the last of my holiday for the year, back to work tomorrow and I feel fucking awful about it. I fucking hate work! What a waste of the only life you get. Bastard place.

I keep getting that feeling. Wish I could spend all the time working on my 1100. Unfortunately that doesn't pay the bills, so work tomorrow it is!
  • danthecapriman likes this
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#81637 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

Apologising everyday since 1990

• Full Members
  • 6,212 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationFormby - Just around the corner from MikeR

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:42 PM

Daughter and her boyfriend are on the cusp of renting a flat near Liverpool Cathedral.
It has gated parking.
The insurance on her Bini is due at three end of the month and her renewal was 550 quid. Putting the new address into any price comparison site brings up prices around 2200 quid. Taking her musician / barman boyfriend off the insurance reduces it by 200 quid.
I am apparently to use my extensive expertise to get it below 1000 quid.
Must be the postcode. L8 TOXTETH as in toxic death.
  • purplebargeken likes this

#81638 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,794 posts
  • 169 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:17 AM

Just about to get in bed and I hear a large bang outside. Turns out the Spar over the road is being ram raided which was quite odd to watch.

Useless scumbags didn't even manage to nick owt.3070c62fd0c10503a38f817fc9fdc99e.jpg
Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

#81639 OFFLINE   GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus

Darth Gittius

• Full Members
  • 1,768 posts
  • 30 thanks
  • LocationCoruscant

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:01 AM

Went to Ashford outlet centre today via country roads. I have never in my life seen such poor driving. Is it really so difficult to drive in such a way as not to put others at risk or have people just morphed into cunts overnight?

I remember now why I dislike driving at the weekend.

Lived on a country road around there until fairly recently. Your assessment is unsurprising.
  • nebuchenezer likes this

#81640 OFFLINE   GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus

Darth Gittius

• Full Members
  • 1,768 posts
  • 30 thanks
  • LocationCoruscant

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:03 AM

Just about to get in bed and I hear a large bang outside. Turns out the Spar over the road is being ram raided which was quite odd to watch.

Useless scumbags didn't even manage to nick owt.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2018091...

If they we re on ecstasy, you’d have the perfect crime from the 90s...
  • Hooli likes this

#81641 OFFLINE   Pillock

Pillock

It's true.

• Staff
  • 18,143 posts
  • 100 thanks
  • LocationMassive Wang.

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:10 AM

We've got loads of ram raiding action round here recently. Mostly for cash machines, they just hoik them out with a stolen telehandler, lob them in the back of a pickup and away.

Apart from Currys, that was a good old fashioned ramraid for electricals. Mainly because the bollards were more than a car width apart....

9d9a9c75dafc644e81e3426512945d3b.jpg
  • Lacquer Peel, mercedade, dome and 4 others like this

#81642 OFFLINE   bolognasal spray

bolognasal spray

• Full Members
  • 415 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:12 AM

doi oi oi

• Lacquer Peel likes this

2004 Focus “Edge” (1.8 pezzer)

2009 Focus estate (1.8 pezzer)

2000 zx9r C2

2006 Honda IZY HRG 416 PK

1997 cb500

2011 klx 250

2009 Renault Master (diseasil)

#81643 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 6,438 posts
  • 96 thanks

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:59 AM

And using a cortina/ Granada estate with the tailgate removed.
  • GrumpiusMaximus likes this

#81644 OFFLINE   omegod

omegod

• Full Members
  • 1,974 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:22 AM

4 weeks off work following double hernia surgery last Friday, it's veeery painful and I'm basically to lie on the bastard couch for at least 2 weeks, had a look through he daytime TV schedules and fuck me it's miserable 

Any suggestions for series on netflix etc ???

#81645 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,794 posts
  • 169 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:31 AM

Doubt they are intelligent enough to swallow pills without help considering they stopped around the corner for about a minute before driving off with nothing & burning the car out less than 1/2 mile away to prove their local. Oh they went for the cash machine, but after discovering it's not portable (fuckwits tried to just pick it up by hand ffs) they just left.

It was a green/silver shotgun pinin btw fact fans.

