Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The grumpy old man thread

• Please log in to reply
82003 replies to this topic

#81631 OFFLINE   Saabnut

Saabnut

• Full Members
  • 479 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationAberdeenshire

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:13 PM

A battery showing flat after ages is better news that it showing full after minutes.

What charger are you using?  If it's a massive battery and a little trickle charger then it probably still isn't charged.

The 36 hours was on an Optimate. I have tried 4 different chargers ( from small units to a 100A jump start charger) and the optimate is still showing test mode and it refuses to take a charge of any of them. Think it is dead!

#81632 OFFLINE   cobblers

cobblers

Hoisin Crispy Owl

• Full Members
  • 3,884 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:19 PM

Have you tried putting a good battery in parallel with it while it's on charge? Often these "smart" chargers won't charge a dead flat battery - they look for the presense of 10V+ to make sure you've got the polarity correct before they'll switch on the output.

• Slongchod likes this

#81633 OFFLINE   Talbot

Talbot

Express

• Full Members
  • 1,641 posts
  • 49 thanks
  • Locationdowel.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:04 PM

Anyone else going to be affected by Velo south? I had no idea about it until I saw the signs up on my local access road. Turns out they are closing 100 miles of road around the south so that a load of people can pay a bloody fortune to cycle the route. There will be no cars allowed on these roads at all for certain periods, which range from 4hrs to all day (depending on the area)

The issues this is going to cause are utterly huge. Most of the area is rural, and the only way in or out is via the closed road. My estate is a case in point.. it's a dead-end road, straight off the road to be closed. There is no alternative. The nearest road that has any access that isn't going to be closed off is about half a mile away, and you can't get to it easily.

Response from Velo south? Could not give a shite. Clearly, the commercial venture here is far more important than local businesses (who are all complaining, and stand to lose thousands in turnover) and people actually getting where they need to go. The bit that gets me is there is NO alternative, so the carers who come three times a day to several of my elderly neighbours will just not be able to get here. Brilliant.

I'm currently hatching a plan as to how I'm going to be able to get my smallest to her (pre-paid-for) swimming lesson, which is 15 miles away. It involves having to ride my £20 ebay snotter of a bike with a child-trailer on the back. The TTRO for the road only prohibits mechanically propelled vehicles, so pedestrians and cyclists are still permitted. I wonder how much chaos I can cause?

Fuckers.
  • wuvvum, chaseracer, myglaren and 5 others like this
Current fleet:  Mercedes.  Xantia.  Berlingo.  Discovery.  Forward Control.  Nova. Historic shite.

#81634 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 5,942 posts
  • 89 thanks

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:08 PM

Borrow a pony and practise trotting up and down the road giving the neighbours a ride in the cart?
  • MarvinsMom and BoggyMires like this

#81635 OFFLINE   Talbot

Talbot

Express

• Full Members
  • 1,641 posts
  • 49 thanks
  • Locationdowel.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:01 PM

Borrow a pony and practise trotting up and down the road giving the neighbours a ride in the cart?

There are some noises about a protest, mainly because of the way that the event has been organised (IE very very badly). There are plans for a few thousand people to walk up part of the route en-masse, and efectively become a rolling roadblock. If it goes ahead, I'll probably join in. The local council has effectively been bribed into these closures, and they are running roughshod over everyones complaints. TTROs aren't really intended for large-scale closures like this, but nevertheless, here we are.
  • Pillock, chaseracer, STUNO and 4 others like this
Current fleet:  Mercedes.  Xantia.  Berlingo.  Discovery.  Forward Control.  Nova. Historic shite.

#81636 ONLINE   MarvinsMom

MarvinsMom

• Full Members
  • 6,419 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationNorth Yorks

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:37 PM

10 days till payday.

dmf bought for rover, along with clutch kit and new slave cylinder.

now to arrange the fitting of said bits.

and black mini got new exhaust and manifold fitted. runs better* so at least it'll make it though a short roadtest* shame nowt else seems to..... (work that is)

it has rewarded yet more attention and money been lavished on it by weeping water into pot 1 & 2's exhaust port. it is starting with OMGHGF, litlle shit box, no doubt as a reward for the new radiator it got after brewing up back in July.

cuntin' shitting little jizz box, no wonder BL went bust in 1974.

god i fuggin' HATE that little turd, thats it, i'm done with it.

• Hooli and BoggyMires like this
Current Fleet-
1974 Mini 1000 PROJECT
1996 Lexus Ls400 IT LIVES!!
2001 Rover 75 CDT Tourer
1997 Rover Mini Cooper Sport
1995 Jaguar XJR-6 SOLD
1989 Austin Metro

#81637 OFFLINE   purplebargeken

purplebargeken

Someone who is developing reduced levels of patience!

