Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The grumpy old man thread

• Please log in to reply
83258 replies to this topic

#82771 OFFLINE   bub2006

bub2006

• Full Members
  • 8,897 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • Locationderbyshire

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:19 PM

Wow. Just wow.

Do you have another son I wasn't aware of? Because this doesn't sound like Rhys at all.

Hope it works out, mate.

Seriously mate he can come across so innocent to people but he is a big trouble causer.

#82772 OFFLINE   Noel Tidybeard

Noel Tidybeard

Crinkley Bottom

• Full Members
  • 3,984 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationSolihulldontchakno

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:36 PM

Get up early after they have had a session and wake the fucked up. Use Any excuse. Make fake parcels and tell him theyve been delivered to you. Knock on his door, tell him you are mowing your front lawn, would he like you to do his. Put your music on at full blast at 7 am and go and sit in the garden.
Drill with hammer action into the shared walls.
Always complain. But not when it's happening. Stop him on his way to work, thus forcing him to talk to you when he's late already.
Get a solicitor to get an injunction.

i think they need an argos catalogue or some shefag :mrgreen:

• stonedagain likes this

07 Civic spaceship- daily
93 Renner 19 RNi- sulking
89 Sunnay L premium- hiding

Only a complete wank-puffin has a personalised licence plate on a Ford Mondeo!

#82773 OFFLINE   forddeliveryboy

forddeliveryboy

• Full Members
  • 8,949 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationEurope

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:45 PM

Not really. When I was booted into private education in 1981, Latin was compulsory from age 11 onwards up to 15. I remember it being fun, and it taught me how grammar works, the origins of language and why we (still) have the words that we do.

And loads of our words have nothing to do with Latin at all. It's all a result of Bill the Conk successfully invading us 952 years ago. The Harrying of the North was spectacularly brutal, in an attempt to rid England of any rebuttal of this invasion by the pseudo-French.

As I've spouted here before, the Scots moan of their 300 years of subjugation by Westminster whereas The North of England (which was pivotal in the Industrial Revolution and gave the British Isles such a lead in the world) has been under the thumb of a Norman system for 1000 years.

I'm hugely in favour of schools teaching such fascinating and disciplinary languages as Latin (why not more Ancient Greek, it's way more of an interesting culture and language) which have a bearing of the words we use now, but why not Ancient Scandinavian languages also?
  • flat4alfa, Lacquer Peel and AMC Rebel like this

#82774 ONLINE   New POD

New POD

Apologising everyday since 1990

• Full Members
  • 5,893 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationFormby - Just around the corner from MikeR

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:39 AM

I agree about synthetic phonics. My neices are being tawt/tort (sic) this way and their spelling is weird. My sister and I had flash cards which my mum diligently kept but hasn't been allowed to use for her grandchildren. They read a lot, but it has taken a long time for them to realise that what they read is connected to how they spell.

When my wife worked in "School of Scalls" in netherton Bootle she would tell the kids to put on their best Telephone voice and try to sound like the queen was phoning them.
Also used to tell them to put their BBC world service voice on, but obviously they had no idea what she was going on about.

She once recorded the shipping forecast and had them try to mimic the accent.

Fucking Scallies she should have told them to talk like the Magistrate that was sending their mum's boyfriend down for getting caught stealing Christmas from Matalan.
  • sporty-shite, tooSavvy, D Spares & Tyres and 2 others like this

#82775 OFFLINE   SierraMikeHotel

SierraMikeHotel

• Full Members
  • 1,480 posts
  • 30 thanks

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:49 AM

I used to teach English as a foreign language to adults and my instinct was that phonics was bunk - or at least unsuitable for English.

If you understand how Italian pronunciation works you can read pretty much anything aloud, even if you don't understand what you're saying. English spelling, however, has more exceptions than rules.

This isn't a new issue. My mum was taught to use the rules of Latin grammar on her English, leading her to tut at every episode of Star Trek. This is silly: it's fine to boldly split an infinitive in English, just as it's fine to pick up the ball in rugby (unless you're trying to play it using the rules of football).

When teaching, the question is always about outcomes. Why are we doing this? What's the point of teaching kids to read words out if they don't know what they're saying?
  • hennabm, myglaren, AMC Rebel and 1 other like this

#82776 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 3,181 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationNot currently in Ireland

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:54 AM

.... What's the point of teaching kids to read words out if they don't know what they're saying?