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

#81646 OFFLINE   LightBulbFun

LightBulbFun

• Full Members
  • 324 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:42 AM

4 weeks off work following double hernia surgery last Friday, it's veeery painful and I'm basically to lie on the bastard couch for at least 2 weeks, had a look through he daytime TV schedules and fuck me it's miserable 

Any suggestions for series on netflix etc ???

iv been binge watching iZombie currently, otherwise I dont really watch much in the way of TV shows (I generally only watch TV shows n such when the back pain gets so bad i basically vegetate, as otherwise I try to be vaguely productive on the internet helping out on various forums n such)

if Coherent zombies having flash backs aint your thing tho

while I dont know if its on netflix, the TV show and the 3 movies, "on the buses" is a good laugh :)

I dont really watch much in the way of TV shows these days otherwise (I aint actually watched real TV in about 5 years, I generally only watch "TV" shows n such when the back pain gets so bad i basically vegetate, as otherwise I do try to be vaguely productive on the internet helping out/part taking on various forums n such :))

and if all else fails

theres also this really good read on the internet its called the Autoshite forum  :mrgreen:  its a great read when your awake at 4AM because crippling back pain wont let you sleep :)

#81647 OFFLINE   chadders

chadders

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 66 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationNorth Norfolk

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:50 AM

Daughter and her boyfriend are on the cusp of renting a flat near Liverpool Cathedral.
It has gated parking.
The insurance on her Bini is due at three end of the month and her renewal was 550 quid. Putting the new address into any price comparison site brings up prices around 2200 quid. Taking her musician / barman boyfriend off the insurance reduces it by 200 quid.

I've just been getting quotes for my youngest as his new houseshare doesn't have internet yet so he's out of data on his mobile.

I did a few variations on one website as they couldn't tell him what his job should be classed as - it's not on their list - only to be blocked from doing anymore and told to ring this number.

Cue 2 webchats and a lengthy phone call to be told that we couldn't now get the policy online and it'd be £70(!) more to do it by phone.

They can go and f*** themselves and we certainly won't be renewing our other policy with them.

#81648 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

• Full Members
  • 6,212 posts
  • 22 thanks

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:00 PM

It has gated parking.

ANY ideas welcome.

Car is worth what ? 1000 to 1500 quid?

I'm thinking third party only???

#81649 OFFLINE   Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

GM free since 89

• Full Members
  • 7,153 posts
  • 49 thanks

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:01 PM

ANY ideas welcome.

Third party seems more expensive these days. Tracker perhaps? You can Thatcham approved ones cheap these days.

#81650 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

• Full Members
  • 6,212 posts
  • 22 thanks

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:03 PM

Third party seems more expensive these days. Tracker perhaps? You can Thatcham approved ones cheap these days.

If the risk is all theft, due to toxteth, then removing theft from the policy must be a lot cheaper?

#81651 OFFLINE   mercrocker

mercrocker

Morris Major Elite

• Full Members
  • 7,926 posts
  • 68 thanks
  • LocationNew Forest

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:05 PM

ANY ideas welcome.

Been finding third party is not the panacea for cheaper quotes any more, it seems....Last two renewals on Mrs Rocker's 190E policy have been cheaper fully comp.   Queried it with the broker (he is old school, not an internet quote-jockey) and he reckons underwriters are getting twitchy about TP cover on cheaper, older cars.

• Ghosty and Tamworthbay like this

1963 Morry Thou

1955 Cowley

1987 VW T25 Holdsworth

1990 190E

197? Portafold Caravan 

2000 Fiesta Zetec Ghia

#81652 OFFLINE   Nyphur

Nyphur

No turkey?!

• Full Members
  • 3,613 posts
  • 55 thanks

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:06 PM

Add older people with good records onto the insurance as additional drovers and check the effect.

Check her actual mileage and drop the annual mileage on the policy to suit.

Often TPO and TPFT are more expensive than fully comp, strangely.

Windows 10 Pro Licenses, £5 each, PM me for details.

#81653 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,794 posts
  • 169 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:08 PM

Often TPO and TPFT are more expensive than fully comp, strangely.

I think it's been shown people that crash a lot & settle cash tend to buy TPO & TPFT polices. So the risk is classed as higher because they might be a more dangerous driver.

I'm not arguing if it's right or wrong, but there is a logic there around people having lots of crashes are more likely to have a big one at some point.

• Tamworthbay and GrumpiusMaximus like this

#81654 OFFLINE   Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

GM free since 89

• Full Members
  • 7,153 posts
  • 49 thanks

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:08 PM

If the risk is all theft, due to toxteth, then removing theft from the policy must be a lot cheaper?

You would think so but you fall into the trap of using logic to determine that most dark of bullshitting arts which is the insurance quote. In their twisted mind it may also mean you are a cheapskate and therefore more likely to abuse it and drive like a twat. As with all things insurance wise it will make no sense whatsoever as they just seem to make shit up as they go along. As a perfect example myself and PBK on here have both had insurance quotes for the exact same two cars (as in the exact car, not even the same model or whatever). For me one was cheap and one stupid expensive, the same for him. The mad thing being that it was the opposite cars. The cheap one for me was extortionate for him and vice versa, go figure because I sure as hell can’t.