• Full Members
  • 12,751 posts
  • 44 thanks
  • LocationSatan's Shitty Toilet

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:54 PM

^I'll give you £100 for it! :)

• DeeJay, MarvinsMom and Hooli like this
Hyundai i10 auto - white goods shite
Rover 75 1.8 auto - wafty kettle
Ford Galaxy - big red shite with added space
Triumph Toledo - 2.0 for added sleeper shite
Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto - crusty shite
MG ZT Mean Green Machine
MGF 1.8 VVC BRG floppytop shite

#81638 ONLINE   Pillock

Pillock

It's true.

• Staff
  • 17,584 posts
  • 93 thanks
  • LocationMassive Wang.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:55 PM

I'm tempted to travel to wherever you are and join the cycle race protest.

Bikes are brilliant. Bikes and cars can share the same road, no problem. Someone's hobby though should not interfere with anyone else's life, especially stuff like carers.

I was most impressed to see after a few run-ins between lycra tossers and drivers, the local cycle club has started enforcing "STOP. FOOT DOWN" signs are junctions where they should give way, but historically haven't because it might shave a second off their time.
  • mercedade likes this

#81639 OFFLINE   STUNO

STUNO

Out of the rat race

• Full Members
  • 3,682 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationSouth Waikato

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:59 PM

Had a puncture in the Suzuki a few weeks ago, I took it into a tyre co. as it may have needed a new tyre. All was well and the tyre was plugged and refitted. But soon i noticed there seemed to be a bulge in a tyre, quite noticeable at about 60kmh and bloody bad by 100kmh.

So back to the tyre seller as the tyre may have developed a bulge after being plugged. I had run my hand round every one to try to feel a bulge but no luck. The lad removed the hubcap, and the manager who was watching said a few choice words and actually let out an embarrased laugh. The original fitter had put the nuts on back to front (taper out) and it was enough to allow the wheel to sit slightly off-centre. Refitted correctly and all was well, manager went to find out who had done the job and "have a word".

1994 Mazda Lantis

#81640 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

• Full Members
  • 1,074 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationFormby

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:36 AM

My head ... My guts ...
  • Richard, BorniteIdentity, yellowperil and 2 others like this

Tottering Information Terminals Seriously Upset Passengers

#81641 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 3,897 posts
  • 39 thanks

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:42 AM

My head ... My guts ...

Morning mate!!
[/overenthusiasticmorningpersonmode]
  • chaseracer, Hooli, MikeR and 2 others like this

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  231k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  186k|   1989 Mercedes Benz 190 bASe.  96k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  154k|

https://sierrabase.wordpress.com/

#81642 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

• Full Members
  • 1,074 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationFormby

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:19 AM

Velo south reminds me of the do's near us in Southport and Liverpool , main roads , car parks , are closed with little warning or notice to people outside the area affected .

so the trip out becomes a nightmare of q's and detours .

we now stay away , how anyone can justify the closing of main routes is beyond sense ..

#81643 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

Apologising everyday since 1990

• Full Members
  • 5,483 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationFormby - Just around the corner from MikeR

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:36 AM

Del Boy's vehicle was a RELIANT REGAL!!!!!!! If you want to be pedantic a "Supervan iv" (i think).SWMBO thinks I'm a sad old grumpy fecker, which I probably am, but I knew all on here would understand.ITS NOT A ROBIN RELIANT YOU STUPID TWATS!!!! YOU DONT SAY "I DRIVE A MONDEO FORD" DO YOU????Thanks, I feel better now.....

I just wanted to post this and thank you from all of us for 10 years of having somewhere to rant and generally get things off our chests.

My grump this morning is that whilst I am alone with the cat for another 30 hours, so had some simple car repairs planned, but it is pissing down and the omega can not fit in the garage.
  • outlaw118 likes this

#81644 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

• Full Members
  • 5,483 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:37 AM

My head ... My guts ...

DO you have bacon? Would you like me to bring some around?

#81645 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

• Full Members
  • 5,483 posts
  • 18 thanks

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:51 AM

manager went to find out who had done the job and "have a word".

Brings back memories when I worked as a quality engineer for a company that supplied hydraulics for diggers and earthmovers. Every month we went with a list to a company near Uttoxeter, with our list of shit we had sent them, what our investigation had found and how we had fixed it. I remember one meeting where they asked us how we could be sure that retraining the operator was a permanent fix.
My boss interrupted me with "We rang up the agency and told them that he was no longer needed and we won't ever need HIM again"
I was shocked when their quality director said "Good. Can we have his name so we can ensure we don't employ him too"

I was expecting them to start questioning our lackadaisical approach to recruitment and training which resulted in us employing idiots and failing to train them properly.