The same question might be asked of politicians making statements.....

• myglaren, catsinthewelder, Craig the Princess and 1 other like this
F*ck your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside,
F*ck your Subaru, I have a horse outside.
And f*ck your Mitsubishi, I've a horse outside,
If you're lookin' for a ride, I've got a horse outside

#82777 OFFLINE   GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus

Darth Gittius

• Full Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationCoruscant

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:00 AM

I used to teach English as a foreign language to adults and my instinct was that phonics was bunk - or at least unsuitable for English.

If you understand how Italian pronunciation works you can read pretty much anything aloud, even if you don't understand what you're saying. English spelling, however, has more exceptions than rules.

This isn't a new issue. My mum was taught to use the rules of Latin grammar on her English, leading her to tut at every episode of Star Trek. This is silly: it's fine to boldly split an infinitive in English, just as it's fine to pick up the ball in rugby (unless you're trying to play it using the rules of football).

When teaching, the question is always about outcomes. Why are we doing this? What's the point of teaching kids to read words out if they don't know what they're saying?

I quite agree.

I'm not a psychologist but there are many studies out there that show that the simple act of communicating with and to children improves their knowledge of English.  The most critical time period for this is before formal education even starts.  Reading and writing are things that can be taught effectively any number of ways and this focus on one method that I also feel is inherently unsuitable for the English language is a major mistake.  It does work - but there are so many other methods that also work.

To be honest, I'm not the best judge of this because I could read and write before I ever stepped into a classroom.  I'd be interested in knowing what experience others have had...

• myglaren and AMC Rebel like this

#82778 OFFLINE   artdjones

artdjones

• Full Members
  • 930 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationCork

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:30 AM

Why would you teach anyone to read out words in their native tongue that they don't know? Surely children are taught to read using simple books containing words they already know.Once they have some level of literacy then more advanced texts are gradually introduced,and also the use of a dictionary with pronunciations can be taught.
  • Hooli likes this

#82779 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 3,181 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:37 AM

Why would you teach anyone to read out words in their native tongue that they don't know? Surely children are taught to read using simple books containing words they already know.Once they have some level of literacy then more advanced texts are gradually introduced,and also the use of a dictionary with pronunciations can be taught.

Out of interest and maybe a touch OT, what is the current Irish approach to this, and does it differ from how it was done when you were in school?

#82780 OFFLINE   artdjones

artdjones

• Full Members
  • 930 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationCork

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:02 PM

I was brought up in Wales myself,not Ireland.My Mother went to school in Ireland and left at the age of 12 in 1939.She was a very fluent reader and writer.
I believe that phonics is an important part of teaching reading here.I have no children myself,but friend's children all read very well,and my own opinion is that the Irish education system is superior to the English one.I believe that around 20% of those in their late teens are functionally illiterate in England.

A friend of mine who has two small girls is thinking of moving to Birmingham next year.I'm trying to think of a tactful way of enquiring as to his sanity, particularly regarding what the move would mean for the girls'education.They are in a really good local Gaelscoil now.Gaelscoils are Irish medium,but they speak,read,and write English to a very high standard for their age.
  • Tadhg Tiogar likes this

#82781 OFFLINE   artdjones

artdjones

• Full Members
  • 930 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationCork

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:07 PM

I suppose the high rate of functional illiteracy in the UK is down to society's general attitude towards literacy.Oh well, even if the children can't read,at least they are world leaders in making Plasticine worms.

#82782 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 3,556 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:10 PM

Having spent a lot of time in recent years working with Irish colleagues (mainly in Dublin, but in other parts of Ireland too) my anecdotal experience is that the education system does seem superior.  Not only that but the levels of good manners, decency and sense of humour have been better than many of my UK/US colleagues. 