#81655 OFFLINE   fairkens

fairkens

• Full Members
  • 745 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationWest Yorkshire

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:14 PM

Thanks to ambulance chasing compo culture most insurance payouts are for injury (whiplash etc) so TPFT makes no difference. Liverpool is the literal and spritual home of no win no fee claim factories

Is Toxteth a cash for crash hotspot?
Erm, I've got a bit of a problem

#81656 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 13,794 posts
  • 169 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 17 September 2018 - 01:23 PM

You would think so but you fall into the trap of using logic to determine that most dark of bullshitting arts which is the insurance quote. In their twisted mind it may also mean you are a cheapskate and therefore more likely to abuse it and drive like a twat. As with all things insurance wise it will make no sense whatsoever as they just seem to make shit up as they go along. As a perfect example myself and PBK on here have both had insurance quotes for the exact same two cars (as in the exact car, not even the same model or whatever). For me one was cheap and one stupid expensive, the same for him. The mad thing being that it was the opposite cars. The cheap one for me was extortionate for him and vice versa, go figure because I sure as hell can’t.

It's all statistics. I've seen it all explained before (on PH I think) by a mate who run a motor claims department.

The reason it varies per company is they don't share the data like this. So if company A insures ten Galaxys driven by 47 year old men who crash that year & company B insures ten Galaxys driven by 47 year old men who don't crash then they'll have a different risk rating for that. Hence company A will quote a lot more than company B for a 47 year old man driving a Galaxy.

It's not that simple, but it's kinda how it works.

• Tamworthbay likes this

#81657 OFFLINE   Parky

Parky

I don't watch much Television

• Full Members
  • 5,870 posts
  • 84 thanks
  • LocationBut I hear Breaking Bad is very good

Posted 17 September 2018 - 03:47 PM

Unbelievable...

A couple of months ago I posted a grin about pretty much nailing down a brilliant job. Hadn’t heard anything from the company so called the guy up who was very apologetic, said they had been tied up on some internal stuff but they would be back in a few weeks. Today I found out that the two guys who were employing me had walked out of the business so that’s the end of that one.

The contract I am working on ends next month and any mention of extending it is met with silence and tumbleweed bouncing across the office despite achieving a lot more than I was employed for.

Previous firm owed me commission, refused to pay it, I pushed back and consulted a legal beagle and was basically told that yes, they can refuse to pay it and you cant do anything about it unless you want to get into a drawn out legal affair which I have no time or funds for.

Another job interview last week. Went really well. Won’t be taking it further as the M.D. really wants someone from a public school rather than a grammar.

And finally I chased up an agent about another role I applied for three weeks ago. Feedback was yes you have the experience and knowledge required, but they are concerned that you have a long drive and may struggle to find a parking space.

First time I have been turned down for a job because of infrastructure.

On top of that junior wants to go on a very expensive school trip to Space Camp. With everything falling apart and options disappearing like bubbles bursting in the sun I am going to have to decline him something he has wanted to do all of his life.

Good job I don’t suffer badly from depression. Oh.....
  • richardthestag likes this

#81658 OFFLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Yeah, yeah.. I'll do it in a minute....

• Full Members
  • 5,643 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:31 PM

Shirley getting to work and funding a parking space is your problem not theirs?
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

Don't suffer in silence. Samaritans 116 123

#81659 OFFLINE   Parky

Parky

I don't watch much Television

• Full Members
  • 5,870 posts
  • 84 thanks
  • LocationBut I hear Breaking Bad is very good

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:41 PM

Yeah, exactly. I already said that won’t be a problem.

Personally I think it had been promised to Karen from the back office and they were creating obstacles for anyone external.

#81660 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

• Full Members
  • 6,212 posts
  • 22 thanks

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:10 PM

I think it's been shown people that crash a lot & settle cash tend to buy TPO & TPFT polices. So the risk is classed as higher because they might be a more dangerous driver.

I'm not arguing if it's right or wrong, but there is a logic there around people having lots of crashes are more likely to have a big one at some point.

Likely that if you cut the statistics carefully enough this factor will be a red X.

Also why I over estimate the value of any car I am insuring.

If it is worth Jack shit you'll. Be less careful right?

A few years back I did a few quotes with different values and different miles

Probably 1000 quid verses 2500 and 6000 verses 12000.

There was a hot spot where at £2k and 10k miles it was cheapest. ONLY by 15%
PEOPLE who do low miles might crash more?

I then moved to the voluntary excess. I found that the premium barely moved with an excess decreased from 800 to 250, but below 200 it jumped by 15%.

Anyway daughter informs me that her current provider is quoting 900 squid. AND that is acceptable. She has removed me from the policy and added my wife. Who has no points unlike dickhead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users