#81646 ONLINE   HH-R

HH-R

chin-o tosspot silver cloud

• Full Members
  • 3,433 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • Locationin ur fridge eating ur foodz

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:47 AM

There's a similar bike race in Northumberland every year, brings our already hopeless road system into utter chaos, folk can't get to work or it means you're stuck in traffic for hours.

Could the council give a shit? Nope. Car drivers are scum and just driving for a laugh.

#81647 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

• Full Members
  • 1,074 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationFormby

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:41 AM

DO you have bacon? Would you like me to bring some around?

just had me sausage butty and a few cuppas thanks

• New POD likes this

#81648 OFFLINE   BoggyMires

BoggyMires

• Full Members
  • 522 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationThe A14

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:11 AM

My head ... My guts ...

What you need sir is this:

IMG_20180915_092855130.jpg

Spicy bacon and brie melt.

It appears to have cured the cavernous gut feeling I had after drinking much of the contents of Camden last night.

• purplebargeken likes this

1986 BMW 635CSi - The battle has commenced! (Again...)

1998 BMW E36 318i Touring - Works very well
2001 Land Rover Discovery V8 - Works very well (seriously...)

event.png

#81649 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 2,806 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationNot currently in Ireland

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:49 AM

There are some noises about a protest, mainly because of the way that the event has been organised (IE very very badly). There are plans for a few thousand people to walk up part of the route en-masse, and efectively become a rolling roadblock. If it goes ahead, I'll probably join in. The local council has effectively been bribed into these closures, and they are running roughshod over everyones complaints. TTROs aren't really intended for large-scale closures like this, but nevertheless, here we are.

I believe some people have resorted in the past to spreading nails and tacks on the road surface by way of protest, as well as changing direction signs and route markers....
F*ck your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside,
F*ck your Subaru, I have a horse outside.
And f*ck your Mitsubishi, I've a horse outside,
If you're lookin' for a ride, I've got a horse outside

#81650 ONLINE   MarvinsMom

MarvinsMom

• Full Members
  • 6,419 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationNorth Yorks

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:52 AM

^I'll give you £100 for it! :)

don't tempt me..... it could so soon become "you're problem"

then you will be fuuuucked.

• purplebargeken likes this
Current Fleet-
1974 Mini 1000 PROJECT
1996 Lexus Ls400 IT LIVES!!
2001 Rover 75 CDT Tourer
1997 Rover Mini Cooper Sport
1995 Jaguar XJR-6 SOLD
1989 Austin Metro

#81651 OFFLINE   Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Fly in the ointment

• Full Members
  • 886 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:02 AM

Account cleaned out again..... no idea how is time as I refuse to do online anymore. Luckily I have a tiny bit of cash in my pocket, so can still take munchkin to meet his friends for the trampolining. Get paid next Friday and I think fridge is stocked enough....... Monday will be 'interesting' when I try and find out who the fuck 'Isolation Inc' are...... as I haven't seen anything online that makes sense.
My bank are absolutely fucking useless though so not holding out much hope. Long drawn out argument before getting back what's mine!
Perfect timing for the weekend - bollox

#81652 OFFLINE   95 quid Peugeot

95 quid Peugeot

• Full Members
  • 746 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • LocationSuffuck

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:25 AM

Nosey fuckers who think it's acceptable to "view" your house when it's for sale.
Couple just pitched up for a 12o'clock view. Out by 12.04. We've lived here 8 years and even I can't run around here that quickly

CHOD

The Peugeot 406 of much cheapness. 190k miles  Deceased, twatted into Central Reservation of A1 Southbound, RIP 10/12/16...Relaced with 406 estate.

The Gaylander TD4 of much gayness. 172k miles 180k miles Sold to nice Romanian man to take to Eastern Europe. Replaced with another. 

The BMW Z4 in the delightful bell end purple colour.      :angry-smiley-007:

The Rover 75 of much comfyness 126k miles, new purchase, very Count Arthur Strong Sold 11.6/17 (Trilby moved to Sterling post sale)

The Clitroen ZX of much gifferness reliably earning me .45p/mile work use  sold .roffled. and bought back from winner...........  95 quid mansions pool car.

The Team Sven Mobiles V70 and XC70  why oh why ?

NICE SHITE (Now much reduced in Number)

Saab 96

Renault Dauphine

BMW Z4  Ordered by Mrs 95 Quid to move her car into this section. :-D and its still bell end purple.