1994 Range Rover Classic "The Crying Pumpkin" cried off, rusty

2003 Jaaaag XJ 260K miles and counting

2000 Ford Mondeo Verona 1.8 pez FOR SALE Now with new As owner

2000 Ford Puma 1.7 - Roffled and now with new AS owner

1968 AMC Rebel SST convertible (working and road legal but in limp home mode)

1967 AMC Rebel SST convertible (superior body and originality being slowly raided for spares for the '68) Off road for at least the last 25 years

1956 Chevy 210 4 door hardtop - bought in 2000 and still in my garage - I even do a bit of work on it occasionally - long term project

2005 MG ZT-T awaiting completion of engine transplant of spare V6 after OMG HGF on the engine that "never has that problem"

2005 Land Rover Discovery - for long trips and moving engines 

#82783 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 3,181 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:11 PM

..... even if the children can't read, at least they are world leaders in making Plasticine worms. go into government

FTFY.

• AMC Rebel likes this

#82784 OFFLINE   mrbenn

mrbenn

• Full Members
  • 1,259 posts
  • 35 thanks

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:27 PM

On Anglesey at the moment. Bit breezy but didn't seem too bad so I went for a walk around the block. It's bad. Something flying through the air hit me on the side of the head, knocked my glasses off. Amazingly, I found them about 20 yards away stuck in bushes (ever tried to find something when you're short sighted and don't have glasses on? Not easy...). Right lens badly chipped and scratched, pad missing but could have been worse.

So yeah, if you're in the bad weather, watch yourself!

• michael t likes this

#82785 OFFLINE   GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus

Darth Gittius

• Full Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationCoruscant

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:39 PM

Nope. That’s not how it’s done...

#82786 OFFLINE   artdjones

artdjones

• Full Members
  • 930 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationCork

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:45 PM

Nope. That’s not how it’s done...

Well that's how it used to be done.The improvements* in the education system since the sixties seem to have resulted in a regression of standards.
  • Hooli likes this

#82787 OFFLINE   GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus

Darth Gittius

• Full Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationCoruscant

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:07 PM

Well that's how it used to be done.The improvements* in the education system since the sixties seem to have resulted in a regression of standards.

I think I've addressed this in a previous post.  Bar specific issues like Phonics, I think education is much, much better than it has been at any other point.  Outcomes have certainly improved enormously.

#82788 OFFLINE   artdjones

artdjones

• Full Members
  • 930 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationCork

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:21 PM

Well according to the OECD,the UK is bottom in the developed world for literacy and second bottom for numeracy.So these vast improvements seem to be rather theoretical, unless you are comparing the present with the time before the 1870 Education Act.

Look at the average private eBay ad for a car.Does it look like it comes from a country where literacy standards are better than ever and "outcomes" are better than ever?
  • barefoot, forddeliveryboy, panhard65 and 3 others like this

#82789 ONLINE   New POD

New POD

Apologising everyday since 1990

• Full Members
  • 5,893 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationFormby - Just around the corner from MikeR

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:57 PM

On Anglesey at the moment. Bit breezy but didn't seem too bad so I went for a walk around the block. It's bad. Something flying through the air hit me on the side of the head, knocked my glasses off. Amazingly, I found them about 20 yards away stuck in bushes (ever tried to find something when you're short sighted and don't have glasses on? Not easy...). Right lens badly chipped and scratched, pad missing but could have been worse.

So yeah, if you're in the bad weather, watch yourself!

Parents live in Llandonna. I suspect if the wind gets worse they will be replacing the greenhouse again for the er third time.

#82790 OFFLINE   mrbenn

mrbenn

• Full Members
  • 1,259 posts
  • 35 thanks

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:01 PM

You may well be right. Just stepped outside to get something from the car, got about 10 yards before I thought better of it and went straight back in the house.

#82791 OFFLINE   richardmorris

richardmorris

• Full Members
  • 6,668 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:26 PM

Not really. When I was booted into private education in 1981, Latin was compulsory from age 11 onwards up to 15. I remember it being fun, and it taught me how grammar works, the origins of language and why we (still) have the words that we do.

I did Latin in comprehensive school for two years from about 1983. Oh poor caecilius!
  • chaseracer, Cheggers and SierraMikeHotel like this
  • Mercedes E320 coupé
  • Fiat X1/9
  • Citroën 2CV6

#82792 OFFLINE   sheffcortinacentre

sheffcortinacentre

• Full Members
  • 1,954 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:50 PM

Was in Iceland (the supermarket not the country ) yesterday woman on till late 20s was in a flap as till roll had run out & she didn't now how much change to give me without it!