#81653 OFFLINE   purplebargeken

purplebargeken

Someone who is developing reduced levels of patience!

• Full Members
  • 12,751 posts
  • 44 thanks
  • LocationSatan's Shitty Toilet

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:14 PM

Fucks sake, want to try the Mothers interior trim cleaner/restorer 'VLR', bought a bottle on ebay, never turned up, seller gave me a full refund instead of sending another like I asked. Grump. Second ebay purchase, the seller said that they'd run out and cancelled the order. 

Fucks sake. Have emailed the UK branch of Mothers asking if I can buy some directly from them. 

Shouldn't be this bloody problematic unless there is suddenly a worldwide shortage. 

Hyundai i10 auto - white goods shite
Rover 75 1.8 auto - wafty kettle
Ford Galaxy - big red shite with added space
Triumph Toledo - 2.0 for added sleeper shite
Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto - crusty shite
MG ZT Mean Green Machine
MGF 1.8 VVC BRG floppytop shite

#81654 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

• Full Members
  • 1,074 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationFormby

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:08 PM

the local swimming pool meet up on a Saturday morning , the mothers are so tight/lazy/thick they wont pay to  use the lockers to put their stuff away ,

choosing instead to lock the entrance side of the changing cubicle and then walking out to the pool ,

leaving others like my self looking for a empty changing  cubicle ...

so I walked around to the poolside of the rooms and lo and  behold , access to many changing  rooms , complete with clothes and hand bags galore ,

and this is the same place stuff goes missing !!!

#81655 OFFLINE   bolognasal spray

bolognasal spray

• Full Members
  • 286 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:11 PM

But aren't the lockers just a deposit?? Ours are a quid which you get back when you put your (wrist banded) key in.

2004 Focus “Edge” (1.8 pezzer)

2009 Focus estate (1.8 pezzer)

2000 zx9r C2

2006 Honda IZY HRG 416 PK

1997 cb500

2011 klx 250

2009 Renault Master (diseasil)

#81656 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

• Full Members
  • 1,074 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationFormby

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:15 PM

But aren't the lockers just a deposit?? Ours are a quid which you get back when you put your (wrist banded) key in.

yes they are , but still too tight/lazy/thick to use them ....  

now I have a work around , ie walk around to poolside and kick a door open , and occupy a changing room ,

squatters rights and all that .....

• Hooli and GrumpiusMaximus like this

#81657 OFFLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Yeah, yeah.. I'll do it in a minute....

• Full Members
  • 5,479 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:17 PM

Nosey fuckers who think it's acceptable to "view" your house when it's for sale.
Couple just pitched up for a 12o'clock view. Out by 12.04. We've lived here 8 years and even I can't run around here that quickly

To be fair to them, I've been to view houses and decided it wasn't for me before I got out the car.
No disrespect to your house (I have no idea) but it won't be for everyone so having made an appointment it is only polite to go in and go through the motions.
Or they might suprise you with an offer.
  • DeeJay likes this
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

Don't suffer in silence. Samaritans 116 123

#81658 OFFLINE   DeeJay

DeeJay

• Full Members
  • 1,719 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:29 PM

Fucks sake, want to try the Mothers interior trim cleaner/restorer 'VLR', bought a bottle on ebay, never turned up, seller gave me a full refund instead of sending another like I asked. Grump. Second ebay purchase, the seller said that they'd run out and cancelled the order. 

Fucks sake. Have emailed the UK branch of Mothers asking if I can buy some directly from them. 

Shouldn't be this bloody problematic unless there is suddenly a worldwide shortage. 

Mothers interior cleaner, sounds like a douche, and the seller.

• myglaren and Ghosty like this

#81659 OFFLINE   twosmoke300

twosmoke300

• Full Members
  • 9,297 posts
  • 62 thanks
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:38 PM

Why has this thread jumped back to June ?

One of the funniest things ive read on here - RIP Dave

Brilliant... late in for lunch I fired up an off-brand pot noodle and while carrying it to the lounge successfully spilled it all over myself, burned the piss out of my hand, soaked my phone with the juice, soaked a load of expense receipts I was also carrying and it hit the hall floor and just fucking exploded....it was literally dripping from the ceiling in my newly decorated hallway. The obvious and considered reaction was to throw an immediate, massive paddy and boot the fucker down the hall while screaming, which has made the whole scenario about 18 times worse.

#81660 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 12,832 posts
  • 151 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:41 PM

Why has this thread jumped back to June ?

The mods will have merged some other thread into it, that always fucks up the indexing for your last read post.

Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

rainagain, Louise2cv