I'd spent £7 & gave her £10!
  • anonymous user, myglaren and Lacquer Peel like this

to much power is just enough & theres more to life than mpg.

#82793 OFFLINE   GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus

Darth Gittius

• Full Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationCoruscant

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:09 PM

Latin was fine.  The odd part for me was that I was in a state school and I started in 1999...

#82794 OFFLINE   GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus

Darth Gittius

• Full Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationCoruscant

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:10 PM

I did Latin in comprehensive school for two years from about 1983. Oh poor caecilius!

Canis est in via...

Grumio est anxius...

• SierraMikeHotel likes this

#82795 OFFLINE   dozeydustman

dozeydustman

• Full Members
  • 1,888 posts
  • 31 thanks
  • LocationChiddesterrrrrr

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:18 PM

Cambridge Latin course. I remember it well with my Latin & Classics teachers.

Caecilius est pater et dominus. Metella in horto vinum bibit. Grumio in culina coquaat.

Best word I learnt in Latin? block & tackle - polyspaston

• GrumpiusMaximus likes this

Dream shite.

Talbot Sunbeam - Shove-it - Viva HC - Samba - Triumph Dolly - Triumph 2000 - Avenger - Pug 205 with a suitcase engine - AEC Mammoth Major - Hillman Hunter - Allegro - another Simca would be nice as well - Pug 309 with a Poissy engine - Routemaster

#82796 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 6,222 posts
  • 91 thanks

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:19 PM

Romanes eunt domus?
  • meggersdog, Stanky, dome and 3 others like this

#82797 OFFLINE   drivewaymyway

drivewaymyway

• Full Members
  • 250 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationReading / Newbury ish...

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:22 PM

Walking out of shops because the queue is too long is a hobby of mine but today was a first, I drove passed the shop window of a Lidl and didn't bother to park because I could see the store was awash with people and few tills open so pointless even going in.. me1, Lidl 0...

Berlingo 1.9D 2005..  Blue. Van

Berlingo 1.9D 2005..  Blueish. Van.

Berlingo 1.9D 2004 Multi...  Silver.

VW Golf GTTDI 1997.. Silver..

MGF 1.8i.. Silver...  Shite...

2003 Yamaha R1.

Scott Mountain bike.

Static bike.

Grey wheelie bin.

Green wheelie bin.

Wheel barrow.. very rusted..

#82798 OFFLINE   MarvinsMom

MarvinsMom

• Full Members
  • 6,549 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationNorth Yorks

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:24 PM

Romanes eunt domus?

have you rememberd to conjugate the verb?

maxresdefault.jpg

now write it out 150 times.

1*83uRB5bLMHJ4MHfDQM8rvw.jpeg

and if i catch you doing that again, i'll cut you're balls off....

• dome, Tadhg Tiogar, GrumpiusMaximus and 2 others like this
Current Fleet-
1974 Mini 1000 PROJECT
1996 Lexus Ls400 IT LIVES!!
2001 Rover 75 CDT Tourer
1997 Rover Mini Cooper Sport
1995 Jaguar XJR-6 SOLD
1989 Austin Metro

#82799 OFFLINE   anonymous user

anonymous user

• Full Members
  • 4,846 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationAbject Poverty

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:25 PM

Was in Iceland (the supermarket not the country ) yesterday woman on till late 20s was in a flap as till roll had run out & she didn't now how much change to give me without it!

I'd spent £7 & gave her £10!

I hope you persuaded her that you'd take £5 change to make it easy and she could keep the difference.
  • sheffcortinacentre, Lacquer Peel and Christine like this

#82800 OFFLINE   Parky

Parky

I don't watch much Television

• Full Members
  • 5,717 posts
  • 80 thanks
  • LocationBut I hear Breaking Bad is very good

Posted 13 October 2018 - 03:52 AM

My son is doing Latin as part of the gifted and talented set. It’s one of the few subjects he actually makes an effort in.

He just scored 98% on a Cambridge Latin comprehension competition in an intra school test which apparently is the highest ever scored which isn’t bad for a monosyllabic Brooklyn Beckham lookalike who spends all day playing Counterstrike..

I did two years of it in grammar school. Canis est in horo is about all I can remember. That and Grumio est in Canis but I think that’s illegal....
  • chaseracer, Coprolalia, GrumpiusMaximus and 2 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tam